The Batman (04 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: deleted Arkham Asylum scene released

On 3/9/2022 at 8:29 PM, Brick said:

People know Ra's now, but before Batman Begins I don't think so. I certainly didn't know about him. Now of course he's been in the Arkham games, Arrow, animated movies, etc., etc. Damian Wayne didn't even make his proper debut until the year after Begins came out.

As for Mr. Freeze I didn't know Reeves said that, which if true and he uses him next, HELL YES! Freeze is one of my favourite villains. I hope he can make him work without watering him down too much to fit the more realistic tone of this movie series.

Ra's was on Batman the animated series and several other Batman cartoons prior to being in Batman Begins. Also being the grandfather of Batman's son, he had a higer profile than Hugo Strange. I remember news reports about how mature  comics were becoming back in the 80's and one of the stories the news was focusing on besides Dark Knight and Killing Joke was Bride of the Demon which was the graphic novel where Batman knocked up Tali Al' Ghul in the first place. R'as was the main villain of that story and has always been portrayed as one of Batman's greates enemies. Hugo Strange doesn't have that same rep. The only point I'm making is that Hugo Strange does not have as high a profile even amongst comics fans as R'as and that MAY be why we haven't seen him featured in more stories in other media besides a mention here or there. If I'm wrong, GREAT. I'M the one that really wants to see PREY adapted whether it's on the big screen or animated :p

As for Mr. Freeze, Here's the interview where Reeves talks about him potentially being in the next film and fans are already casting Mark Strong as a top candidate to play him.

batman-robin-mr-freeze--Arnold-Schwarzen
COLLIDER.COM

"I think there's actually a grounded version of that story, which could be really powerful and could be really great."

• True 1

Just saw it.. will need repeat viewings..

that being said… the narrows aesthetic expanded to the whole film? yeah, im all about that.

it cannot retain the tension for the entirety of the movie and slightly flubs the landing (the big action setpiece trips up) . It also throws one too many subplots out there.. lastly John Toturro was horribly miscast in this and it stands out.

Dark Knight, Begins, and Phantasm are better… but not by much…

I love the use of tech from Hush/Court of Owls… 

Saw it last night and it was pretty solid! It manages to somehow both feel like a more realistic take than the Nolan movies, while being way more comic booky. Gotham hasn’t been this visually compelling in years.

Now that I’ve seen it I can’t stop laughing at the idea of someone taking their SO who is creeped out by Paul Dano to see The Batman. :lol: He really dodged a bullet there. 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

STRONGLY disgaree with this right here. Toturro was GREAT in this role. What didn't you like about him?

Honestly his character was supposed to be someone formidable and capable of vast influence…he doesnt project that..all I see is the caricature characters hes played from Transformers on down

in my mind I hear “Do not seek the treasure!”

4 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Honestly his character was supposed to be someone formidable and capable of vast influence…he doesnt project that..all I see is the caricature characters hes played from Transformers on down

in my mind I hear “Do not seek the treasure!”

I thought that might be the case... John Tutorro has been acting for over 30 years and has played a WIDE range of characters. I've seen him play non-comedic, serious roles before and even some pretty menacing ones. That's why I thought he was perfectly cast. The guy really is a chameleon. yes he has played some quirky comedic characters but he can definitely do serious as well and I thought he did a great job here :shrug:

My gf and I talked about the similarities between this and TDKR. 

Spoiler

Two right wing crazies using the real corruption in Gotham to start an uprising with militants.

I enjoyed the mystery noir feel that acted as a mechanism for a lot of Batman’s detective skills.

6 hours ago, Kamusha said:

Now that I’ve seen it I can’t stop laughing at the idea of someone taking their SO who is creeped out by Paul Dano to see The Batman. :lol: He really dodged a bullet there.

Yeah I'm probably going to have to make this the first movie I see alone in theatres. 

On 3/9/2022 at 11:49 PM, sblfilms said:

I feel like we can safely retire “people don’t know X character” as any sort of talking point after the MCU, a series filled with characters only comic nerds knew anything about.

Hell, nobody really remembered Bane as anything than a grunt in B&R, and he ended up being a major component of TDKR. Same with Ra’s and Begins.

Do it well and the results can be surprising.

19 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

it cannot retain the tension for the entirety of the movie and slightly flubs the landing (the big action setpiece trips up) .

Agreed. It lost me a bit at the end, but it had me interested for 2 1/2 hours, which ain’tbad.

54 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

OR you can play a practical joke on her and tell hher you heard he wasn't that scary in this movie and take her anyway :devil:

While that does sound like a prank I'd pull, I already told her what you guys said lol

Saw it yesterday and the more it sits with me, the more disappointed I am.

Starting with the positives so as not to seem like a complete downer, the look, tone and sound of this is really impeccable. On a technical level, this thing sings and is the best that any of these Batman films has ever given off an atmosphere. Cast is almost uniformly excellent (but not everyone …) with Farrell being the standout. While sequel-baiting is always unbearable, I am very excited to see him take the spotlight on the next go-around. Pattinson brings a nice stoic fury to the core of the movie. I love him not giving a shit about the Bruce Wayne aspect of his identity, and the complete lack of care for himself or approaching a situation with any kind of nuance. This Batman is a hammer that goes through the front door rather than going through the shadows. He’s still learning, and it’s cool to see the growing pains.

And finally—segueing into the bad—I really love the idea of this film, about Batman, the World’s Greatest Detective, in the early goings of his career, relying more on his keen mind and investigative skills, before he’s established his rogues gallery.

And it’s unfortunate that this movie merely LOOKS like it’s about Batman being a detective. It has the floor collage of information, crime scenes, something resembling a conspiracy. But outside of some basic verbal riddles, Batman does little to no ACTUAL detective work in this film. There’s no sifting through evidence, drawing informed conclusions from the facts or true examination of a crime scene. The closest we get is Batman fumbling around for an answer from the RAT WITH WINGS idea. One of the most accurate moments in the film is when

Spoiler

Penguin laughs in Batman and Gordon’s faces and basically calls them stupid, because he’s absolutely right.

I love Jeffrey Wright, but they really do him dirty as Gordon here, writing some aggressively bad dialogue for him that makes one wonder how he commands any respect as the stupidest person here.

Dano is doing terrible work. The scene in the jail is fairly interesting and tense until he starts wailing like a banshee. It doesn’t help that I find this conception of the Riddler to be really uninteresting, and taking a few too many cues from the Joker.

Going the family connection route with Selina Kyle/Falcone is almost never a satisfying narrative solution, even moreso because it’s with the apparent intention of having Batman let her off the hook for robbing the mob. At least to my eyes, the central tension of their relationship is—despite them both being outcasts and ridiculously hot for each other—one is trying to do the selfless thing and the other is only out for herself. They’re on opposite sides of right and wrong and that’s what makes it interesting. A movie that gets that right is Out of Sight, and it would similarly fall apart if Clooney had some ”justified” reason for stealing this particular thing and JLo just rolled with it. Having Batman give her the leeway with her thievery in this way works to fundamentally crush the interesting parts of their dynamic.

And I can’t finish this without addressing the bomb going off in Batman’s face and him being largely unaffected. I’m generally pretty forgiving about stuff like this, but when it’s so brazen as to be insulting … c’mon guys, you’re not even fucking trying.

So yeah, a bitter pill. Maybe the next one will be smoother.

2 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Comes to HBO Max in mid April, I'll catch it then.

I want to see it on HBO Max on my OLED. This movie is sooooooooo dark, I actually had to create special gamma curves for our drive in projectors because of complaints. Will look beautiful on those truly black blacks of the OLED panel.

Just now, sblfilms said:

I want to see it on HBO Max on my OLED. This movie is sooooooooo dark, I actually had to create special gamma curves for our drive in projectors because of complaints. Will look beautiful on those truly black blacks of the OLED panel.

We need that Nolan / Reeves collab for a sequel that can be neither seen nor heard.

• Haha 2
  • True 1

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Interesting... didn't look too dark at the theater I saw it at. I wasn't aware there were complaints of it being too dark. Was this just for your outdoor theaters and was it during the day/dusk? 

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Interesting... didn't look too dark at the theater I saw it at. I wasn't aware there were complaints of it being too dark. Was this just for your outdoor theaters and was it during the day/dusk? 

The film is definitely on the darker end, for obvious reasons, but in a traditional cinema with good projection including laser illumination it probably looks just about right. The outdoor environment with ambient light will always struggle with darker titles due to the ambient light lowering contrast on the bottom end of the luma scale. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The outdoor environment with ambient light will always struggle with darker titles due to the ambient light lowering contrast on the bottom end of the luma scale. 

Pretty much what I thought. At my ex' house we struggled to watch darker shows on her tv during the day time because she had a window in her door that shined ambient light directly on to her set. I tried to get her to move the TV but she wouldn't do it. Evetually she just covered up the little window.

I really enjoyed this film on multiple levels, really well done all around. However, the story became a bit too bloated as time went on and wasn't all that compelling. Not enough Riddler and the more social media shit Riddler did, the less and less scary he became, and way too much mob stuff as usual with Batman movies which has become tiresome for me. I never felt that emotionally invested or compelled with the film, but outside of that, it was extremely well made and usually very entertaining. Not the best Batman film, but the best made one, probably.

That was pretty damn good! I have my nitpicks (don't like the costumes (even if these are supposed to be early versions of these characters so they won't look like their traditional selves just yet), Batman's dialogue was a little too teen edgy/"deep" for me), but the detective noir was spot on, and the tone and look was practically perfect. 

Too bad my first solo theatre experience was hampered by these stupid teenage brats sitting near the front who wouldn't shut up, and kept yelling stuff at the screen. STFU! No one wants to hear your stupid bullshit! :angry:

I had people talk during my screening of The Dark Knight too back in the day. Do I just have bad luck with Batman films? 

Minor spoilers. Nothing too deep with the plot.

What I didn't like: it seems like there were a lot of reveals that made each previous reveal meaningless. It felt kind of repetitive in that regard. And the like, main Riddle... Batman aka the world's greatest detective took that long to figure it out? Lol okay.

What I liked: Literally everything else. Pale, fuck the sunlight, moody, shut in recluse Bruce Wayne? Hell yeah. Nobody is ever going to guess that he's the Batman.

Hands down the best version of Gotham City on film. And it's not even close. It felt like something out of the comic books for once and a character in its own right. Batman Begins was the closest to that feel but this one blows it out of the water.

Fuckin' Chekov's Batmobile? Fuck yeah. Its reveal was so well done. Totally contrived and lingering on people's faces way too long? Yeah. But I don't care. That whole sequence was great.

The original score was great. I guess another minor complaint was the millionth time they needle dropped that remix of "Something in the Way". Lost its effectiveness IMO. But in general all the music was really effective.

I can't believe how awesome Colin Farrell is in this, either. Just amazing what that makeup could transform him into. But at the same time it felt very much like him in his prime. More please.

The fighting and choreography was really fun too. And brutal. Like you typically imagine Batman to be.

And I love how much of a myth Batman is now that we don't need to revisit his origin story and we still get an effective "first" installment. As a matter of fact, we can call into question his origin story.

All of that wrapped in a Noir serial killer detective story. Which I mean I read people say it borrowed a lot from Fincher. I think that's true. And I think it worked.

I might make the time to go see this again in theaters.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Ra's was on Batman the animated series and several other Batman cartoons prior to being in Batman Begins. Also being the grandfather of Batman's son, he had a higer profile than Hugo Strange. I remember news reports about how mature  comics were becoming back in the 80's and one of the stories the news was focusing on besides Dark Knight and Killing Joke was Bride of the Demon which was the graphic novel where Batman knocked up Tali Al' Ghul in the first place. R'as was the main villain of that story and has always been portrayed as one of Batman's greates enemies. Hugo Strange doesn't have that same rep. The only point I'm making is that Hugo Strange does not have as high a profile even amongst comics fans as R'as and that MAY be why we haven't seen him featured in more stories in other media besides a mention here or there. If I'm wrong, GREAT. I'M the one that really wants to see PREY adapted whether it's on the big screen or animated :p

As for Mr. Freeze, Here's the interview where Reeves talks about him potentially being in the next film and fans are already casting Mark Strong as a top candidate to play him.

batman-robin-mr-freeze--Arnold-Schwarzen
COLLIDER.COM

"I think there's actually a grounded version of that story, which could be really powerful and could be really great."

How do you do a grounded Mr. Freeze? His personality is very cold?

19 hours ago, Brick said:

Too bad my first solo theatre experience was hampered by these stupid teenage brats sitting near the front who wouldn't shut up, and kept yelling stuff at the screen. STFU! No one wants to hear your stupid bullshit! :angry:

I had people talk during my screening of The Dark Knight too back in the day. Do I just have bad luck with Batman films? 

They're blockbuster films so the chances of getting loud mouthbreathers who ruin the experience for everyone else increases.

17 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Batman aka the world's greatest detective took that long to figure it out? Lol okay.

It's only his second year as Batman... he's not the world's greatest ANYTHING yet. Still figuring things out and finding balance.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They're blockbuster films so the chances of getting loud mouthbreathers who ruin the experience for everyone else increases.

It's only his second year as Batman... he's not the world's greatest ANYTHING yet. Still figuring things out and finding balance.

My point was more that I think everybody in the audience could connect "Rata Alada" a million different ways immediately before Batman did in the movie.