~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I've wondered about this. Was the shooter specifically targeting the women and little girls or were there just more girls in the classroom?

I don't know. And it definitely could be a coincidence. What is not a coincidence is that the vast majority of these killers (typically 15-25-year-old men) are found out to have women-hating beliefs.

• True 1

On 5/27/2022 at 11:34 AM, Fizzzzle said:

2A gun nuts are starting to sound like addicts. You know how every addict is quick to blame all of their problems on everything except their addiction? "I couldn't pay rent this month, not because I spent $1000 on booze/drugs/gambling, but because [X, y, and z that leaves my addiction out of it]

Source: am an addict, it's how I rationalize my problems away without dealing with it.

So that makes me ask, what are these people addicted to? I suppose you could be addicted to guns. Going to a range and blowing shit up definitely makes you feel good. Fantasizing about going John McClain on some bad guys makes you feel good. I don't think that's enough, though, and definitely only covers a small minority of people.

I think they're addicted to fear. The media has taught them that someone is out to get them, and their addiction is listening to Fox News telling them their world is ending, then they go load their shotgun. They get addicted to that rush.

The gun culture in America is an addiction. We need to start treating it like one. I don't even know what that means.

The question is, where does the addiction to NRA-style gun nut behavior stem from/what causes it?  Is it more accurate to chalk it up to addictive personality, or a symptom of a personal truth in which the constitution/colonial way of life/american exceptionalism/etc are worshipped like a religion?

In other words, a cult. Always has been. And one of many. Everyone with a functioning sense of cultural awareness knew things were never great, but it seems clearer than ever now that cultism's on the rise at an alarming scale.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

The question is, where does the addiction to NRA-style gun nut behavior stem from/what causes it?  Is it more accurate to chalk it up to addictive personality, or a symptom of a personal truth in which the constitution/colonial way of life/american exceptionalism/etc are worshipped like a religion?

In other words, a cult. Always has been. And one of many. Everyone with a functioning sense of cultural awareness knew things were never great, but it seems clearer than ever now that cultism's on the rise at an alarming scale.

It isn't a question of addiction. It's a matter of Identity. A portion of this country has folded unfettered gun ownership into the very fabric of their identity and they see any challenge to that as an attack on THEM. It's really that simple.

• Like 1
  • True 6

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It isn't a question of addiction. It's a matter of Identity. A portion of this country has folded unfettered gun ownership into the very fabric of their identity and they see any challenge to that as an attack on THEM. It's really that simple.

My in-laws have a door mat in their garage with the silhouette of an AR-15 and a tag line that says, 'This house is protected by the 2nd Amendment' 

• Halal 2

We legit need an angry react. I am so mad, every little piece of new information, every dodge of responsibility. Every time I think of these 10 year old survivors, many who are likely having panic attacks, nightmares, all of it. These sweet little kids for which today should be the start of a fun summer school break being broken by our nation that continues to be unwilling to do what needs to be done to end this. 

Furious.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:24 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

And one of many forms cult mentality like that takes. For some it's gun-owning and thinking presidents like trump or ones from many generations ago are gods, for others it's anime, vidya and internet meme lore, tenets of viking spirituality, goopy live laugh love ethos, venting hostility about women while worshipping toxic masculinity, eco/mother nature shit, neckbeard atheism, woo woo psychedelia/self help nonsense, celebrity-worship or hate, escapism and spectacle addiction, money and fame, being the best at Elden Ring, etc and various ways these interests and mentalities and more might intersect.  All of it as usual stemming from toxic personal truths with no basis in anything evidence-based and who knows how many more new ones (or are they?) are popping up.

One example of mass-scale cultlike behavior started ramping up on twitch last year. Right now an accurate description might be “the cult of terminally reacting and agreeing”. Streamers put their audiences' critical thinking skills and heart to the test by saying bad info in a deadpan persuasive cadence. You'll see entire chats sometimes filled with up to dozens of thousands of people, all being increasingly cringe and gleefully agreeing with any and every scrap of stupid shit thrown their way like it's a treat. Pretty harrowing!

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's true of addicts, as well. Your drinking becomes a part of your identity, and losing your drinking becomes tantamount to losing part of yourself.

The difference is most alcoholics and drug addicts hit a rock bottom point where they have to confront things or die. Gun nuts get fed a diet of self righteousness from the fear mongering of Fox News and local news outlets.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Read this passage from the girl who survived and tell me you don't want these police punished:

FTxLPQlXwAM5-x3?format=png&name=large

Definitely enough of this for today. See y’all tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So the problem was, the shooter was a Lefist, Trangendered, woke, CRT educated, illegal immigrant gamer and that's why this shooting occured?

EDIT: I forgot to add mentally unstable.

Why add the edit it’s implied by the other items /s 

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There is a very real addiction of buying firearms and for a lot of those people the identity is the cover for that addiction. In fact its almost a meme that if you are around people who are in to firearms that there is a good chance some of them are buying guns and keeping it a secret from their wives or girlfriends. There is a billboard not far from my house for a jewelry store that says something like "Buy her this ring and you can finally tell her about the guns you have been secretly buying". Obviously its a problem no matter what the cause and I am not downplaying your response, just adding some nuisance to the conversation.

I can't link it right now, but Elon Musk tweeted something that, like... Might be a good idea?

He said gun purchases should require what is essentially murder insurance. 

The 2A isn't going anywhere, but if you could somehow weaponize the insurance lobby against the NRA by introducing insurance for guns, which would make insurance companies tons of money... Like, it's not the worst idea I've heard today.

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I can't link it right now, but Elon Musk tweeted something that, like... Might be a good idea?

The 2A isn't going anywhere, but if you could somehow weaponize the insurance lobby against the NRA by introducing insurance for guns, which would make insurance companies tons of money... Like, it's not the worst idea I've heard today.

Shall not infringe my friend. This would be an effective tax on gun ownership. Say hello scotus and goodbye insurance requirement. 

and change to the left of the status quo requires a reconfiguration of the Supreme Court. No other way to go about these things!

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Shall not infringe my friend. This would be an effective tax on gun ownership. Say hello scotus and goodbye insurance requirement. 

and change to the left of the status quo requires a reconfiguration of the Supreme Court. No other way to go about these things!

I don't know. If enough people convince insurance companies that gun insurance should be a thing... If there is one entity that has more lobbying power than the NRA, it's insurance companies.

I'm sure legally mandated car insurance was fought like hell when it was first introduced of

Of all the bad ideas I've heard, this one seems like the most possible

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

This has been proposed before... he didn't come up with this. The Gun Lobby has already effectively shot this idea down. It goes along with the idea of treating guns the same way we treat cars.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This has been proposed before... he didn't come up with this. The Gun Lobby has already effectively shot this idea down. It goes along with the idea of treating guns the same way we treat cars.

I assumed he didn't come up with it. I just also wouldn't dismiss it based on "the gun lobby would shoot it down." Insurance lobby is more powerful. If senators had to choose between the two, the NRA could get fucked.

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

My in-laws have a door mat in their garage with the silhouette of an AR-15 and a tag line that says, 'This house is protected by the 2nd Amendment' 

Hah, you should see the wall of signs hanging in my parents' shop. It's that and more. Plus a few Trump and Confederate flags for good measure. Ugh.

• Guillotine 1