The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

26 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I had one briefly, wasn't a worthy improvement over my RX580 8GB so I sent it packing. Cyberpunk ran like dogshit at 1080p medium settings DLSS2.0 and raytracing on the lowest settings. I think it's definitely VRAM limited, no issues on high settings with my RX580 at 1080p with AMD FidelityFX (comparable to DLSS) at around 75% around a solid 45-60fps for the most part I can't argue with a 5 year old GPU that's still kicking ass. 

But I guess to really answer your question, expect medium (high is kinda doable but the 6GB VRAM is limiting so expect stuttering) textures and a high settings no raytracing unless you want sub 30fps when anything exciting goes on.

A 2060 averages 43fps with ultra settings at 1080p without DLSS enabled (with DLSS I’d expect 60fps). The issue for yours was attempting to enable RT features which kill performance. :) 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-pc-benchmarks-settings-performance-analysis

• Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

So we got a 3060, but no 3080 Ti? Bummer.

It actually never made sense to me, they already have issues making enough 3080s and price/performance wise I just don’t see how it fits in between a 3080 and a 3090.

Honestly I wonder if it is a real thing coming soon or just something people wanted to happen.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

U can have it for free. I don't need it.

That won't do, at least let me buy you something in return. But yes, I would take it.

Though, now that I know I could probably use a CPU upgrade, I"m already getting new RAM, and I could definitely use a SSD upgrade... it looks like we're getting into full rebuild territory. It's exciting. Though, thankfully, ass opposed to the last 2 PC upgrades I did, I can leave Windows on the tiny SSD and just add another for games. I think. Probably. I haven't looked at my motherboard in a long time.

10 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Shouldn't be called an RTX card if it can't properly run it.:shrug:

It can run RT in some games at playable framerates, but not in an already intensive game like cyberpunk. The main benefit of RTX tech/features in the case of a 2060 is being able to use DLSS, which, again, is an RTX feature. Going from an RX580 to a 2060 was, at best, a lateral move - I am not arguing that it’s a better or worse GPU. What I am stating, however, is that your comments regarding poor performance were the result of enabling high-intensity effects on a GPU that cannot handle the additional load in that particular game. RT effects are not free of a performance cost, if your goal was to enable max settings, including RT, at 1080p or higher, the lowest card you’d want is several steps above the lowest-end RTX card available (which is the 2060). 

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

That won't do, at least let me buy you something in return. But yes, I would take it.

Though, now that I know I could probably use a CPU upgrade, I"m already getting new RAM, and I could definitely use a SSD upgrade... it looks like we're getting into full rebuild territory. It's exciting. Though, thankfully, ass opposed to the last 2 PC upgrades I did, I can leave Windows on the tiny SSD and just add another for games. I think. Probably. I haven't looked at my motherboard in a long time.

Check your motherboard to ensure compatibility, but you could likely grab an i7 4790k for under $200 and in the $150 range on eBay. OC it to 4.5ghz and you should be good for awhile. Going from an i5 2500k to a 3770k made a significant difference in frame times and eliminated a lot of stuttering I was experiencing in some games - going from that 3770k (8 threads) to a 5960x (16 threads) offered no discernible difference in gaming. With the money you’re saving on a GPU, it’s definitely worth considering! :sun: 
For a full rebuild, because you can get an i7 4xxxk for fairly cheap, I would recommend holding off for, at least, DDR5 which should be coming this year, as it will “future proof” you better than upgrading today, IMO.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Check your motherboard to ensure compatibility, but you could likely grab an i7 4790k for under $200 and in the $150 range on eBay. OC it to 4.5ghz and you should be good for awhile. Going from an i5 2500k to a 3770k made a significant difference in frame times and eliminated a lot of stuttering I was experiencing in some games - going from that 3770k (8 threads) to a 5960x (16 threads) offered no discernible difference in gaming. With the money you’re saving on a GPU, it’s definitely worth considering! :sun: 
For a full rebuild, because you can get an i7 4xxxk for fairly cheap, I would recommend holding off for, at least, DDR5 which should be coming this year, as it will “future proof” you better than upgrading today, IMO.

@Fizzzzle

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Socket 1150 PROCESSOR W THERMAL PASTE.

I’d offer $150-160.

If you want one that’s new, Amazon has them for $240:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPRWAX8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_b5S.Fb0BW93N8 

Looks like nVidia purposely postponed the 3080 Ti, it should drop early/mid-February. Speculation would be that it’s in hopes of the Biden Admin removing the tariffs that are causing a spike in prices as they’re targeting $999. Rumors point towards 20gb of VRAM, and the same amount of cores and the same ROP as the 3090 - no idea on clock speed. I may take advantage of the EVGA step-up program pending how it actually performs; I went with a FTW Ultra so the difference is less than $200 if the rumored Ti price is true.

18 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I wouldn't even get new RAM, since it won't be compatible with new CPUs or motherboards.

Grab the video card and just start saving your money.  Even new $150-$200 CPUs are much faster than any used one you can upgrade to.

11 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I wouldn't even get new RAM, since it won't be compatible with new CPUs or motherboards.

Grab the video card and just start saving your money.  Even new $150-$200 CPUs are much faster than any used one you can upgrade to.

Yeah, I haven't actually bought the new RAM yet, since now I'm like "well shit, who knows what will change."

And I am always apprehensive about buying a used CPU. They can get fucked up pretty easily.

New RAM isn't terrible expensive.  ~$75 for 16GB

Decent motherboards are around $120

The Ryzen 3600 CPU, six cores, goes in and out of stock around $200.

You could alternatively go with a cheaper six-core Intel CPU, but you shorten your upgrade path because current Intel motherboards don't support PCIE 4.0.

That's less than the cost you were going to spend on a GPU.  Just upgrade it all, now!  You'll have the option to drop in a 16 core processor and faster SSD in the future.

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You could alternatively go with a cheaper six-core Intel CPU, but you shorten your upgrade path because current Intel motherboards don't support PCIE 4.0.

That's less than the cost you were going to spend on a GPU.  Just upgrade it all, now!  You'll have the option to drop in a 16 core processor and faster SSD in the future.

The SSD upgrade isn't so much about speed as about storage. Both of my PCs have 256gb SSDs, we're getting to a point where a single game can take up half of that.

I know I don't need a new PSU (650w still seems to be fine if you're not going crazy), and I'm hoping I don't need a new motherboard, but I might. And the motherboard on the PC I want to upgrade is a mini-ITX, which doesn't seem to be a thing anymore?

I don't know. We are definitely getting into full rebuild territory.

On 1/11/2021 at 1:35 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yep. That's why he's so baffled. It's working fine now. The weird thing last night was he said it was hanging at the bios when trying to detects SATA drives.  He unplugged them and it was fine. Turned it back off, rebooted, plugged them back in and it was fine. It didn't happen until he installed the 3070. That's why he said it didn't make any sense. This isn't his first issue since upgrading. His first mobo was just fucked and he got a replacement but still had random issues.

This shit happens. The first time I built a PC, it was when Windows 7 RC 1 came out. To save money I did that since it was gonna be fee for a year and bought the release copy later when RC1 was gonna be deactivated. 

Actually building the computer took about two hours and that was mostly waiting for people on IGN to respond to questions I had about how to proceed. I had downloaded the ISO and burned the DVD ahead of time.

Then I tried using the installer I'd prepared and spent four fucking hours going in circles with getting like 20 minutes into the install process before it'd fail. After the four hours I went to bed late at night supremely frustrated. 

In the morning I redownloaded the ISO and burned it to a new DVD. Another four hours of the same bullshit. In a final fit of desperation I stuck the first DVD I'd burned back in and...it just fucking worked without a hitch on the first try. 

To this day I have no idea what happened and have never experienced anything like it again. 

14 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Strong disagree here. This is not a cost effective route, IMO. I'm unsure where you're finding decent AM4 boards for ~$120, most of the mid-range ones I find that have a decent amount of features tend to be near $200, the $120 range is usually in the top of the low-end coming from my experience this December in building a new office PC for my father for Christmas (it's why I ultimately went with an Intel build: cheaper motherboards). A 3600x is going to run about $260-270, the RAM about $75, at best you're already at >$500. By going to a used i7 4790k for <$180, for gaming, the performance will be very similar, and @Fizzzzle could hold-off on doing a big upgrade until DDR5 is available towards the end of this year, along with, potentially, PCIE 5.0. He would be better off, again, IMO, spending his money on an 8-threaded CPU that's compatible with his current mobo and a nice-sized SSD, then saving for an Intel or AMD DDR5 build in 18-24 months. If Fizzle is vehemently opposed to buying a used CPU, OR, simply wants a newer mobo with more (any?) M.2 slots, and whatnot, I agree that AMD is the only option to recommend given Intel's current PCIE 3.0 status.

Here's a point of reference for my note about performance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbzqaf/ryzen_5_3600_or_still_with_i7_4790k/

I only got an hour or so of playtime in, so I'll do more this weekend. For my first impression though, I think the upgrade isn't really necessary if you're only doing it for gaming. That being said, it's nice to finally migrate over to a more modern chipset which uses ddr4 ram, m2 SSD , etc which is why I ultimately decided to upgrade.

If you're doing video editing, streaming, etc then the upgrade may have more benefits, but for strictly gaming, the improvement seems marginal at best. I wasn't bottlenecked before hand though my CPU usage has dropped by maybe 10% in games now if I had to guess. So now there's a bit more headroom for games releasing in 2020 that may start using more than 8 threads on a CPU.

The 4790k really is a beast of a processor despite its age.

This is largely what I experienced for gaming when going from a 3770k to a 5960x. I got way more from going from a 2500k to the 3770k in games that utilized more than 4 threads, like Forza; all stuttering and "oddness" in frametimes disappeared. 

BTW @stepee do you still have that i7 4790k? Selling it? I might know a guy :p 

The absolute BEST option, though, is to take @Zaku3's card and see how things are running - if there's stuttering or whatever, then figure out the CPU upgrade path :sun: 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Strong disagree here. This is not a cost effective route, IMO. I'm unsure where you're finding decent AM4 boards for ~$120, most of the mid-range ones I find that have a decent amount of features tend to be near $200, the $120 range is usually in the top of the low-end coming from my experience this December in building a new office PC for my father for Christmas (it's why I ultimately went with an Intel build: cheaper motherboards). A 3600x is going to run about $260-270, the RAM about $75, at best you're already at >$500. By going to a used i7 4790k for <$180, for gaming, the performance will be very similar, and @Fizzzzle could hold-off on doing a big upgrade until DDR5 is available towards the end of this year, along with, potentially, PCIE 5.0. He would be better off, again, IMO, spending his money on an 8-threaded CPU that's compatible with his current mobo and a nice-sized SSD, then saving for an Intel or AMD DDR5 build in 18-24 months. If Fizzle is vehemently opposed to buying a used CPU, OR, simply wants a newer mobo with more (any?) M.2 slots, and whatnot, I agree that AMD is the only option to recommend given Intel's current PCIE 3.0 status.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbzqaf/ryzen_5_3600_or_still_with_i7_4790k/

This is largely what I experienced for gaming when going from a 3770k to a 5960x. I got way more from going from a 2500k to the 3770k in games that utilized more than 4 threads, like Forza; all stuttering and "oddness" in frametimes disappeared. 

The absolute BEST option, though, is to take @Zaku3's card and see how things are running - if there's stuttering or whatever, then figure out the CPU upgrade path :sun: 

lol yeah i still have the whole old pc minus the psu, and one ssd, everything else is new. I might just throw in a $30 psu and use it for voice system test labs or smtn.

Im not going to sell anything because I don’t trust the reliability of anything with some issues I had.

Just now, stepee said:

lol yeah i still have the whole old pc minus the psu, and one ssd, everything else is new. I might just throw in a $30 psu and use it for voice system test labs or smtn.

Im not going to sell anything because I don’t trust the reliability of anything with some issues I had.

You had/have a bad motherboard, bro! :p 

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You had/have a bad motherboard, bro! :p 

Doesn’t mean it didn’t damage the cpu too! I just only like selling something if I’m totally sure it’s 100% good, and I can’t really isolate it to test to make sure that part is fine.

It I don’t use it for a lab I know someone who could benefit from the whole thing and just deal with the weird bios button thing and put it in sleep mode, so I might just give it to them for their non gaming use.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think if you already have a 4 core i7 processor it's fine to hold onto it, but I don't think it's worth upgrading to at this point in time for an old platform.  Better off saving your money for a rebuild.  You can only get so far on a DDR3 platform; the memory speed and latency will also hold the system back.

The 3600x is a waste of money compared to the 3600, which comes and goes around $200 and worth it at that price.

I haven't looked into DDR5, but I don't see DDR4 going anywhere anytime soon.  The speeds of DDR4 have also drastically increased in the last year, for a good price.  It may become outdated when DDR5 releases, but it will still be fast and much faster than any DDR3 platform.  Not to mention DDR5 will be more expensive. And good chance the upcoming games will start to tax the 4c/8t processors even more, making the 6 core an even better investment.

I think if you already have a 4 core i7 processor it's fine to hold onto it, but I don't think it's worth upgrading to at this point in time for an old platform.  Better off saving your money for a rebuild.  You can only get so far on a DDR3 platform; the memory speed and latency will also hold the system back.

The 3600x is a waste of money compared to the 3600, which comes and goes around $200 and worth it at that price.

I haven't looked into DDR5, but I don't see DDR4 going anywhere anytime soon.  The speeds of DDR4 have also drastically increased in the last year, for a good price.  It may become outdated when DDR5 releases, but it will still be fast and much faster than any DDR3 platform.  Not to mention DDR5 will be more expensive. And good chance the upcoming games will start to tax the 4c/8t processors even more, making the 6 core an even better investment.