If you regularly buy almond milk, you are a bad person

Joe

• Joe changed the title to If you regularly buy almond milk, you are a bad person
51 minutes ago, Joe said:

Stop drinking almond milk! Try macadamia or oat milk instead.

I use cashew milk.  Oat milk has roughly 5x the calories per 8 oz as cashew milk. I don't drink any kind of milk, but I'll use cashew milk in my overnight oatmeal, shakes, cereal. 

I still enjoy cow milk. I have been using almond and oat milk to make my protein smoothies though.

I always hear vegans talk about how cow milk actually isn't good for humans, as we were never meant to drink it as it's for baby cows, and has long term negative side effects, like cancer, and while part of me thinks, yeah OK true it is for baby cows, I can't help but think this is all just a scare tactic, and vegan propaganda.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I still enjoy cow milk. I have been using almond and oat milk to make my protein smoothies though.

I always hear vegans talk about how cow milk actually isn't good for humans, as we were never meant to drink it as it's for baby cows, and has long term negative side effects, like cancer, and while part of me thinks, yeah OK true it is for baby cows, I can't help but think this is all just a scare tactic, and vegan propaganda.

I think most of the argument is

1.) It's cruel to force a cow to give milk

2.) The energy that goes into getting cow milk (feeding cows) is a waste

3.) The waste from getting cow milk is bad (poop)

You don't need to be a vegan to question why humans drink the milk from another species and don't think it's weird yet people are grossed out by the thought of drinking human breast milk.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think most of the argument is

1.) It's cruel to force a cow to give milk

2.) The energy that goes into getting cow milk (feeding cows) is a waste

3.) The waste from getting cow milk is bad (poop)

You don't need to be a vegan to question why humans drink the milk from another species and don't think it's weird yet people are grossed out by the thought of drinking human breast milk.

Yeah I get all those points, and I've heard them before, but I have specifically heard from some vegans I know, and from people I know who know other vegans, that they say milk is not good for you. It weakens your bones in the long run, and gives you cancer all because we are not supposed to be drinking it from a biology/evolutionary standpoint, and that all the info we were feed growing up about how doctors recommend getting enough dairy products in a healthy and balanced diet was just from the dairy industry lobbyists. I'm skeptical of this because there's a lot of bullshit vegans will believe and spread just to try and get people to stop eating animals (not that I have anything against vegans who do it for personal reasons and aren't preachy about it), like I heard from one that we aren't even supposed to eat meat at all, as our digestive tracts are too short to fully digest it...Fucking what? That's delusional. We absolutely are biologically built to eat meat, fuck our ancestors wouldn't have hunted to begin with if we weren't. We maybe eat too much meat in our diets, and that's a fair thing to think, but to say that we're not supposed to eat meat at all is ridiculous. This is what I mean by vegan propaganda. A guy I used to work with was telling me about how his wife is vegan, and showed him this video of some guy spouting out a bunch of this kind of nonsense, "Do you like eggs? Well you're really just eating a chicken period".

I haven't ever seen anything conclusive that eating dairy in moderation is bad for you. At least it's not worse for you than 90% of the other shit we eat.

There IS absolutely proof that the raising of cows for consumption, whether that be dairy or for meat, is fucking horrible for the environment. The amount of resources it takes to raise a cow vs. the amount of resources we get from eating it/consuming dairy is not proportional. Especially for meat.

That being said, I do still eat dairy, and I ate beef as recently as Christmas, so I'm not saying I'm a saint. But the raising of cows for consumption is 100% absolutely horrible for the environment, and we shouldn't do it. If that means cows go extinct, so be it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some Chobani Vanilla Oat Milk and it's pretty damn good! The texture is super silky, and it tastes like the milk at the end of a bowl of Lucky Charms. It's a touch too sweet for me so I think I'd opt for the plain next time, but all in all I see oat milk as a more than suitable almond milk alternative.

16 hours ago, Chris- said:

I got some Chobani Vanilla Oat Milk and it's pretty damn good! The texture is super silky, and it tastes like the milk at the end of a bowl of Lucky Charms. It's a touch too sweet for me so I think I'd opt for the plain next time, but all in all I see oat milk as a more than suitable almond milk alternative.

I just have a huge bowl of Lucky Charms with whole milk and then drink the milk when I am finished with the cereal.

Think Use Your Head GIF by LeVar Burton

• 4 months later...
On 2/6/2021 at 5:19 PM, Joe said:

I might have to make these a series.

SUSTAINABILITY.UCSF.EDU
almonds-master_0.gif?w=1200&h=630&crop=1
WWW.MOTHERJONES.COM

Despite the historic drought, California just keeps planting one of the thirstiest crops around.

Stop drinking almond milk! Try macadamia or oat milk instead.

On 2/6/2021 at 5:28 PM, gamer.tv said:

I’m definitely in the oat milk camp. If I really want a nut based one, cashew is the winner.

On 2/6/2021 at 6:11 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oat milk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all other non-dairy substitutes.

Seriously, once you've had oat milk, you'll NEVER go back!

On 2/16/2021 at 9:19 PM, Chris- said:

I'd like to thank all of you for suggesting oat milk. My smoothies taste fucking amazing, better than before, and they were really good before. The aftertaste of each gulp is heavenly.

I do second @Ominous's cashew milk suggestion; that's what I usually tried to get and went to almond milk if I couldn't find any cashew milk available. As @Keyser_Soze said, they make so much almond milk that it's way easier to find that than cashew or oat.

But I think oat is becoming much easier to find in stores.