Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-dee, you'll get a prequel in 2023

SaysWho?

thr_placeholder-landscapea.jpg
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

'Wonka' centers on a young Willy Wonka and his adventures prior to opening the world’s most famous chocolate factory.

Wonka, which will hit theaters on March 17, 2023, hails from Paddington director Paul King and Harry Potter producer David Heyman. The studio describes it as focusing on "a young Willy Wonka and his adventures prior to opening the world’s most famous chocolate factory."

Simon Rich wrote the original draft, with Simon Farnaby and King penning the current draft.

In the books by Roald Dahl, Willy Wonka is the eccentric owner of a chocolate factory, with the character debuting in the 1964 book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The character also appeared in Dahl's sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, published in 1972.

tenor.gif?itemid=4674658

tbh, the people attached seem fine. We'll see how this one goes!

• 2 years later...

If they really wanted to be true to the source material they would go back to the original version of the Oompa Loompas...

648fce46067559d88394799d73d99012.jpg
GROOVYHISTORY.COM

The Oompa Loompas from the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, which starred Gene Wilder, bring back fond memories for many of us But author Roald Dahl's original concept for them -- as African tribespeople imported to work in a London factory-- wasn't ready for the big screen, or any screen at all.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ort said:

If they really wanted to be true to the source material they would go back to the original version of the Oompa Loompas...

648fce46067559d88394799d73d99012.jpg
GROOVYHISTORY.COM

The Oompa Loompas from the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, which starred Gene Wilder, bring back fond memories for many of us But author Roald Dahl's original concept for them -- as African tribespeople imported to work...

Big oof. 

It looks really well made and charming, but I didn’t realize this was directly tied to the Wilder Wonka movie. For some reason I just assumed it would be its own interpretation of the source material. But makes sense they would go for that brand recognition and tie it to a beloved movie.

However I did not like the CGI Oompa Loompa at all

Chalamet looks wrong for this part, and I think the reason is that he can't naturally do whimsy. He seems forced. He's been doing so many serious, dramatic roles, and really has been choosing great roles for someone so young, but this is the kind of role that asks for a more seasoned comedic actor for the part. Gene Wilder could do whimsy. Robin Williams could do whimsy. Jim Carrey can do whimsy. Johnnie Depp can do whimsy (even if his Willy Wonka was a bit odd and creepy). I really think they miscast this part by wanting a "good, dramatic" actor who can take the role seriously. 

I have to admit that the stuff with Hugh Grant at the end of the trailer made me chuckle, but overall the trailer honestly didn't get me very hyped up for this. It doesn't seem like a particularly interesting story, IMO, but maybe it's more than the trailer made it out to be.

• 2 months later...

Looks ok-ish…  I dislike that this is tied to the Wilder Wonka because it almost forces scrutiny on the performance.. such as it has been shown so far he has the whimsy aspect of it down but Wilders Wonka had a various cadences in how he spoke and moved this does not match up and it is distracting.. 

10 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Looks ok-ish…  I dislike that this is tied to the Wilder Wonka because it almost forces scrutiny on the performance.. such as it has been shown so far he has the whimsy aspect of it down but Wilders Wonka had a various cadences in how he spoke and moved this does not match up and it is distracting.. 

He's significantly younger here so his mannerisms and tics should not match up, there also need to be differences while resembling the person he becomes.