Nintendo Switch Pro rumors are swirling again

Brian

Bloomberg ‘s Takashi Mochizuki

Nintendo Co. plans to debut an upgraded model of its Switch console next year along with a lineup of new games, people familiar with the matter said, ceding 2020’s holiday spotlight to rival devices from Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp.

The specifications of the new machine have yet to be finalized, though the Kyoto-based company has looked into including more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics, people briefed on the strategy told Bloomberg News, asking not to be identified because it’s private. Nintendo faces stiff competition for gamers’ attention this fall as the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X are set to arrive in time for the shopping season.

The release of the upgraded Switch would be coupled with, or followed by, a slew of games from Nintendo itself and related outside studios, the people said. Those games would address a wide range of players, from casual gamers seeking small doses of escapism to more devoted fans putting in marathon gaming sessions. The focus on next year’s pipeline explains Nintendo’s relatively quiet software release schedule so far this year, the people said.

Just the day before, Taipei-based newspaper Economic Daily News, claimed on Tuesday that the new Switch would enter production later this year, with a launch planned for Q1 2021. 

According to VGC, the same source also mentions the new switch will have upgraded interactivity, improved display quality, and will enter production later this year.

Futurama Buy GIF

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Nintendo isn’t chasing that 4K dragon. I am sure there is new hardware in the pipeline but they don’t even give a fuck about 1080p much less 4K.

I can see Nintendo adding 4k scaling to a new Switch. Right now TVs have to handle the scaling from whatever res a game is running up to 4k. Native rendering at 4k might be possible for very simplistic games. Mario 64 at 4k, here we come.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Nintendo isn’t chasing that 4K dragon. I am sure there is new hardware in the pipeline but they don’t even give a fuck about 1080p much less 4K.

DLSS 2.0.  Nvidia could be giving all the fucks for them.  Its performance mode gets upscaled to 4K from 1080p native.

Hopefully we’ll also see the handheld screen get a resolution boost too.  DF found that that 540p upscaled to 1080p with DLSS 2.0 looked better than 1080p native.

It’d be crazy for Nintendo not to consider it.  But they could cheap out.

I’ve heard improved display and interactivity (joy cons). Also, where would Nintendo be getting this slew of new games, considering they’ve really gone in on the “no crunch” culture developers need to live.

I could see a Switch Pro, with better screen, more power to improve load times and some game performance and possibly the chance to improve 720p games up to a full 1080p...but past that, it would make more sense to release a full console.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

DLSS 2.0.  Nvidia could be giving all the fucks for them.  Its performance mode gets upscaled to 4K from 1080p native.

Hopefully we’ll also see the handheld screen get a resolution boost too.  DF found that that 540p upscaled to 1080p with DLSS 2.0 looked better than 1080p native.

It’d be crazy for Nintendo not to consider it.  But they could cheap out.

The past 3 gens of Nintendo consoles has been behind,the likely hood of them switching gears is slim to none. 

17 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

@gamer.tv I would guess BOTW 2 and SMT V are locks. Maybe throw in Odyssey 2 and Splatoon 3. Pretty solid lineup for a Pro launch. 

I would love that but I’m hoping for a Switch with a few games for my birthday in November...so a new model wouldn’t spoil that but it would be a shame if it was a significant upgrade...but this is just a personal problem for myself.

I have no expectation that Nintendo significantly upgrades the horsepower of a new Switch.

If a pro model comes out, I would guess that it's got a better screen and can run games at docked quality while undocked, but I wouldn't suspect anything more than that.

They built the first Switch on the Tegra because they couldn't wait to build anything better. Hell, a few months later they could have had a far improved SoC, but they didn't/couldn't wait. There's no indication that decision (which I will always deride) has gone poorly for them. I'd rather have a more powerful Nintendo system out there, and I understand why people keep hoping for it to come, but I don't expect it to anytime soon.

51 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

The past 3 gens of Nintendo consoles has been behind,the likely hood of them switching gears is slim to none. 

It's not a matter of them being behind or ahead.  It's a matter if it makes more sense production-wise for them to stay on Pascal architecture for however long they expect this new SKU to last.

Even Nintendo can get pushed with the times.

41 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Unless it's a new system no one will see any benefit because they still have to cater to the people who own the old ones. It's like when the NEW 3DS came out with the nub and 1 game used it and only a few games got graphical upgrades.

That's assuming they build it more like the New 3DS and less like the X1X/PSPro.  New 3DS was kind of the trailblazer there actually.

I'd consider a resolution upgrade for Switch games to be something worthwhile, even without asset upgrades.  Partly because some Switch 1st party games don't even hold 720p docked, partly because BoTW 2 is coming.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-09/nintendo-said-to-boost-switch-production-by-another-20

The introduction of a more affordable Switch Lite variant in late 2019 helped broaden the machine’s potential audience and Nintendo is making preparations for an upgraded Switch model and a beefed-up games lineup for 2021, Bloomberg News has reported. Several outside game developers, speaking anonymously as the issue is private, said that Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready, suggesting a resolution upgrade is on its way.

7 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The PS5 being more expensive than the Series X, among other things.

He's more on the mark with software leaks typically.  We're still waiting for Silent Hill though.

I imagine the planned price for the PS5 was absolutely higher than the Series X. I have no doubt Sony had to grit their teeth to match Microsoft's price and were hoping for $600-700 while wishing MS would do the same.

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I imagine the planned price for the PS5 was absolutely higher than the Series X. I have no doubt Sony had to grit their teeth to match Microsoft's price and were hoping for $600-700 while wishing MS would do the same.

They more likely grit their teeth for the $400 all digital.

I’d find it hard to believe $600 was ever the plain.  Oops, I mean $599 US DOLLARS.  

But seriously, Sony probably would have undercut MS at $500 if Series X was $600.  Like the last time.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

They more likely grit their teeth for the $400 all digital.

I’d find it hard to believe $600 was ever the plain.  Oops, I mean $599 US DOLLARS.  

But seriously, Sony probably would have undercut MS at $500 if Series X was $600.  Just like the last time. 

You vastly underestimate Sony's willingness to get away with whatever fuckery they can. They happily let their handhelds die as they clung to shitty proprietary storage rather than using microSD like literally everyone else. If MS said $600, Sony MIGHT have said $550, but I do not believe for one second that their plan was ever $500 flat.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

You vastly underestimate Sony's willingness to get away with whatever fuckery they can. They happily let their handhelds die as they clung to shitty proprietary storage rather than using microSD like literally everyone else. If MS said $600, Sony MIGHT have said $550, but I do not believe for one second that their plan was ever $500 flat.

You might not believe this, but the PS4 didn’t launch at $450 when it could have.  Crazy, I know.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

You might not believe this, but the PS4 didn’t launch at $450 when it could have.  Crazy, I know.

The PS4 launched after MS gave them a thorough ass-whoopin' the previous gen. We're talking about the classic cocky Sony here, not threatened Sony. You know, the Sony that says they believe in generations which is why they're not big on cross-gen or whatever, but also feel free to buy the new Horizon or Spider-Man on your PS4!

• Guillotine 1