~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Read the article. It's not just "typical gun buying folks". A lot of black folks I know who would have never considered buying guns before are entertaing. I'd imagine the same is true for Jews, Asians,  The LGBTQ community and other marginalized groups.

I did read the article. I maintain that gun ownership for personal safety has a negative risk / reward ratio regardless of the unique circumstances or demographics that would lead someone to conclude it’s the correct personal decision. I’m not going to flatter myself to the point where I can say, “I get it,” and actually put myself in someone else’s shoes, but at the end of the day a gun in a home is a gun in the home. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I did read the article. I maintain that gun ownership for personal safety has a negative risk / reward ratio regardless of the unique circumstances or demographics that would lead someone to conclude it’s the correct personal decision. I’m not going to flatter myself to the point where I can say, “I get it,” and actually put myself in someone else’s shoes, but at the end of the day a gun in a home is a gun in the home. 

The solution to the problem is still "more guns!" which hasn't worked so far. It's like adding more explosive barrels to a Doom map. You hit the point where when one explodes, they all go off. 

perfect loops GIF

16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I agree and as I've said earlier,  Knowing the statistics of gun ownership vs not having a gun, I've elected not to own one. However I totally get people from marginalized communities who are being vilified and targeted everyday wanted to arm themselves given today's climate. Personally I've never been against gun ownership in principle.  It's just how we practice it in this country is insane and leads to people getting shot for no reason at all.

• True 1

12 minutes ago, Ominous said:

The solution to the problem is still "more guns!" which hasn't worked so far. It's like adding more explosive barrels to a Doom map. You hit the point where when one explodes, they all go off. 

perfect loops GIF

Considering the situation facing marginalized groups in large swathes of the country, if that's the outcome, then so be it.

There will NEVER be anything resembling effective gun control in this country and it's a fool's errand to keep wishing/hoping for it to be otherwise.  That game is well and truly over.

And because it's over, then the next least-worst alternative is to ensure that marginalized individuals have the same rights and privileges when it comes to firearms ownership as the dominant social class so that at least that facet of "white privilege" can be knocked down a notch or two.

• Like 1
  • True 3
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I agree and as I've said earlier,  Knowing the statistics of gun ownership vs not having a gun, I've elected not to own one. However I totally get people from marginalized communities who are being vilified and targeted everyday wanted to arm themselves given today's climate. Personally I've never been against gun ownership in principle.  It's just how we practice it in this country is insane and leads to people getting shot for no reason at all.

While I can fully understand why people from marginalized communities may want to arm themselves, I do hope they understand they will not be afforded the benefit of the doubt by police across the nation.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also let me point out that the only time the NRA was for regulating guns was when the Black Panthers openly exercised their right to carry. 

the-nra-supported-gun-control-when-the-b
WWW.HISTORY.COM

Back in the 1960s, even the NRA supported gun control to disarm the group.

Nothing scares white people more than minorities with power or who may push back. 

• True 3
  • Halal 2

700.png
APNEWS.COM

A Florida prosecutor has ordered an investigation into shots being fired at a couple who mistakenly turned onto the wrong property in a Fort Lauderdale suburb. A Broward County state attorney says he wants Davie police to turn over their reports. The department decided not to charge anyone in the case, but didn't consult prosecutors. No one was injured in the April 15 shooting. The couple whose care was fired on was...

• Halal 2

Ettore-Lacchei-murder-martys-ht-thg-2304
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

According to the Lake County Sheriff's Office, William Martys was found dead in his driveway around 7:35 p.m. on April 12 with a gunshot wound to his head.

Driveways becoming one of the most dangerous spots in the US. The only shooting I do on the driveway is some hoops. 

28 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

What? I love my leaf blower. I had two but gave one to a coworker to further promote there use!

Gas ones are obviously worse, but electric leaf blowers still kick a lot of noxious stuff into the air that you really don't want to be breathing in. And that noxious stuff can linger for hours and travel a good distance from where the leaf blower was used.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Gas ones are obviously worse, but electric leaf blowers still kick a lot of noxious stuff into the air that you really don't want to be breathing in. And that noxious stuff can linger for hours and travel a good distance from where the leaf blower was used.

Yeah, but my electric leaf blower also uses the same battery as my mower and snow blower and also doubles as a leaf mulcher and vacuum. I don't want to give it up.

29 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, but my electric leaf blower also uses the same battery as my mower and snow blower and also doubles as a leaf mulcher and vacuum. I don't want to give it up.

"Destroying my air quality is worth it for some minor convenience." :flag:

• True 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I live on the edge of the state forest. Anyone worried about pollen, insects, and what not being blown into the air should just stay far away.

I live in a city and at least 90% of the time I see people using leafblowers they're just standing around kicking up big clouds of dust (dirt, animal shit, etc). 50/50 on whether they're even trying to blow it across the property line.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I live in a city and at least 90% of the time I see people using leafblowers they're just standing around kicking up big clouds of dust (dirt, animal shit, etc). 50/50 on whether they're even trying to blow it across the property line.

Most of the time they're just blowing things into the street so it becomes the city's problem. Until it all gets blown back into the sidewalks/yards and the process repeats.

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

No, fuck those people. They should have a leaf vacuum because you know they're just blowing it onto other people's property or into the street. In my backyard, I'm blowing leaves out into the forest and in my front I'm blowing them into a pile I can vacuum up and stuff in bags.

14 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

That sounds… glorious!

_24V-X2-BVM143_WYGcopy2.jpg?auto=compres
SNOWJOE.COM

BREEZE THROUGH YOUR CHORES! Lightweight, sleek and powerful,

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Most of the time they're just blowing things into the street so it becomes the city's problem. Until it all gets blown back into the sidewalks/yards and the process repeats.

Blowing leaves off your property to make it someone else's/the city's problem is shitty but at least makes sense. What I see is literally guys with leafblowers just walking down the sidewalk aiming their blower at the sidewalk kicking up dust clouds. It makes literally zero sense. It's on the sidewalk so it's already off the property of the person paying them.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Blowing leaves off your property to make it someone else's/the city's problem is shitty but at least makes sense. What I see is literally guys with leafblowers just walking down the sidewalk aiming their blower at the sidewalk kicking up dust clouds. It makes literally zero sense. It's on the sidewalk so it's already off the property of the person paying them.

I think it's a city-by-city thing, but in a lot of cities you are legally responsible for the area outside of what is officially your property, e.g. the sidewalk, strip of grass between your sidewalk and the street, etc. Which I've heard a lot of homeowners complain about, especially when it comes to things like sidewalk repairs, which get expensive (particularly if your property has "historic" sidewalks :silly:, which apparently is a thing). 

Anyway, all to say maybe they were cleaning off the sidewalk for this reason. :confused: