Metroid Dread - A Game 15 Years in the Making [10/08/21], update: Patch Ver. 1.0.1 released

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

The scores are a tad bit lower than what I was expecting but still very good scores. I'll definitely play this at some point. 

It's basically on par with every other highest rated game that's come out this year.  For a 2D Metroid in 2021, I think that gets the job done.  GOTY could get interesting.

wWwLr25.png

I've really enjoyed seeing all the diversity this year.  Not as much open world glut. 

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

It's basically on par with every other highest rated game that's come out this year.  For a 2D Metroid in 2021, I think that gets the job done.  GOTY could get interesting.

wWwLr25.png

I've really enjoyed seeing all the diversity this year.  Not as much open world glut. 

I wanted to make this post but you said it much better with the picture and all. This has been a low key awesome year for games, I’m loving it.

We didn’t have one game that is like an obvious goty contender, like a Zelda or a God of War, but we had a lot of games that normally would have almost qualified. 

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

The scores are a tad bit lower than what I was expecting but still very good scores. I'll definitely play this at some point. 

It's still pretty close to what 2D Metroids have scored in the past. Samus Returns is 87/89 on opencritic. Fusion was 92 and Zero Mission 89 on metacritic.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Same. I've wanted a good Metroid since Prime and have been left wanting ever since 

The last Metroid I played / finished was Super Metroid. I did play Prime but life was weird back then and I didn’t get very far into it. Gonna be very interesting returning to this series after so long. 

9 hours ago, nublood said:

The last Metroid I played / finished was Super Metroid. I did play Prime but life was weird back then and I didn’t get very far into it. Gonna be very interesting returning to this series after so long. 

Again.. Same for me. But it was interesting enough that I pushed past the weirdness lol. Prime 2.. Not so much. Lost interest after a few hours. Same with that atrocity that was Other M. Hated that one. 

2 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Again.. Same for me. But it was interesting enough that I pushed past the weirdness lol. Prime 2.. Not so much. Lost interest after a few hours. Same with that atrocity that was Other M. Hated that one. 

The final area of Prime 2 might be the best zone in the entire series, 2D or 3D.  The game is a slow burn overall though, with some balance issues in the Gamecube original.

I actually enjoyed Other M when it wasn't trying to be not-Metroid.  100%'d it and beat the secret boss.  It was best when it shut up and let you find secrets - it's actually less linear in that regard than Fusion.  I feel like it was one sequel away from atoning for itself.  But we'll never see it due to everyone's reaction to the story bits.

15 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

The final area of Prime 2 might be the best zone in the entire series, 2D or 3D.  The game is a slow burn overall though, with some balance issues in the Gamecube original.

I actually enjoyed Other M when it wasn't trying to be not-Metroid.  100%'d it and beat the secret boss.  It was best when it shut up and let you find secrets - it's actually less linear in that regard than Fusion.  I feel like it was one sequel away from atoning for itself.  But we'll never see it due to everyone's reaction to the story bits.

You're not the only one. I also actually enjoyed Other M. I would have vastly preferred it if it had instead been designed for analog control. I think there would have been some interesting controls schemes with a third person Metroid with mouse-like sum accuracy.

Either way, I have to say that the EMMI are terrifying. Dread really wants to drill that into your head very early on.

Other M is a generally very fun game tainted by a few trashy pixel hunts and everything about the story being executed as stupidly as possible. There’s no mechanical difference between running through Norfair without Varia for a minute because you have to and Samus not activating Varia in Norfair because Adam hasn’t told you to, but man does latter take all of the cool out of Samus and make her seem like a moron. And the game just never… stops… doing… that.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Other M is a generally very fun game tainted by a few trashy pixel hunts and everything about the story being executed as stupidly as possible. There’s no mechanical difference between running through Norfair without Varia for a minute because you have to and Samus not activating Varia in Norfair because Adam hasn’t told you to, but man does latter take all of the cool out of Samus and make her seem like a moron. And the game just never… stops… doing… that.

Mechanically speaking, they could have placed the Varia suit upgrade on a pedestal in the same room Adam 'unlocks' it for you.  It'd be the same difference. 

I get much more frustrated with doors that lock behind you.  A remnant from Fusion, though not quite as commonplace Other M.  You're actually allowed to backtrack much of the time.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Metroid Dread - A Game 15 Years in the Making [10/08/21], update: Digital Foundry Technical Review
53 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Anybody played it yet? 

I just played it for about 30 minutes as well. REALLY polished as far as movement, presentation etc. Immediately feels like a true Metroid game... and not whatever the hell Other M was trying to be. Mercury Steam seems to have spent a good deal of time trying to make this feel more like Super Metroid and not their own stupid spin off like Team Ninja did 

8 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I just played it for about 30 minutes as well. REALLY polished as far as movement, presentation etc. Immediately feels like a true Metroid game... and not whatever the hell Other M was trying to be. Mercury Steam seems to have spent a good deal of time trying to make this feel more like Super Metroid and not their own stupid spin off like Team Ninja did 

Does it work well with the pro controller ? I hated playing Samus Returns on the 3DS. 

36 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Does it work well with the pro controller ? I hated playing Samus Returns on the 3DS. 

It's better with the Pro Controller, but I wish the game mapped actions across more buttons. If it were up to me, l wouldn't have set free aiming to L+left stick. The right analog stick isn't used, nor is ZR. I would have preferred it if ZR was also a blaster button and the right stick just automatically switched you into free aiming mode.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's better with the Pro Controller, but I wish the game mapped actions across more buttons. If it were up to me, l wouldn't have set free aiming to L+left stick. The right analog stick isn't used, nor is ZR. I would have preferred it if ZR was also a blaster button and the right stick just automatically switched you into free aiming mode.

That sounds pretty obvious that they should do that! For a company so focused on gameplay above all else, Nintendo games often drop the ball somewhat on controls. It’s kind of strange how often there is some weird obvious omission control wise that somehow nobody ever paid attention to.