Can anyone recommend some Zelda-likes?

gamer.tv

I have that massive Zelda urge but I don’t actually have any games available to me that I haven’t played to death.

I have access to a Switch, PS4 (and in fairness a Wii U and PS3) and want something with a decent story, overworld, dungeons and an array of items.

Full disclosure - I haven’t played Darksiders or Omani HD and would love to hear impressions on them in relation t mo what I’m looking for - but yeah, any suggestions would be great. 

Oh and I don’t mind if it’s a more modern interpretation of Zelda or a Link to the Past style adventure.

Okami is one of my favourite games. It's a shame that it got overshadowed by Twilight Princess because it's the better game. The art is beautiful. I would love to get a sequel* one day that picks up where the game leaves off, but I doubt we ever will. Just imagine what it could look like on the PS5 with that art style. 

*there was Okami-den for the DS, but it's more of a sidequel with Amaterasu's child, rather than continuing her adventures. 

Hyper Light Drifter has quite a few Zelda LttP elements in it. That being said, it's much more combat focused and difficult than any Zelda game and also a bit abstract.

Also, I know you didn't mention the platform but Alundra (PS1) is probably the best Zelda-like game made in my opinion.

Original Zelda like: Neutopia & Neutopia II (Wii/Wii U VC and PSN), 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)

ALTTP like: Blossom Tales (PC, Switch)

Regarding Darksiders, I've only played the first 2 and I enjoyed them. If you're looking for something similar to a 3D Zelda game they're worth playing.

There are a number of Zelda likes that are forthcoming for Switch and PC.

• Guillotine 1

Play Mystical Ninja starring Goemon if you haven't.  Almost a proto Zelda OoT.  Except 300% more weird.

I beat HOB last year.  Not bad, not a must play, but will scratch that itch.  Just don't expect great combat.

ittle Dew is Zelda with harder puzzles.  I enjoyed what I played, but combat is even more downplayed.

minit is a a 1-2 hour Link's Awakening fix.  Quite good, while it lasts.

Avoid Oceanhorn.  At least the first game.

13 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Play Mystical Ninja starring Goemon if you haven't.  Almost a proto Zelda OoT.  Except 300% more weird.

I beat HOB last year.  Not bad, not a must play, but will scratch that itch.  Just don't expect great combat.

ittle Dew is Zelda with harder puzzles.  I enjoyed what I played, but combat is even more downplayed.

minit is a a 1-2 hour Link's Awakening fix.  Quite good, while it lasts.

Avoid Oceanhorn.  At least the first game.

I remember really wanting Mystical Ninja back in the day but it was either not a PAL game or cost a stupid amount. I may give it a blast.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Play Mystical Ninja starring Goemon 

Wow. Forgot about that game. I imported the Japanese version using some sort of emulator on the N64 back in high school. It wasn't out in the states yet. Great memories and I enjoyed that game. You're correct...it's weird in a good way. 

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

DARKSIDERS IS FUCKING NOT LIKE ZELDA. IT IS A FUCKING LIE. 

There are literally no games out there like the OoT-SS Zelda games. Brutal Legends got close with the first hour of the game but that's it.

They're not quite Zelda clones and combat is more like God of War but the dungeons do resemble the 3D Zelda games and you can ride around the overworld on a horse. I don't think they were the "Zelda killers" some called them but they are enjoyable and have some things in common with the 3D Zelda games. They're Zelda like but not Zelda identical.

Later this summer, there's Kena: Bridge of Spirits coming out. No idea if it'll be any good, but it looks great and might be something to look forward to.

If also recommend Okami. It's the best Zelda-like game that isn't actually a Zelda game. I'd also consider Beyond Good and Evil a Zelda-like even if the setting is sci-fi and not fantasy.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'd also consider Beyond Good and Evil a Zelda-like even if the setting is sci-fi and not fantasy.

It’s Zelda for the first 4th of the game, maybe. Then it’s a stealth platforming game with lots of mini-games bolted on.

I’d still recommend it though.

15 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

3D Dot Game Heroes is a really good Link to the Past clone. Not sure how you access it anymore, though. It was a PS3 exclusive.

Yeah and if you want a physical copy of it, it’s kinda stupid how expensive it is now. You’re looking at about $100 for it with a case. 

6 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah and if you want a physical copy of it, it’s kinda stupid how expensive it is now. You’re looking at about $100 for it with a case. 

Nice! I own a copy and I'm gonna be getting rid of all my games over the next few months!:feelsrona:

21 hours ago, Nokt said:

Last time I saw Okami and Darksiders get recommended I bought them. I played less than a couple hours of Okami and I didn't get more than 30 minutes into Darksiders.

I made it a commendable amount of time into Okami and then Okami HD each and bounce off every time still. It's not just the opening for me. There's something really boring about it to me that I can't put my finger on.

It does look and sound amazing though, that's for sure.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Derek said:

I'm playing Fenyx right now and really enjoying it. Beautiful world, fluid combat, good sense of humor. The pressure plate puzzles are getting to be a bit tedious, but there's a lot to do and find. 

I enjoyed it for about 13 hours then quit. It didn't keep my interest and the puzzles were repetitive and sometimes downright confusing. I'm glad you're enjoying it and maybe you'll stick with it. It's a poor man's Assassin's Creed mixed with BOTW.

I haven't played it yet but the reviews for Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (Switch and PC) are good.

turnip-boy-commits-tax-evasion-switch-he
WWW.NINTENDO.COM

Play as an adorable, yet trouble-making turnip. Avoid paying taxes, solve plantastic puzzles, and take on massive beasts in a journey to tear down a corrupt vegetable government!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1205450/Turnip_Boy_Commits_Tax_Evasion/

Apparently it's pretty short, the one negative Steam review so far finished in less than 2 hours. I decided to give it a chance since it's supposed to be really funny and most people seem to like it.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/turnip-boy-commits-tax-evasion-review#comments

I didn't even get the Zelda/Darksiders comparisons until a few years back when someone had to point out the dungeons and such to me. It was just so fundamentally different on what I consider core parts of the Zelda series that I simply never linked the two mentally. I still really don't, but I can at least see the comparisons.

Unfortunately, there've been precious few Zelda clones. Okami's good but the world always felt dreamy or sleepy to me in a way that made it less exciting, and the battles always being in weird little arenas, again, made it feel fundamentally different to me. It's definitely the closest out of the bunch, and I found it a good game, but never a great one. But maybe it'll work better for you. I know a lot of people really love it.