PS5 Pre-order successes and horror stories thread!

Mr.Vic20

• Pikachu changed the title to PS5 Pre-order successes and horror stories thread!
5 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

@Remarkableriotsi think you said you got an email.  Still not guaranteed, first come first serve.  Good luck.

:lol: why even do this by lottery if they don't have enough to fill the emails they sent out? Send out emails, give 24-hours to order, if you don't order by then your spot is then emailed to the next person. Blasting out emails to a set number and then not even being able to provide that set number with a console order is :rofl: 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

:lol: why even do this by lottery if they don't have enough to fill the emails they sent out? Send out emails, give 24-hours to order, if you don't order by then your spot is then emailed to the next person. Blasting out emails to a set number and then not even being able to provide that set number with a console order is :rofl: 

This is what happens when you have 50% failure rates on your production line.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Wait, really?

Sony came out after and denied they altered any production numbers after this report, but didn't deny the 50% yield rate.  They also say they will still have more PS5's than PS4's available at launch and through end of March as well.  Also were reports they were booking Delta flights to ship consoles over in October for launch, so everything seems to be coming in pretty hot.  Might be why available units may seem low right now, uncertainty around those October shipments.  So possibly in the next few weeks could see a lot more Pre-orders opening up.

1200x800.jpg
WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

Sony Corp. has cut its estimated PlayStation 5 production for this fiscal year by 4 million units, down to around 11 million, following production issues with its custom-designed system-on-chip for the new console, according to people familiar with the matter.

But the company has come up against manufacturing issues, such as production yields as low as 50% for its SOC, which have cut into its ability to produce as many consoles as it wishes, said the people, who asked to remain anonymous because the deliberations aren’t public. Yields have been gradually improving but have yet to reach a stable level, they added.

So will Sony become the new red light of death launch system. I guess time will tell. . . but it better not be mine.

wouldn't be the first PlayStation to crap out on me after purchase. The ps3 20gb system was pretty much dead on arrival when I bought it. Work for an hour and would just randomly shut off on its own. Thankfully they replaced it and pretty fast (2 business days) This release might be different

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Could that mean there could be a lot of defective launch units? :/ 

Very doubtful.  The reason they would have low yields is that they are discarding the chips that aren't up to standard that would cause issues.

There are some other rumors floating around regarding what the actual performance of the PS5 will end up being, but they aren't substantiated by anyone I'd know to be a legit insider, so just unfounded rumors for now.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

Very doubtful.  The reason they would have low yields is that they are discarding the chips that aren't up to standard that would cause issues.

There are some other rumors floating around regarding the actual performance of the PS5 will end up being, but they aren't substantiated by anyone I'd know to be a legit insider, so just unfounded rumors for now.

I've just always been concerned with (any) console after PS2 launch units had something like a 70% defect rate (granted, a large amount of these "defective" units were stupid things like being unable to read PS1 memory cards).

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I've just always been concerned with (any) console after PS2 launch units had something like a 70% defect rate (granted, a large amount of these "defective" units were stupid things like being unable to read PS1 memory cards).

And the MS RROD fiasco.  New consoles are always risky.  For some reason I do feel better about the Series X than the PS5 in that regard... but who really knows.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I don't think Sony would put out a box that's defective, in todays age of social media outrage, and them not being as financially healthy as a Microsoft, eating billions in repairs would not be a good thing.

The thing is absolutely humongous though as far as console standards go, so they definitely are running pretty hot to need that large a box for cooling.  2.2Ghz GPU clock speeds and that insanely fast SSD gonna be hot.

13 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

@JPDunks4 :o

After seeing that pic I'm realizing the PS5 might not fit on my TV stand shelf that my PS4 Pro is currently on. Damn that thing is ridiculous. 

Same. I am putting it next to my router.  

This may be the first gen where none of the consoles will be in my tv stand. I am standing the Series X since it’s clearly designed to be. The switch is docked above as well. My wife is going to be so happy to see two boxes sitting on top of the stand. I can’t wait for the comments!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Same. I am putting it next to my router.  

This may be the first gen where none of the consoles will be in my tv stand. I am standing the Series X since it’s clearly designed to be. The switch is docked above as well. My wife is going to be so happy to see two boxes sitting on top of the stand. I can’t wait for the comments!

I think they both look like there designed to be stood up. I'm sure the heat they create is the main reasoning. I know they both can lay horizontally but having them vent strait up is probably the best. I'm sure there will be thermal testing on youtube by the hundreds...lol

23 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Despite receiving no confirmation email, Gamestop has (via chat client) confirmed that my my confirmation code is good and that I will receive a system come launch. Actually chances, still 50/50 :coffee:

The bundle, or did you get lucky and find just a regular unit by itself?

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The bundle, or did you get lucky and find just a regular unit by itself?

The whole damn thing, ALL of it! :lol: Honestly though, the only thing wrong with the bundle, for my tastes, is that the games are physical. I wanted two controllers, don't mind have a physical drive system, can always use another year of PSN. I even wanted both titles, just digital, buuut, its not a big deal because I'll be done with spider man in a matter of days and then I'll just keep Demolition All-Stars in the drive as a testament to my desperation for my son! :sun:

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The whole damn thing, ALL of it! :lol: Honestly though, the only thing wrong with the bundle, for my tastes, is that the games are physical. I wanted two controllers, don't mind have a physical drive system, can always use another year of PSN. I even wanted both titles, just digital, buuut, its not a big deal because I'll be done with spider man in a matter of days and then I'll just keep Demolition All-Stars in the drive as a testament to my desperation for my son! :sun:

Way to keep GameStop alive for another month

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2020 at 4:02 AM, JPDunks4 said:

I've already seen the Ebay listings at $900 for  pre-order confirmation.

Are those DE's or phatty's? Because I'm going to laugh my ass off if someone pays $900 for the $100 cheaper console. 

Anyway pre ordered the phatty through Target. Was not able to get a DE and while I told myself I was going to hold out for that or bust because I literally don't want or need the disc drive, I FOMO'd myself into spending the extra $100 to get one on release day. 

PS5 success story: thanks to tip from maddux4163 here I was able to snag a ps5 from target.com, however if it's any consolation to those feeling unlucky: I waited in line at micro center nearly 8 hours for the RTX 3080 only to be told I was literally the first in line who would not be getting one. Retail Jesus giveth and he taketh away I suppose.

If I manage to snag a 3080 I'll give my ps5 away to somebody here for retail.

• Like 1

Just came back from a GS store. Chick behind the register said that the company expects that most of the physical store pre orders for the PS5 will not happen on release day. She said they they took 50 ish pre orders at the store before they stopped and they expect less then 1/2 half will be fulfilled on release day and may take several weeks before some folks get theirs.

What a shit show

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Just came back from a GS store. Chick behind the register said that the company expects that most of the physical store pre orders for the PS5 will not happen on release day. She said they they took 50 ish pre orders at the store before they stopped and they expect less then 1/2 half will be fulfilled on release day and may take several weeks before some folks get theirs.

What a shit show

2020 is undefeated.

The target.com email also says "on or shortly after release date" and the estimated delivery date is 11/13-11/19

7 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I don't think Sony would put out a box that's defective, in todays age of social media outrage, and them not being as financially healthy as a Microsoft, eating billions in repairs would not be a good thing.

The thing is absolutely humongous though as far as console standards go, so they definitely are running pretty hot to need that large a box for cooling.  2.2Ghz GPU clock speeds and that insanely fast SSD gonna be hot.

I did some measuring and my TV stand is ready for the PS5 to enter it with  nearly 4 inches to spare on both sides.  I feel vindicated for buying the the only entertainment center at Ikea that was deep enough to fit a receiver without it hanging out the back.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

What a shit show

Amazon is also emailing people that pre-ordered telling them they may not get the console day 1 as well.

Seems retailers have no idea what kind of stock they are getting.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

What a shit show

From what i remember that's how it usually happens.