Wow, Resdident Evil 4 is really great

ShreddieMercury

I played a good chunk of RE4 when it came out for PS2, but for some reason or other didn't finish it.  I mainly recall being so scared and surprised by the chainsaw guy the first time he killed me that I had to put the game down for several days.  I believe I eventually made it to a castle, but I don't remember the details.  Anyhow, I'm currently playing the Wii version and I'm surprised by how great it is.  There is something about how the game is designed that makes everything extremely satisfying and fun.  It's challenging, tense, and though the controls are definitely a step back from the recent remakes, they serve their purpose and are essential to how the game functions so I don't mind.  Is this the best in the series?  What are you thoughts on RE4 in general?

One of my favorite games of all time and one of my most replayed as well. I probably own it on at least four different systems and must've beaten it at least 10+ times overall including putting a lot of time into Mercenaries which is really good. 

At least as a player looking in, it feels like near perfect design in terms of what I'm looking for in a video game. It takes a rock-solid and fun foundation and consistently introduces really clever and cool new scenarios and angles to that basic formula to play around with. It's just an incredibly fun to play game. 

Edit: Also regarding the Wii version...I do think it basically breaks the game's difficulty to a certain degree but it's so damn fun, I don't think it really matters having played seemingly most versions.

It is indeed a great game and also one that I've also never completed in full. I've gotten to the Island twice, but the first time (on Gamecube) was spoiled by my memory card corrupting and losing all my saves (including those for Paper Mario, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 1&2, Tales of Symphonia...the list goes on). The second time was on the Wii, which I've lost/left somewhere. 

I should really just buy the game on the PS4 during the next sale, book in a weekend where I have nothing on and marathon it. 

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I played a good chunk of RE4 when it came out for PS2, but for some reason or other didn't finish it.  I mainly recall being so scared and surprised by the chainsaw guy the first time he killed me that I had to put the game down for several days.  I believe I eventually made it to a castle, but I don't remember the details.  Anyhow, I'm currently playing the Wii version and I'm surprised by how great it is.  There is something about how the game is designed that makes everything extremely satisfying and fun.  It's challenging, tense, and though the controls are definitely a step back from the recent remakes, they serve their purpose and are essential to how the game functions so I don't mind.  Is this the best in the series?  What are you thoughts on RE4 in general?

Wait till you New Game + it and have infinite ammo. 

It was the peak of the series for a while. RE5 is good but more linear and action focused. RE6 is just straight up garbage. RE7 was great but very different, so depending on who you ask it was either a step forward or a step back. 

If RE8 can take the best elements of RE4 (the setting) and blend it with the best elements of RE7, we might be in for a treat. We can only wait and see.

I just re-played it recently. This is my write-up on it. Spoiler Warning though, I didn't hold back because honestly I didn't think there was anyone out there that hadn't played it yet lol.

Yeah RE4 was an instant classic when it debuted on GCN back in 2005. As others have said, it took a very solid gameplay formula and continued to improve on it as the game progressed. Great sound design, tight controls and some of the best graphics of that generation are just icing on the cake.

The story/narrative was kinda bogus but that’s Resident Evil for ya. What are ya gonna do?

What would have made the Wii version more immersive is if you could turn off the crosshair and rely on the laser pointer of the standard controls.  I like the intuitiveness of the Wii remote over the tank controls of a standard controller, but it was also really satisfying to pop heads off using that red laser without ugly UI crosshair in the way.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2020 at 4:33 PM, gamer.tv said:

It is indeed a great game and also one that I've also never completed in full. I've gotten to the Island twice, but the first time (on Gamecube) was spoiled by my memory card corrupting and losing all my saves (including those for Paper Mario, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 1&2, Tales of Symphonia...the list goes on). The second time was on the Wii, which I've lost/left somewhere. 

I should really just buy the game on the PS4 during the next sale, book in a weekend where I have nothing on and marathon it. 

Speaking of this thread. I followed my own advice and I’m currently on 4-3