By the End of Summer, Arkansas Doctors Can Refuse to Treat LGBTQ Patients— The governor signed a bill granting doctors and medical professionals the right to refuse medically necessary treatment to patients based on moral, ethical or religious grounds

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Even if this is eventually overturned, and I actually think scotus will do so here as it discriminates on the basis of sex, lives will have been harmed in the meantime

I was going to point out that the previous ruling on trans rights was before the cultist got rammed through but I just checked and apparently that was a 6-3 ruling. So yeah, I guess you'd get a 5-4 ruling shooting this down. 

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Step one: move to arkansas

Step two: become a doctor (this will be the easy part)

Step three: refuse to help any chud

Checkmate

If you're having a tough night you can be like, "Ok, for the rest of the night all my ER patients get treated only with intercessory prayer!".

55 minutes ago, stepee said:

We need to get cnut and her husband out first.

I've been wondering this as I consider moving to the south. What happens when everyone with a brain just leaves all of the red states behind? I would think the states just get more radical and red. I wonder if that's what's happened to Ohio. They voted blue as recently as 2012, now it seems they're a solid red state. My cousins that grew up there were basically like "I'm getting the fuck out of Ohio as soon as possible."

That doesn't mean people with brains should feel obligated to stay places, people should feel free to do whatever they want. It's just a consideration of a mass exodus of intellectuals from states that have equal voting power. A big reason I think Georgia and Virginia have gone blue is that people DON'T leave Atlanta or Virginia Beach

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've been wondering this as I consider moving to the south. What happens when everyone with a brain just leaves all of the red states behind? I would think the states just get more radical and red

That is what happens. People leave small to mid size towns leaving behind the ultra conservatives. The left over towns feeds off of its self it, either becomes stagnant and survives or it dies. These folks have been led to believe that its Sodom and Gomorrah outside of the community, they will live in abject poverty and refuse to move on.

20 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've been wondering this as I consider moving to the south. What happens when everyone with a brain just leaves all of the red states behind? I would think the states just get more radical and red. I wonder if that's what's happened to Ohio. They voted blue as recently as 2012, now it seems they're a solid red state. My cousins that grew up there were basically like "I'm getting the fuck out of Ohio as soon as possible."

That doesn't mean people with brains should feel obligated to stay places, people should feel free to do whatever they want. It's just a consideration of a mass exodus of intellectuals from states that have equal voting power. A big reason I think Georgia and Virginia have gone blue is that people DON'T leave Atlanta or Virginia Beach

The factory jobs all dried up and these peoples kids all went off to college and moved away to cities like Atlanta, and Virginia is blue because of DC where a lot of the people that work there live in VA.  As a general rule if you live in a state with a metro area that has like half the state population or just across the border from one of these cities you're likely in a blue state.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

So does this bill ban treatment for transitions for trans youth? Or does it ban treatment for anything for trans youth (e.g. broken ankle)?

It bans any gender confirming treatments for trans youth. 

Of course it doesn’t ban treatment for general stuff, that’s insane. Except for the fact the state also just passed a law saying medical providers can refuse non-emergency treatment for people if they claim it conflicts with their beliefs. 🙄

I mean, this is just fucking infuriating. It makes me violently angry. I have a friend with a trans son who has been receiving hormone therapy for the last year or so. Unless the ACLU is successful in getting this blocked, come August, his treatments will stop. The treatments he was able to get after lengthy consultations with a therapist and his pediatrician. They knew what was best for him. Now these fucking Christian bigots are stepping in and saying they know better than this kid’s own doctors. 

Fuck these people. I wish there was a Hell for them to burn in. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It bans any gender confirming treatments for trans youth. 

Of course it doesn’t ban treatment for general stuff, that’s insane. Except for the fact the state also just passed a law saying medical providers can refuse non-emergency treatment for people if they claim it conflicts with their beliefs. 🙄

I wonder if the other law is why the governor tried to veto this one, just being smart enough to realize there was no reason to stir up extra outrage by specifically targeting kids when the other law already covered all the relevant situations anyhow. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

I wonder if the other law is why the governor tried to veto this one, just being smart enough to realize there was no reason to stir up extra outrage by specifically targeting kids when the other law already covered all the relevant situations anyhow. 

Probably. It wasn't much of a stand, he knew the legislature would override. He's likely eyeing a senate seat at some point.

It' boggles my mind that a veto can be overridden with a simple majority. What's the fucking point of a veto in that case?

57 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, this is just fucking infuriating. It makes me violently angry. I have a friend with a trans son who has been receiving hormone therapy for the last year or so. Unless the ACLU is successful in getting this blocked, come August, his treatments will stop. The treatments he was able to get after lengthy consultations with a therapist and his pediatrician. They knew what was best for him. Now these fucking Christian bigots are stepping in and saying they know better than this kid’s own doctors. 

Fuck these people. I wish there was a Hell for them to burn in. 

A hell could be made for them on earth...