The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

3 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

It looks like Reno will hit 100 next weekend! Good thing I work at night and the AC is great in my apartment.

Yeah we are looking at that with chances of thunderstorms and high winds during those hot days. Perfect for starting a lightning ignited wildfire. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Um, @SaysWho?, please speak to the Global Weather Council and have them stop this:

That's interesting.

When I visited there two years ago, Seattle was experiencing a big heat wave with highs in the low 80s. It was picture perfect weather for me, but something else for them.

Dunno how I would have felt with 100s.

Our Canadian Weather Network is warning of the heat, and worse still. It is estimated that only 40% of BC residents have an AC unit. I don’t even know if they can escape to a mall or theatre to cool off with Covid restrictions. Although I have no idea what BC is like for Covid at the moment either. 

15 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Our Canadian Weather Network is warning of the heat, and worse still. It is estimated that only 40% of BC residents have an AC unit. I don’t even know if they can escape to a mall or theatre to cool off with Covid restrictions. Although I have no idea what BC is like for Covid at the moment either. 

BC is doing pretty well, I think sub-100 cases per day, now, and something like 70%+ of the total pop with at least one dose. I didn't know so few would have AC. Though we won't be getting the worst of the heat in SK (I think around 30C-35C), more people here have AC. We get really hot summers sometimes, but also really cold winters.

It's supposed to get to 111F/44C here on Sunday. That would be a record high if it happens. Thankfully I'll be at work, where we do have working AC for a change. Only the third floor of my house has AC, and even the basement will probably get to 80-something during the hottest part of the day.

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Shameful, honestly. We have a terrible number of totally preventable heat deaths every year, mostly poor elderly people with no AC.

So at work the AC that was supposedly "fixed" last week couldn't last a damn few hours in the heat. At one point it was damn near 100 degrees in the kitchen. In the "cooler" parts of the restaurant it was still like 85. Our dishwasher damn near had heat stroke (just as hot as the kitchen, but with allllllllll the humidity).

We shut down early, which we might get in trouble for (not that I care), but I'm bringing a thermostat with me to work tomorrow to place in the kitchen. If it gets to 100 with proof, we're closing shit down.

Most businesses are closing tomorrow and Monday, since the vast majority of buildings in Portland do not have central air of any kind, or if it does, it's old and shitty (like mine). The problem is the company I work for has an attitude of basically like "oh, everyone else is closing for the day?! More business for us!" The reason everyone else is closing is because they don't want their cooks dying of heat stroke you fucking goblins.

We've had 3 people put in their 2 week notice over the last couple days, out of a group of like 15. It's a mix of how they've handled the pandemic on top of how they've handled the heat wave.

I'm fucking angry. and I have to be there both Sunday and Monday night, when temps are supposed to reach 115+. It "only" got to like 108 on Saturday.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

So at work the AC that was supposedly "fixed" last week couldn't last a damn few hours in the heat. At one point it was damn near 100 degrees in the kitchen. In the "cooler" parts of the restaurant it was still like 85. Our dishwasher damn near had heat stroke (just as hot as the kitchen, but with allllllllll the humidity).

We shut down early, which we might get in trouble for (not that I care), but I'm bringing a thermostat with me to work tomorrow to place in the kitchen. If it gets to 100 with proof, we're closing shit down.

Most businesses are closing tomorrow and Monday, since the vast majority of buildings in Portland do not have central air of any kind, or if it does, it's old and shitty (like mine). The problem is the company I work for has an attitude of basically like "oh, everyone else is closing for the day?! More business for us!" The reason everyone else is closing is because they don't want their cooks dying of heat stroke you fucking goblins.

We've had 3 people put in their 2 week notice over the last couple days, out of a group of like 15. It's a mix of how they've handled the pandemic on top of how they've handled the heat wave.

I'm fucking angry. and I have to be there both Sunday and Monday night, when temps are supposed to reach 115+. It "only" got to like 108 on Saturday.

What about the customers? Did they complain or didn't care?

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

I can't fucking stand heat and humidity. I've never experienced 110 and humid though. I don't wish that on anyone. 

The future is looking so bleak...

Fuck you’re a lucky man, cause that type of weather is indeed the worst. Sucks being a tourist sometimes because New Orleans is by far the hottest and muggiest shit I have ever experienced. It was hot but with the humidex everyday, but the day we left, was +48C and already over 100f by 7am. Walked, trolly, airstream, bus and river paddle boat were the modes of transportation. You’d think being on the water would bring some relief but the paddle boat was slow and completely made of radiating heated metal. Even had the engine room open to see inside and it felt so much worse. Although they were unloading brown sugar from a boat with cranes scooping the stuff up, and it was one of the most glorious smells ever. THAT I think I can actually thank the heat for providing. That summer was easy to come home and deal with heat wise because I lived a week in Hell. Today in S. Ontario we are pretty hot and muggy (could hit +100f with the humidity) and the dogs aren’t too big of a fan of it. I can only imagine what kind of shit people are dealing with out west

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fuck it's going to be 30C or above for the next 14 days, here. Peaks at 35C on Friday. Still, that's nothing compared to 50C in BC. :dumpster_fire:

Fahrenheit is the superior unit of measure for temperature for everyday use.

(My daughter is with grandparents for the first time in 18 months I'm dedicating my free time to posting)

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fuck it's going to be 30C or above for the next 14 days, here. Peaks at 35C on Friday. Still, that's nothing compared to 50C in BC. :dumpster_fire:

Stop trying to make Celsius happen, Gretchen. It’s not going to happen!

46 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Fahrenheit is the superior unit of measure for temperature for everyday use.

11 minutes ago, Joe said:

Stop trying to make Celsius happen, Gretchen. It’s not going to happen!

I've explained it to one of my Canadian friends (and perhaps on here too)

Fahrenheit measurement is a good "feeling" type of measurement. Like a 10 point scale or a grade point scale. 70 being a C, 80 being a B, etc.

So generally the sweet spot is 70 right, and then above that you're just  grading the heat like wow the temperature is above average, if it's an A it's like super hot.

It's hard to do something like that in Celcius. In Fahrenheit I can say, oh it feels like about 70 but it doesn't quite work in celcius. Oh it feels like 20, but if you go down even 5 degrees it's like a whole other neighborhood.

With the Fahrenheit temperature system, I always imagined that Mr. Fahrenheit based his scale what what he felt/knew the minimum and maximum temperatures experienced in London.  So the coldest of cold days would be considered 0 degrees, and the hottest of hot days would be 100.  I'm pretty sure he was just throwing shit at the wall, but I like to justify the scale somehow. Also I'm pretty sure he wasn't even English.  

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's hard to do something like that in Celcius. In Fahrenheit I can say, oh it feels like about 70 but it doesn't quite work in celcius. Oh it feels like 20, but if you go down even 5 degrees it's like a whole other neighborhood.

What?? You just simply get use to it (and I say that growing up used to Fahrenheit in So Cal).

Sub 20c, It's a chilly 
20c-25c, Nice cool day (68f - 77f)

25c-30c, Perfection (77f - 86f)
30c-39c, Ball sweating meter (low - high, by every 1c) (86f - 102f)

40c+, Fuck man kill me (104f)

To be honest, I look less at the actual temp in Toronto and more the humidity % to determine if the day is going to suck or not. Throw me into 90f-100f weather and zero humidity and i'm good. Throw me in 75f weather with full humidity and I'm ready to just ***king die already. 

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

68 is not the same as 77 and 77 is not the same as 86 wtf dude

I think he means a general range, not that they are identical. Really, measurement scales are something that you get used to. If Celsius was standard and then you switched to Fahrenheit, you'd likely say the same thing (that F makes no sense, is arbitrary, etc). Really that applies to all human experience—you like what you are used to, and other things are strange and scary.