What are your favorite third-person action/combat games?

ShreddieMercury

I've been trying to find a game with deep action mechanics but nothing so far is scratching that itch.  I'm thinking hand-to-hand combat instead of shooting.  I've tried a couple of Souls games and they do not do it for me.  I do really like character action games, and am working through Metal Gear Rising, which is great if somewhat shallow.  I've already really enjoyed stuff like Bayonetta, God of War, Astral Chain (and most other stuff by Platinum Games), etc.  What else should I hunt down and play, and do you have favorites in this genre?  I'm wondering if I might need to get into fighting games, but they've never really appealed to me since I mostly play single-player stuff.

Mad Max has decent combat, but it absolutely has massive open world bloat problems. Ubisoft-itis, if you will. A big world full of repetitive tasks.

I'd recommend Remember Me. Great combat, great story. Also, seeing as you like Platinum Games, play Vanquish. It's a shooter, but it doesn't really *feel* like a shooter. It's about fast moving, kinetic combat. It's not a "duck for cover and snipe/throw grenades" kind of shooter.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:52 AM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I've been trying to find a game with deep action mechanics but nothing so far is scratching that itch.  I'm thinking hand-to-hand combat instead of shooting.  I've tried a couple of Souls games and they do not do it for me.  I do really like character action games, and am working through Metal Gear Rising, which is great if somewhat shallow.  I've already really enjoyed stuff like Bayonetta, God of War, Astral Chain (and most other stuff by Platinum Games), etc.  What else should I hunt down and play, and do you have favorites in this genre?  I'm wondering if I might need to get into fighting games, but they've never really appealed to me since I mostly play single-player stuff.

If you like Platinum what about Nier Automata?

For hand to hand combat I might suggest Absolver or Aragami.

Can't really recommend it, but Dead Island maybe?

Other random games: Shadow or Mordor series, Mirrors Edge series, Darksider series, Dragonball Xenoverse, Quantum Break, Ryse: Son of Rome

Some great recs in this thread, thanks everyone.  I have played a lot of the games referenced so far - Hades, Control, Mirrors Edge, Shadow of Mordor, Last of Us, Spider-Man.  I think Ninja Gaiden Black is highest on my list now, especially because it's backwards compatible and enhanced on Xbox.  Wish I could play God Hand, but I don't have a PS2.

11 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Some great recs in this thread, thanks everyone.  I have played a lot of the games referenced so far - Hades, Control, Mirrors Edge, Shadow of Mordor, Last of Us, Spider-Man.  I think Ninja Gaiden Black is highest on my list now, especially because it's backwards compatible and enhanced on Xbox.  Wish I could play God Hand, but I don't have a PS2.

Let us know when/if you dive in Ninja Gaiden Black. It's an amazing game and up there in my all-time favorites but I'll warn you, the game is tough with old school save points and the camera needs to be babysat nonstop. As far as I recall, the 'center camera' button is mapped to the R trigger and for good reason. That being said, it's not just the combat system that rules hard, it has a really cool interconnected world and the various areas are designed really well. Give it a bit of time to learn its eccentricities, it's constantly referenced for a reason. 

On 12/15/2020 at 9:29 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

NGB is the best game in the genre, enjoy!

Alice: Madness Returns

Batman Arkham series

Blades of Time

Captain America: Super Soldier

Conan

Dead to Rights: Retribution

DmC

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

The First Templar

Golden Axe: Beast Rider

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

Knights Contract

Lollipop Chainsaw

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Remember Me

Tron: Evolution

Viking: Battle For Asgard

X-Blades

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

Alice: Madness Returns

Batman Arkham series

Blades of Time

Captain America: Super Soldier

Conan

Dead to Rights: Retribution

DmC

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

The First Templar

Golden Axe: Beast Rider

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

Knights Contract

Lollipop Chainsaw

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Remember Me

Tron: Evolution

Viking: Battle For Asgard

X-Blades

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Always wanted to play that Captain America game.