Thinking about getting a Switch

Dodger

Or at least I was until I saw the fucking things are all sold out everywhere. Anyway, a quick look around it looks like the best bundle you can find is maybe with an old game like Zelda or Mario Kart.

I'd prefer to be all digital if possible, hows that workout with the Switch? How much memory would I need for like 20ish games to be installed? Also do they decent deals on the eshop? One thing that bothers me with Nintendo is how their games stay expensive until they do some sort of greatest hits program. 

Finally, of course game recommendations. I'd mostly be playing docked, so really interested in exclusives, and maybe some decent party games for the handful of times I do take it anywhere. But probably not too interested in ports I probably already have better versions of elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

I'd prefer to be all digital if possible, hows that workout with the Switch?

It works fine,the games are overly large and N's download speed is average.

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

How much memory would I need for like 20ish games to be installed?

Between larger games like BOTW (16gb) and smaller games you should get close with a 256GB mem card.

3 hours ago, Dodger said:

Also do they decent deals on the eshop? One thing that bothers me with Nintendo is how their games stay expensive until they do some sort of greatest hits program. 

Nope, maybe a few bucks off but N rarely drops its prices.

3 hours ago, Dodger said:

Finally, of course game recommendations. I'd mostly be playing docked, so really interested in exclusives

BOTW,Luigi Mansion 3 is really fun game,Astral Chain

If you are wanting to go digital, you will definitely need a microSD with lots of room as I believe the Switch only has something like 25g on board the unit.  I have a 128G card and I haven't filled it, though I tend to delete games I'm not playing off of the system and redownload them later if need be.  MicroSD cards aren't too expensive these days, so I'd say go as large as you can afford.  The other thing to consider is whether you're going to play mostly in portable mode or docked - I play mostly docked and would say that the Pro Controller is excellent and a borderline must-have.

The eshop has some excellent deals, but you're out of luck if you're wanting deep discounts on first party Nintendo software.  The lowest they'll go is about $40.  There are however lots of great sales on third party and indie stuff - the sales can't compete with something like Steam, but are still very good in my experience.

Luckily, the games are incredible.  The Switch has potentially the best library of Nintendo games on any of their consoles, as well as the cream of the crop of indie titles new and old.  I own more games for Switch than any other console, and it gets my priority for any multiplatform games that aren't especially technically demanding.  Of the exclusive games I've played, I would recommend:

Zelda BotW

Mario Odyssey

Mario Kart 8

Luigi's Mansion 3

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Astral Chain

Splatoon 2

I can also run through some of the indie games I've played but I'm not sure what you're interested in or what you might have played already.  All things considered, it's one of my favorite consoles I've ever owned, and I rarely use the portability that it offers.

• Thanks 1

Xenoblade Definitive Edition comes out next month.  

I’d recommend that over any other Switch game out now if you haven’t played the original.  If you have, then the sequel is a very good follow up.  Don’t sleep on these games, especially the first.

Beyond that, Odyssey and BotW are standouts.  It’s hard to go wrong with most of the exclusives.  Play Link’s Awakening if you missed the gameboy game, it’s fantastic.  Get Mario & Rabbids if you like strategy.  Etc.

Thinking better turn into buying before all the scalpers get their hands on the new inventory that just arrived at stores unless you want to pay $500-$600 for a switch.  I know Target has them in stock and have restricted online scalpers at least.  Hopefully you find one.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I wonder if scalpers are also buying all the new Nvidia Shield Pro, since it uses the same processor as the Switch, because I can't find them near normal price anywhere.  Assholes are probably taking advantage of the manufacturing hit from Covid.

I almost bought one a month or two ago.  You're right, they are like double the price now :(

9 hours ago, Dodger said:

I'd prefer to be all digital if possible, hows that workout with the Switch?

Works great, it was also possible to do this with the 3DS

How much memory would I need for like 20ish games to be installed?

It probably depends on the game but with 6 games I am using 68GB, I have a 200GB Micro SD card

Also do they decent deals on the eshop?

Not really, not for Nintendo games anyway. They have okish deals on indie games. @Derek is usually thrilled!

Finally, of course game recommendations. I'd mostly be playing docked, so really interested in exclusives, and maybe some decent party games for the handful of times I do take it anywhere.

Handheld for lyfe!

Also, maybe you should be interested in games prior to buying the Switch. :p

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I almost bought one a month or two ago.  You're right, they are like double the price now :(

And also the fact everyone is home probably got the same idea of setting up their own home theater streaming service.  I have been planning to use one as a 24/7 Plex server/player for a while now; was just waiting on a deal.  I should have just gotten one at MSRP, because who knows how long it will be until they are that price again.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

It also has Dark Souls Remastered and Skyrim, which I know your dumb ass* will buy just to re-make the same damn builds, but this time portably.

*I am in fact a dumb ass as well

bruh, stealth archer and dex/faith every single time

For me at least, the roughly 300 hours I've sunk into just Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze have made the Switch totally worth the price of admission. 

Then adding all of the indies and multiplatform games in there and it's pretty much a no-brainer. :sun: 

I would also second the pro controller being pretty much a necessity though; I can and have played the Switch for many hours in portable mode, but it's so much better with a real controller. 

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I would also second the pro controller being pretty much a necessity though; I can and have played the Switch for many hours in portable mode, but it's so much better with a real controller. 

Lies. Save yourself $80 and just play in portable the way god intended.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Lies. Save yourself $80 and just play in portable the way god intended.

Zelda is unplayable on the joycons, for example I have no idea how you're supposed to do a running jump with how cramped the buttons are on the joycon.

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I didn't play it for that much but never had a problem with it. Get better fingers I guess.

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

I played the entirety of BotW with the joycons and it was fine, but I definitely recommend getting a Pro controller because (a) it’s better, and (b) couch multiplayer. 

Okay fine, "unplayable" may have been putting it a bit strongly but I tried giving it a go initially playing in handheld mode and playing with the joycons in the grip, but I quickly realized I needed a Pro controller and it's an infinitely better experience. The joycons are better suited to games with less complicated controls, like the Goose game. I do also still think the joycons could actively be a hindrance for some of the more complicated motions in BotW depending on the size and shape of your hands—they were for me.

I also recommend getting a Pro controller carrying case to use while traveling. I bought a Pixel charger to use as my travel charger for the Switch and my Hori stand fits in the Switch carrying case (slots in nicely between the two joysticks when the joysticks are attached), and the charger fits in the controller carrying case. Then not too long after the Switch came out I had to go on a work trip for a week and setting up the Switch on the Hori stand on the desk in the hotel room and using the Pro controller was a nice way to play on the go.

16 hours ago, Chris- said:

I can't imagine *not* going all digital with it given that it is so portable. 

I have a mix of digital and physical games. Mainly because of the old prime 20% discount.

I still buy a mix. Though my next purchase will be digital since I can't seem to conform if Amazon will get Xenoblade Chronicles on release date. Probably preorder it that week it comes out.

24 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Lites you can’t play docked though right? I’ll mostly be playing at home so I definitely want the regular. Walmart didn’t have shit, they were also out of mini consoles and almost out of PS4s and Xboxes.

Yeah I'm holding out for a regular as well. A couple of Gamestops in Jersey are showing that they have them in stock, but I have no idea how we're supposed to buy them.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I'm holding out for a regular as well. A couple of Gamestops in Jersey are showing that they have them in stock, but I have no idea how we're supposed to buy them.

Can you call them and do a curbside pickup?