The Batman (04 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: deleted Arkham Asylum scene released

13 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

When he's Batman, he's talking like an actual person, not like he's voicing a cartoon character. And he's able to get away with it because this Bruce Wayne is a reclusive weirdo. 

It's a LITTLE raspier than his normal Bruce Wayne voice. 

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes. Like if you're around certain people or in a certain setting you might change the way you speak a little bit. That's all I'm saying. He's not really putting on a character voice.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Exactly. He's not full on Bale growl, but he is doing this whispering rasp that is totally noticeable in some lines, like, "Selena, don't throw your life away", or even his opening monologue

Yeah there's not a huge difference between his Bruce voice and his Batman voice, but they are both raspy, hushed voices. 

I'm watching the movie right now. I like the mood and the feel. It captures a certain griminess that Nolan/Snyder/Schumacher's Batfilms never really got, which I like.

HOWEVER.

I guess I'll put this in spoiler tags, whatever

Spoiler

Can we fucking stop with the "it was my plan to get captured/arrested all along" plotline? Just fucking stop. It's stupid every single time. "oOoOoOh my villain is such a genius that he got arrested on purpose to make the protagonists THINK they won!" It's an edgy 8th grader's version of smart writing and it sucks. I think I audibly groaned when Paul Dano gets arrested and smiles.

Spoiler

I'm sick of that plotline too, but did he plan to get caught, or did he just know that after killing Falcone he'd get caught? I think it's the latter; he knew he'd likely get arrested given that his apartment was right there and they would surround the area (although shouldn't his apartment have already been found from the angle the pictures of the DA came from? Guess Batman really does have a lot to still learn before becoming the world's greatest detective if he didn't think to investigate where those pictures were taken from. Whatever, separate thought), and that's why he tells his followers in his last video that it would be his final video. Him smiling is just him being happy that Batman showed up because he's basically a 4chan incel troll who fanboys over the Caped Crusader, and he's finally going to get to meet him. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm watching the movie right now. I like the mood and the feel. It captures a certain griminess that Nolan/Snyder/Schumacher's Batfilms never really got, which I like.

HOWEVER.

I guess I'll put this in spoiler tags, whatever

Reveal hidden contents

Probably the weakest part of the movie yeah but it still didn’t seem TERRIBLE because I did like where it went after.

• True 1

Batman doing a Batman voice is the stupidest thing in the world. Half his face is exposed and Bruce is the DC Universe equivalent of Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos when it comes to fame and wealth, SOMEONE would figure it out. This is the same universe where a set of glasses and an occasionally hunched back makes everyone ignore the fact that Clark Kent is built like a brick shithouse. Who cares.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:13 PM, Chris- said:

- Batman's relationship with the police in this one really hits home how authoritarian Nolan's Batman was, especially toward the end of the trilogy. 

Soooooo true.

• True 1

Jesus Christ... 

He, Robert Pattinson, is doing a voice that is a bit lower, gravely, and "tough" sounding than his standard, plain American accent, even if his Bruce Wayne doesn't really change his voice that much when he puts on the cape and cowl to become Batman and disguise it. What is so hard to understand about that? 

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

Jesus Christ... 

He, Robert Pattinson, is doing a voice that is a bit lower, gravely, and "tough" sounding than his standard, plain American accent, even if his Bruce Wayne doesn't really change his voice that much when he puts on the cape and cowl to become Batman and disguise it. What is so hard to understand about that? 

Yeah, his voice is definitely not a growl, but there's definitely a different tone and deeper sounding when he's Batman vs. Bruce Wayne. It's subtler and not so ridiculous, but it's there.

I mean the director himself is saying that he's not disguising his voice and giving the reasons why in that article if anybody bothered to read it. Not like he knows what he's talking about or anything. And not to keep this "debate" going but this whole conversation started @Brick when some of us observed that he wasn't talking with a growl and you insisted he was. You've modified your stance a bit which is cool, but the sutbtle things he's doing when he's Bruce vs Batman don';t equate to anything close to what's been done previously which is what some of us had been saying and it's definitely not a "growl". I'll let the matter go but I posted that article because it's from Matt Reeves himself.

• Halal 1

I don't care what the director or actor say when I have ears and know what I'm hearing; he's doing a voice. Also as I said in my post I'm not talking about Bruce disguising his voice (we all know he isn't, and it should be obvious to anyone who meets both Bruce Wayne and Batman that they're the same person), I'm talking about Robert Pattinson putting on a voice with his acting performance that goes beyond just putting on an American accent. 

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The way that the film was crafted is masterful.

There's a companion video that discusses its visual design on Nebula (you can watch it for free as a one-time incentive to subscribe)

NEBULA.APP

A brand new streaming service featuring thoughtful content and all-new Originals from some of the smartest people online. Curated by the creators. No pre-roll ads. No algorithm.

• Thanks 1