Metroid Dread - A Game 15 Years in the Making [10/08/21], update: Patch Ver. 1.0.1 released

Keyser_Soze

Join intergalactic bounty hunter Samus Aran in her first new 2D Metroid™ story in 19 years

Samus’ story continues after the events of the Metroid™ Fusion game when she descends upon planet ZDR to investigate a mysterious transmission sent to the Galactic Federation. The remote planet has become overrun by vicious alien lifeforms and chilling mechanical menaces. Samus is more agile and capable than ever, but can she overcome the inhuman threat stalking the depths of ZDR?

Face off against unrelenting E.M.M.I. robots

Once DNA-extracting research machines, the imposing E.M.M.I. are now hunting Samus down. Tensions are high as you evade these E.M.M.I. to avoid a cruel death while finding a way to take them down. Find out what turned these robotic wonders into the scourge of ZDR and escape with your life.

Feel Samus’ power grow as you gain maneuvers and abilities

Acquire new and familiar abilities as you traverse the many environments of this dangerous world. Parkour over obstacles, slide through tight spaces, counter enemies, and battle your way through the planet. Return to areas and use your new abilities to find upgrades, alternate paths, and a way forward. Explore the sprawling map, evade and destroy E.M.M.I. robots, and overcome the dread plaguing ZDR.

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

There's a living chozo in the trailer at 1:34.

spacer.png

Watch it be a flashback tease. That said, we rarely ever get Chozo background, so I'll take even that. Nintendo is really expecting folks to go crazy analyzing things here.

21 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Watch it be a flashback tease. That said, we rarely ever get Chozo background, so I'll take even that. Nintendo is really expecting folks to go crazy analyzing things here.

The artwork that is unlocked by getting 100% of items in Samus Returns shows a faction of Chozo that betrayed and killed the ones on SR388, so I would imagine we'd get a follow up on what that was all about.

I'm also interested in knowing what they mean by this being the end of the arc of Samus and the Metroids.

19 minutes ago, Brick said:

The artwork that is unlocked by getting 100% of items in Samus Returns shows a faction of Chozo that betrayed and killed the ones on SR388, so I would imagine we'd get a follow up on what that was all about.

I'm also interested in knowing what they mean by this being the end of the arc of Samus and the Metroids.

It could be the end of the story of Samus versus everything metroid and metroid-adjacent. If they end that storyline after more than thirty years they'd need something big to follow it up. Samus versus that broken off faction of Chozo would be a wildly interesting direction to go in.

I'll say this. It's crazy how Metroid has given us one cohesive, unbroken storyline spanning 1986's game on the NES to 2021's game on the Switch. Nothing else comes even close, so I really hope they aren't planning on breaking anything.

Theory time: the E.M.M.I. look a bit Chozo-like to me. I bet that the militaristic Chozo hinted at in the artwork for Samus Returns built them for the Galactic Federation who wanted them as something that could take down Samus should they ever need to eliminate her. We know that the E.M.M.I. were sent to ZDR to investigate the reappearance of the X-Parasite, but then went M.I.A., and that's why Samus was sent in. Perhaps these deadly robots were sent in as a test to see how tough they are, or it's all a trick by the GF to covertly kill Samus now that she's beginning to ask too many questions, and won't let their Metroid breeding program go on.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Now that we got our new 2D and Prime entries coming I’d also like Nintendo to look at Returnal besides the rouge aspects and make a third person 3D Metroid. 

When that game came out I heard a lot of people saying it felt very Metroid-like. 

I would love another stab at 3D 3rd person Metroid. 

After samus returns I'm all for more 2D metroids (prefer them to the prime series). Yet with that said

1. All chace sequences in Samus Returns sucked horrible ass and that concerns me here :| 

2. Visually it kind of looks bland and barely better than what they did on the 3ds. :(

With that said, I still got my $50 (canadian) Walmart preorder for "A metroid" game, so I'm cool if this is what they ship me. :D 

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

After samus returns I'm all for more 2D metroids (prefer them to the prime series). Yet with that said

1. All chace sequences in Samus Returns sucked horrible ass and that concerns me here :| 

2. Visually it kind of looks bland and barely better than what they did on the 3ds. :(

With that said, I still got my $50 (canadian) Walmart preorder for "A metroid" game, so I'm cool if this is what they ship me. :D 

At least the resolution alone will be a huge upgrade over SR! Looking at the shots on my switch lite and it looks pretty decent!

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'll say this. It's crazy how Metroid has given us one cohesive, unbroken storyline spanning 1986's game on the NES to 2021's game on the Switch. Nothing else comes even close, so I really hope they aren't planning on breaking anything.

I stopped caring about the story with Other M.  So I’ll be a skeptic.

Prime 3’s closing hours were the best place Metroid has been since Super, IMO.  I’m more interested to see where that goes.

The only reason this is obviously a full price game is because it’s a major Nintendo brand. Look at the Ori games, for example. Those are beautifully made, thoughtfully constructed games that are likely (total guess here) comparable in size and scope to this game, and those were $30. Hollow Knight launched at what, $15-20? Bloodstained was in that range as well. 

Arguing about what a game is “worth” feels largely pointless, and my perspective might be a little skewed since I almost never pay $50+ for games any more. I’m just saying it’s not completely unreasonable to look at that trailer and think that game would/should be less than full price. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

The only reason this is obviously a full price game is because it’s a major Nintendo brand. Look at the Ori games, for example. Those are beautifully made, thoughtfully constructed games that are likely (total guess here) comparable in size and scope to this game, and those were $30. Hollow Knight launched at what, $15-20? Bloodstained was in that range as well. 

Arguing about what a game is “worth” feels largely pointless, and my perspective might be a little skewed since I almost never pay $50+ for games any more. I’m just saying it’s not completely unreasonable to look at that trailer and think that game would/should be less than full price. 

Samus Returns was a full priced 3DS game.  The biggest difference now is that Switch games go for much higher MSRPs.  Nintendo charges this much because they can.

I’m not so mad about Metroid being $60.  It’s the thing that inspired everything else, and in many ways, still stands out from the pack.  I’m more frustrated by their $60 games never dropping below $40 unless there’s Rabbids in it.

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I’m not so mad about Metroid being $60.  It’s the thing that inspired everything else, and in many ways, still stands out from the pack.  I’m more frustrated by their $60 games never dropping below $40 unless there’s Rabbids in it.

That bugs me too. The Switch needs some Nintendo Selects.