Keep cars out of cities

16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Genuinely don't understand why more people don't get that adding more lanes to a highway to alleviate traffic is like trying to prevent your toilet from clogging before you take a huge shit by putting more water into the bowl.

It's like dealing with getting fat by loosening your belt. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0317%2Fr987651_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

A 13-year-old was driving the pickup truck that struck a van in West Texas in a fiery collision that killed nine people, including six New Mexico college students and a golf coach...

How about we keep underage kids driving trucks Texas 

So a man let his 13-year-old drive at night on a dark country road...with a spare tire on? Jesus.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:55 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I thought about moving to Austin but it is rapidly becoming expensive. Like as recently as 2-3 years ago it was significantly cheaper than Portland, now it's basically on par with Portland, and I'm assuming in another 5 years it will be significantly more expensive.

I was under the impression that Portland was still cheap but I haven't kept up with the market there. My home basically doubled in value after 3 years. 

4 hours ago, foosh said:

I was under the impression that Portland was still cheap but I haven't kept up with the market there. My home basically doubled in value after 3 years. 

Rent in most of Portland has almost doubled in the last 6-7 years, I couldn't speak to the real estate market itself, though. Austin and Portland are really similar in terms of cost of living, but Austin is growing even faster with the tech presence.

11 hours ago, foosh said:

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Rent in most of Portland has almost doubled in the last 6-7 years, I couldn't speak to the real estate market itself, though. Austin and Portland are really similar in terms of cost of living, but Austin is growing even faster with the tech presence.

FWIW, I pay about $1350/month for a 550 sq. ft. studio apartment close to downtown Portland. Several friends who have houses have seen their house go up from around $200k to $350k or more in the last few years. A couple I know was looking to move to a house closer in to town (currently out near Gresham) and they were struggling to find anything remotely central for less than $600k. 

This is one of those "share to all of your car nut SFH friends on facebook" type videos

A couple good nuggets from the video: People in the lowest 10% income bracket in the US spend an average of over 30% of their income on transportation, and ending with "my hope is the data I shared today sort of crystallizes what the actual cost of driving is, and illustrates why breaking the cycle of car-dependency is so important for helping people build financial stability and a better quality of life."

41 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

People in the lowest 10% income bracket in the US spend an average of over 30% of their income on transportation

Yup, one time I was curious what else goes along with that "30% of income on housing" "rule" and it was a whopping 25% of your income on transportation. Which can only mean a car. The exact percentage of income on transportation varied around a bit by income bracket and it would make sense that was higher for poorer people.

So while the housing market is still fucked you're technically coming out ahead paying even 50% of your income on rent if you don't have a car. Which is always missing context from stories about people living car-free in big cities, especially NYC where you really don't need one and having one is usually actually an active daily burden. Like here:

yahoo_default_logo-1200x1200.png
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

It’s so hard to find parking in one Bronx neighborhood that some residents say they sleep in their cars overnight, double parked, waiting for an elusive spot. “It’s a parking war,” said Sandy Blackwell as she pulled her SUV into a space on University Ave. near W. 195th St. in Kingsbridge Heights last Tuesday afternoon, minutes after a city street sweeper made its weekly run along the west side ...