Nintendo says Joycon drift isn't a real problem.

CastletonSnob

A report from a law firm building a case against Nintendo argues that the company thinks that Joy-Con drift in the Nintendo Switch is not a real issue. Joy-Con drift has been plaguing Switch owners since the console was released. The problem affects joysticks, causing them to register directional inputs even when they aren't being touched. It affects both the main Switch console and the Switch Lite.

Joy-Con drift has been a major thorn in the side of numerous Switch owners for a long time, and considering how widespread of an issue it is, many are understandably upset at Nintendo for engineering a console with such a flaw. This frustration has led to legal trouble for Nintendo on more than one occasion. Recently a French law firm even accused the company of manufacturing the issue deliberately in a planned obsolescence complaint. Nintendo is allowing players to mail in their Joy-Cons for free repairs, which would seem to contradict this argument. In fairness, though, the company only started offering repairs after the lawsuits started coming in.

Goddammit, Nintendo.

Found an interesting Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/j3fu5w/nintendo_joycon_drift_class_action_lawsuit/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=58a53a43c01e4904a3410b03249c275b&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=j3fu5w

I haven't run into this personally but the joy con connectivity issues I have run into. My original set was pretty bad. I bought a Mario red and that is much better. I was playing FE via tv series and it lose connection but it was a quick thing. Still I do wish they completely fixed it. I think the joy cons are great over all. Wouldn't want to play competitive smash brothers with them but if I am not on handheld I use them wirelessly without the grip.

I haven't had the joy con drift, but I play primarily docked with a Pro Controller so I maybe just haven't used them enough.  Like @Zaku3 I have definitely had connectivity problems, basically from day one.  Also, random, weird battery readings sometimes where they'll say they are drained and then when I plug them back in they're full and it's fine.  The joy con are definitely not as robustly built as the majority of Nintendo's hardware.

Also, not joy con related, but my Switch's fan goes ham for a minute or two on startup and then calms down, but it's LOUD for the first little bit when I wake it up.

Nintendo can go fuck themselves. I refuse to ever buy another piece of hardware from them until they rectify this situation. They went from having the most reliable hardware in the business to having by far the worst:

I've had 3 different switches and 3 different pro controllers since launch:

1st switch got drift on both joycons after about 6 months of play, I replaced them, but they went bad too then the switch itself died about 1.5 years later from overheating Nintendo wanted $150 to fix it PLUS I had to cover the cost of shipping, so we're talking close to $200. Ended up just selling at as defective for about $120 and picked up a Lite.

Naively I figured "there's no way they would ship a console with built in joycons that still drift right?" Wrong. Less than 4 months after getting a switch lite both joycons started to drift. Luckily this one was under warranty so I got my money back but still frustrating.

First pro controller I picked up was DOA, returned it for another that worked for about 3 years but the bumpers stopped responding intermittently. 

If my current switch breaks or gets drift I'm done.

I spent over $100 to get the neon yellow joy cons before they came to the US and within a year the right joy con had game breaking drift. Bought a kit on Amazon to fix it and it worked for another 6-8 months and now it's unusable again. I have the original red/blue joy cons the system came with, but I'm sure those will inevitably develop the problem. The past year I've just been using the pro controller docked so I don't ruin another joy con set. Ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, ort said:

I've found the Switch to be the biggest piece of crap hardware Nintendo has ever made. I've sent our's in like 3 times.

Fuck the Switch. Fuck Nintendo. Fix your shit.

Myself nor any of my family has had a single problem with the 6 combined we own. Stop eating Doritos while you have it in hand held mode. 

On 10/5/2020 at 4:34 PM, Mercury33 said:

Myself nor any of my family has had a single problem with the 6 combined we own. Stop eating Doritos while you have it in hand held mode. 

Ah, the classic troubleshooting tip of "mine's fine, problem doesn't exist." 

You should work for Nintendo!

Meanwhile I had one drifting worse than my set I'd already had for a year, right out of the box! They must've been really chompin' Doritos while packing it.

On 10/5/2020 at 3:05 PM, ort said:

I've found the Switch to be the biggest piece of crap hardware Nintendo has ever made. I've sent our's in like 3 times.

Fuck the Switch. Fuck Nintendo. Fix your shit.

Yeah, the switch is cool as fuck but everything about it is so fucking shoddy. I don't trust my switch to stand up to a soft breeze. It's such a shame having to coddle a handheld like it's a newborn baby.

20 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Ah, the classic troubleshooting tip of "mine's fine, problem doesn't exist." 

You should work for Nintendo!

Meanwhile I had one drifting worse than my set I'd already had for a year, right out of the box! They must've been really chompin' Doritos while packing it.

Relax nerd. Just cause you don’t know how to take care of your shit. Maybe lick the Cheetos dust off your fingers before opening the box. 

14 hours ago, Moa said:

Yeah, the switch is cool as fuck but everything about it is so fucking shoddy. I don't trust my switch to stand up to a soft breeze. It's such a shame having to coddle a handheld like it's a newborn baby.

No shit, we used to play hot potato with my nephew. We can't play hot potato with a Switch! What if we drop it?

Come to think of it, now that my nephew is older, he does kinda veer off to one side when he walks :whistlin:

Mine doesn’t have drift but the right seems off when trying to make hard turns in kart.  I remember the same feeling from n64 days.  Also, I’ve had it since April and barely use it.  Only play kart like once every two weeks for an hour and have had this problem for a month now.  Anyway, sort of has little to do with this tread but I’m back to being done with Nintendo. It’s not for me.

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I've had to send in four pairs of JoyCon to Nintendo for repairs. Had the Switch since launch. It's an issue. 

Thankfully, I've had zero problems with my Switch Lite. Though I probably just jinxed myself typing that, lol. 

I want a Switch Lite, but the fact that the issue may happen and I'd have to send the whole console away concerns me. 

This also reminds me, I need to start dropping that I want one back into conversation with my wife...

• Like 1