~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:
Golden-gun-in-case-d886df.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The Australian Border Force said staff members found the 24-karat gold-plated handgun in the luggage of the 28-year-old woman, who flew from Los Angeles to Sydney.

To think she did all that dancing around Egyptian only to get bused on the way to Australia.

6 hours ago, Derek said:
police-01-as-gty-190813_hpMain_16x9_992.
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Five people are dead after being shot in a home by a suspect armed with AR-15 style rifle, police say.

The murderer is Mexican and the victims are all Honduran, so it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't an ethnocentric dimension to this attack as well.

17 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Hey now I said frequently! :p You're the exception to the rule, and I'm not sure the country can run on that when it comes to guns and our gun culture. 

I think she is much more the norm than the gun-to-grocery-store guy.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

As much as I hate gun culture and believe in getting rid of the Second Amendment, this is probably correct. Even my parents don’t do that shit and they’re far bigger gun nuts than me. They both have a CC but I don’t think they actually carry anywhere in public. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Whether that's the case or not, I'm saying it's not worth the trade off. It doesn't really matter if it empirically is the norm or not. I seriously doubt others are as smart and safe and practical as CastlevaniaNut, most people are poorly educated and religious and love guns, I'm not buying she's the norm except on paper. In practice, she definitely isn't just due to her emotional and political intelligence. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Whether that's the case or not, I'm saying it's not worth the trade off. It doesn't really matter if it empirically is the norm or not. 

I think hunting rifles are essentially fine. Good luck committing mass murder with a bolt-action that only holds 5 rounds. Of course, I'm fine with licensing and registration for hunting rifles, too.

Which is why I say get rid of 2A and rework the entire system to something more sensible. I do own a couple of handguns, but the only time they leave my house is when I take them to shoot targets in the country with my parents and that's rare. My life wouldn't change if I didn't have them.

• Halal 2

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think hunting rifles are essentially fine. Good luck committing mass murder with a bolt-action that only holds 5 rounds. Of course, I'm fine with licensing and registration for hunting rifles, too.

Which is why I say get rid of 2A and rework the entire system to something more sensible. I do own a couple of handguns, but the only time they leave my house is when I take them to shoot targets in the country with my parents and that's rare. My life wouldn't change if I didn't have them.

I agree but it's really not about which guns can kill and can't kill people with easily. The problem is our culture. The way we see, perceive, and want to use guns is tainted by centuries of violence we've put on a pedestal. This country loves guns. "Don't tread on me" BS. Punisher logo t-shirts. We have more shootings than we've ever had.

There's nothing to "rework". We have to get rid of guns, like the UK, South Korea, and Australia, full stop. There's no: "let's carve out a section for hunters" in America. You give Americans a little rope in this regard, they'll take the whole damn thing and work the system somehow. It's just not in us to use these things responsibly, particularly Americans vs. other countries. While I know we'll never get a blanket ban on guns in this country, it's the only solution. I'm down with your suggestion of getting rid of 2A but I don't see a re-working of the system that gun maniacs won't just abuse.

Again, if the tradeoff of us giving up gun ownership entirely because large swathes of the populace can't handle it is the small subsection of people who are smart gun owners who only hunt lose their ability to do so, well, that's an easy trade to make to save lots of lives, right?

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree but it's really not about which guns can kill and can't kill people with easily. The problem is our culture. The way we see, perceive, and want to use guns is tainted by centuries of violence we've put on a pedestal. This country loves guns. "Don't tread on me" BS. Punisher logo t-shirts. We have more shootings than we've ever had.

There's nothing to "rework". We have to get rid of guns, like the UK, South Korea, and Australia, full stop. There's no: "let's carve out a section for hunters" in America. You give Americans a little rope in this regard, they'll take the whole damn thing and work the system somehow. It's just not in us to use these things responsibly, particularly Americans vs. other countries. While I know we'll never get a blanket ban on guns in this country, it's the only solution. I'm down with your suggestion of getting rid of 2A but I don't see a re-working of the system that gun maniacs won't just abuse.

Well, unfortunately we're at a point where even the little things can't get done. I don't see any of that changing in my lifetime. I'll just have to keep being one of the sane ones who doesn't worship my guns or see them as an essential part of my identity.

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, unfortunately we're at a point where even the little things can't get done. I don't see any of that changing in my lifetime. I'll just have to keep being one of the sane ones who doesn't worship my guns or see them as an essential part of my identity.

Yeah, sadly I completely agree. We're not even close to moving the needle much on banning automatic assault rifles and shit, I don't expect a perma-ban on guns in my lifetime either. I just feel bad so many people keep on dying more and more every year to guns in this country and it's getting to a point of absurdism for me. Full Idiocracy.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, sadly I completely agree. We're not even close to moving the needle much on banning automatic assault rifles and shit, I don't expect a perma-ban on guns in my lifetime either. I just feel bad so many people keep on dying more and more every year to guns in this country and it's getting to a point of absurdism for me. Full Idiocracy.

Yep, the culture is depressing as fuck. My books are in bigger danger of being banned than my guns.

• True 3

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yep, the culture is depressing as fuck. My books are in bigger danger of being banned than my guns.

So true, man, that's a truly depressing thought. I fucking hate Republicans. I've been fighting Republicans (and centrist/corporate Democrats) for 20+ years now and this battle of attrition with guns is not helping my confidence after decades of this shit.

Bowling for Columbine came out 21 years ago! Fuck's sake.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

So true, man, that's a truly depressing thought. I fucking hate Republicans. 

Same. I despise the GOP.

And to be clear, I don't disagree with what you said above. I was just speaking on what I personally wish would happen. Let people hunt, so long as they get licensed and register their firearms(doesn't the UK have something like that?) and ban semi-automatics and handguns. That would do such much in cutting down on gun violence. But you're most likely right in that give  the nuts an inch and they'll take a mile.

Either way the 2nd needs to be  gone and it'll never happen.

• Halal 2

14 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Same. I despise the GOP.

And to be clear, I don't disagree with what you said above. I was just speaking on what I personally wish would happen. Let people hunt, so long as they get licensed and register their firearms(doesn't the UK have something like that?) and ban semi-automatics and handguns. That would do such much in cutting down on gun violence. But you're most likely right in that give  the nuts an inch and they'll take a mile.

Either way the 2nd needs to be  gone and it'll never happen.

Yeah to be clear I wish Americans were responsible enough to let people like you hunt. I have nothing against responsible hunting. The shame of it is that the nuts have ruined it for everyone so I feel like drastic measures are needed at this point. But I agree with you nothing drastic is likely to ever happen and the second amendment is likely also never going away. I mean kids are dying but we can't seem to move the needle is just so frustrating. Banning all guns, your version of things, I'll take whatever at this point if it helps stop even one death.

• Halal 2

I'm with cnut, I think there are exceptions like people who raise livestock that occasionally do need to shoot like boars, coyotes, etc. As she said, good luck conducting a mass shooting with a bolt action rifle or a breach loading shotgun.

The problem is a lot of those people who DO need an occasional rifle every now and then are the same people who will fight tooth and nail to keep assault rifles because they're all filled to the brim with "don't tread on me" bullshit. They all think they're John McClain.

• True 2

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

And another one

230429094648-01-cleveland-texas-shooting
WWW.CNN.COM

A gunman is still at large after allegedly fatally shooting five people, including an 8-year-old, in a Cleveland, Texas home after a Friday night rampage that started with a noise complaint about gunfire, according...

dude was shooting his rifle in his yard/driveway, his neighbors asked him to stop because their kid was trying to sleep, he responded by going to their house and murdering all of them.

Thoughts and prayers, people... Thoughts and prayers.

That's the one posted earlier.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jason said:
230429170013-02-cleveland-texas-shooting
WWW.CNN.COM

A gunman is still at large after allegedly fatally shooting five people, including an 8-year-old, in a Cleveland, Texas home after a Friday night rampage that started with a noise complaint about...

You’re the third person. 

On 4/30/2023 at 12:07 AM, Jason said:
230429170013-02-cleveland-texas-shooting
WWW.CNN.COM

A gunman is still at large after allegedly fatally shooting five people, including an 8-year-old, in a Cleveland, Texas home after a Friday night rampage that started with a noise complaint about...

This one can be approved by the GOP, it is a non-white shooter so they can spin this around and claim that the “immigrant threat” validates the need for “good white real Americans” to have guns.. its a win win..

hell the victims even called for cops 5 different time and they didnt show up until after the fact… What is it with Texas cops and their response? are they Demolition Man disciples? seriously whats their Boggle??

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

Greg Abbott’s tweet about the Mexican man killing the five Hondurans is fucking disgusting. He had to specify that they were illegal immigrants.

He trash