The Batman (04 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: deleted Arkham Asylum scene released

8 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

That was great! I think this is the first time they got Gotham right, and this Batman is better than Bale's dumb voice or Batflecks guns. It feels like this movie is about reclaiming Batman from the incel alr-right Snyder takes and conservative Nolanism. 

I guess I now know why Ben Shapiro hated it :p

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I guess I now know why Ben Shapiro hated it :p

Major Spoilers

Spoiler

The Riddler is basically Ben Shapiro and the reddit incels who follow him. He's all those losers who are holding us hostage to their grudges against the world. This movie is about Batman realizing he needs to let go of his own grudges and be hopeful and look to a better future. Batman doesn't like guns, doesn't like killing and is always trying to do the right thing, but it's broken him and he's solemn and depressed and a recluse because of that burden he's put on himself. In his process to try and attain closure about his childhood, the door to understanding it gets closed in front of him, and he now knows he just has to move on. In the end he isn't smart enough to figure out the last deranged puzzle and even though he "wins" it's at a major cost. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 2

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So had hardly anyone seen this here? Just finished and I thought it was great. I’ll always be a huge fan of the Nolan trilogy, but I really liked the direction this one took. 

My notes above your post. It might have been better than the Nolan films?

On 3/4/2022 at 4:17 PM, ort said:

This is absolutely me just a year off by +1 :lol:

On 3/4/2022 at 6:53 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Regal in IMAX had Batman popcorn buskets (yes a busket!)

On 3/4/2022 at 7:49 PM, Joe said:

Waiting 45 days to see this is going to be roughhhh.

I'm happy that it will be on HBOMax next month already (April 16th I believe) but WTF ARE YOU WAITING FOR!? SEE THIS NOW!

On 3/4/2022 at 11:47 PM, Brick said:

I'd like to see it in IMAX, but were any scenes filmed with IMAX cameras? I feel like after The Dark Knight, not filming a Batman movie with IMAX cameras would be a step back. If it wasn't I suppose I could just go to one of the other higher than regular admission screens. 

Yes, many scenes were shot in IMAX specifically.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:19 AM, LazyPiranha said:

Who needs to wank in the theater when the batman is giving you that sloppy toppy.

Is it sloppy from the extra butter & salt!? :lol:

Spoiler

As for my thoughts on the film ... I don't even know where to start. Is it an automatic recommendation to any & all who haven't seen it yet? ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY! The score alone has stood with me & played in my head since I got out of the theater at 2p yesterday. Multiple shots & scenes have continued to play out in my minds' eye, not even so much the context & content of them (which are still great) but the composition of the shots & how beauteous the gloom happens to be. Zoe Kravitz is heart breakingly stunning, like it isn't even fair how perfect she is. As for her portrayal as Selina, others have said that Michelle Pfeiffer is still the perfect Catwoman but I dare to stand in the face of that & pledge my allegiance to Zoe. Pattinson's Batman is haunting, intelligent, & formidable but without being perfect in any of these aspects. He's haunted by his past, his choices, his persistence among the storm even though the threat is rising. Colin Farrell as Oswald ... I legit cannot see or hear him, this person just IS Cobblepot/Penguin & that's it ... holy hell I love this iteration of this character. Dano's malevolence as Riddler, the insidious nature of how he's attempting to reveal truths at the core of the city is fucking brutal! John Turturro's Carmine is so perfectly cast & acted. I could go on, but I am gushing already.

SEE THIS FILM NOW IF YOU HAVE NOT YET DONE SO!

2 minutes ago, SoberChef said:
  Reveal hidden contents

SEE THIS FILM NOW IF YOU HAVE NOT YET DONE SO!

I live within walking distance of a movie theater, should I see it?

Looking like it will go north of 130 million for the weekend. I think with the general weakness of March’s slate and the very strong WOM, this maybe have week over week drops on the lower end of the blockbuster scale. 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I live within walking distance of a movie theater, should I see it?

Yes. Immediately... go to the first showing on a weekday if you want to avoid crowds. It's what i did. The one thing that really stands out to me is the directorial choices and confidence on display in this movie. One of the reasons for the run time is that Reeves let's scenes really play out and develop so that the story is being told by actions and acting and not through dialogue. For instance in past movies we're told  that Batman is scary and scares criminals. In this, they really show it and go out of their way to put us in the criminals perspective when he shows up. Like when 

Spoiler

Batman shows up when a gang of Clowns are attacking a guy on Subway. There's an extended sequence when you just hear his footsteps before he emerges out of the darkness.

or

Spoiler

In the GREAT sequence when he's chasing Penguin in the Batmobile and you see the chase from Penguin's perspective. There's a whole couple of minutes where you don't see Batman at all in the car. You just see the car pursuing Penguin like Christine or something.

Even his interactions with the police...

Spoiler

Most of the cops view him as a psycho so when he shows up on crime scenes you can see their discomfort and he absolutely TOWERS over everyone in the room. I don't know how tall Pattinson is in real life but they deliberately make Batman as intimidating as possible in those scenes.

So many touches like that make this the closest live screen representation of the character I grew up reading. Great Stuff here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes. Immediately... go to the first showing on a weekday if you want to avoid crowds. It's what i did.

I wish I had someone to take. I don't like going to theaters alone. :(

Last movie I saw in a theater was that Anthony Bourdain movie, not a huge crowd but took someone who wanted to see it.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I wish I had someone to take. I don't like going to theaters alone. :(

Last movie I saw in a theater was that Anthony Bourdain movie, not a huge crowd but took someone who wanted to see it.

I love going to the movie by myself. Less distractions. I don't mind going with someone else, but I think I prefer going alone.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I love going to the movie by myself. Less distractions. I don't mind going with someone else, but I think I prefer going alone.

I've said this before but most of my life I've gone to the movies with someone else. Usually my dad. We'd walk down to the theater every weekend. He didn't care what we saw but it just feels weird going alone even though when you watch a movie it's kind of a quiet, solitary experience.

I saw GOTG 1 alone, just because no one wanted to see it with me. I liked the movie and I guess didn't mind being alone but it still feels weird. :p

I hit a point in my early 20’s where I moved, and I didn’t have my group of friends to go see movies with any more. It felt weird the first couple times I went on my own, felt like the loser that everyone else was staring at. But I quickly realized that nobody else gave a shit (unless you’re that weirdo who walks into a nearly empty theater and sits within 2 seats of a stranger) and so I stopped caring. I mean now I’m used to do doing most things alone, but I do really like it for movies. You can see what you want, when you want, even at the last minute. And I don’t know about y’all, but whenever I’m watching something with someone else, I’m overly concerned with how much they’re enjoying it, sometimes to the point that it starts to negatively impact my own enjoyment of the thing. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

And I don’t know about y’all, but whenever I’m watching something with someone else, I’m overly concerned with how much they’re enjoying it, sometimes to the point that it starts to negatively impact my own enjoyment of the thing. 

The funny thing about my dad is I don't think he's ever seen a movie he didn't like. I'd always ask what he thought and he'd say, "It's a movie" but there are times where he'd be utterly confused and I'd have to explain the movie to him afterwards. :p

If I go with friends I think we are mostly on the same page in terms of enjoyment but sometimes not. Either way that is not a thing that bothers me. (For instance I think I was the only one who walked away enjoying The Last Jedi)

I went to so many arthouse and indie movies in college that my friends didn't really want to see that I got used to going to movies by myself. In New York and LA, nobody really cares especially in off hours. There are certain people that I go see certain movies with but I won't wait to see a movie I really want to see to coordinate with friends. I'd more likely see it by myself and if I like it, I'd go see it again with the group.

I used to go see 3 or 4 movies in a day by myself. I would just go to the AMC with 30 screens and buy a ticket to the first thing that looked good. When that was over unwound buy a ticket to the next thing starting that looked good, rinse and repeat.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I used to go see 3 or 4 movies in a day by myself. I would just go to the AMC with 30 screens and buy a ticket to the first thing that looked good. When that was over unwound buy a ticket to the next thing starting that looked good, rinse and repeat.

I too use to do like 2-3 movie days myself. Might have a shift end early, staff screening at night after close was done and (at the time)someone was giving me a ride home afterwards. I remember also going with a bunch of co-workers one evening to see Spirited Away in downtown Toronto, and walking back to our train station in a lightning storm. Took almost an hour train ride back home and ruined the night by seeing our staff preview of Ballistics: Ecks Vs Sever. Before that was pretty damn awesome but that movie sucked so hard. Although the subwoofer action was so strong for that movie and made my legs/voice vibrate

What a fantastic detective noir/psychological thriller that (thankfully) barely qualifies as a superhero film!

This movie REALLY reminds me of Logan in its approach to the superhero film genre.

It was great to have a Batman film where the focus is squarely on Batman as the narrative's main driving force.

50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What a fantastic detective noir/psychological thriller that (thankfully) barely qualifies as a superhero film!

This movie REALLY reminds me of Logan in its approach to the superhero film genre.

It was great to have a Batman film where the focus is squarely on Batman as the narrative's main driving force.

Yeah this movie may knock Logan out of my number spot of superhero movies... Ironic because Logan knocked Dark Knight out of my number one spot :p

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

What a honest little unwounder. Normal people buy one ticket and then sneak into another show while they're still in the theater.

I have never seen a movie in a theatre by myself. It would feel awkward to me. Given that my girlfriend doesn't want to see this (she says Paul Dano freaks her out ever since that scene in Looper where he falls apart), I will probably need to see this alone. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Brick said:

I have never seen a movie in a theatre by myself. It would feel awkward to me. Given that my girlfriend doesn't want to see this (she says Paul Dano freaks her out ever since that scene in Looper where he falls apart), I will probably need to see this alone. 

If she is creeped out by Dano, under no circumstance try and make her watch this. He creeped me out in this role!

On 3/6/2022 at 12:45 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I've said this before but most of my life I've gone to the movies with someone else. Usually my dad. We'd walk down to the theater every weekend. He didn't care what we saw but it just feels weird going alone even though when you watch a movie it's kind of a quiet, solitary experience.

I saw GOTG 1 alone, just because no one wanted to see it with me. I liked the movie and I guess didn't mind being alone but it still feels weird. :p

I don’t have anyone to go with as well. My wife said she would go until I told her it was 3 hours.  I’ve never been to a movie alone and always wanted to but chicken out.  My dad would see it and we always go to movies ever since I was a kid buuut I want to enjoy the movie because I love the Batman.  He talks through movies and drives me crazy so three hour movies are a no go.  I made the mistake of taking my dad to blade runner. He was so bored and after the scene with the holo elvis he just kept singing the song.  Fortunately it was blade runner so almost no one was there.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Yeah she definitely shouldn't see this... he's uncomfortably creepy in this and has done for the Riddler what Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix did for the Joker. Dano is an AMAZING actor and I will burn this town down if he doesn't get some awards recognition.