Thinking about getting a Switch

Dodger

37 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

LOL.  I've been about getting one for a long time.  By the time I decide to pull the trigger, a successor will be officially announced.

Honestly at this point I should wait for the rumored next switch. 

On 4/28/2020 at 9:47 PM, Chris- said:

I can't imagine *not* going all digital with it given that it is so portable. 

Of of all the systems I can.  Games never go on sale so I’d rather buy cartridges and trade with friends. I’m not going to resell but that’s an option too.  Also no need for memory card.  I get pissed when a friend gets a game like links awakening digitally. Perfect game to lend to friends.

On 5/2/2020 at 1:13 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Play portable at home and you can have something else on the TV or play while you poop!

Uhhh, that’s what this forum is for. As I sit on the throne 

• 1 month later...

So my gf managed to snag me one off Best Buy for regular price and will arrive Wednesday. But it's just the system. So now I need a pro controller and the memory card. It's just regular micro SD card I need right? Hopefully I can get those without much hassle because I'd prefer to be all digital. 

56 minutes ago, Dodger said:

So my gf managed to snag me one off Best Buy for regular price and will arrive Wednesday. But it's just the system. So now I need a pro controller and the memory card. It's just regular micro SD card I need right? Hopefully I can get those without much hassle because I'd prefer to be all digital. 

I got mine this week courtesy of @JPDunks4 Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFC

I got a 256 gb micro sd card for 60 bucks... marked down from 90 bucks at best buy. I also got the pro controller which is AWESOME and three games. Breath of The WILD, Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey... this is the first ninetendo console I've owned since the game cube. Also BOYW is AMAZING so far. Micro sd cards should be hard to find. The pro controller was sold out near me except at target.

Great so I have to go on another hunt to get the other stuff? I'll check out the pro controller and SD cards at Walmart this weekend, They did have a pro controller a few weeks ago last time I seriously looked. Looks like I can find them online without too much of a problem if they don't have them. 

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Great so I have to go on another hunt to get the other stuff? I'll check out the pro controller and SD cards at Walmart this weekend, They did have a pro controller a few weeks ago last time I seriously looked. Looks like I can find them online without too much of a problem if they don't have them. 

Sorry, I meant to say Micro SD cards SHOULDN'T be hard to find... whoops.:p

For micro SD, just make sure you pay attention to the data transfer speeds instead of just buying the cheapest thing you can find. A quick Google search will tell you what to look for.

For the Pro controller, also shouldn't be that hard to find, and is often available for at least $5-$10 off MSRP.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:24 AM, Dodger said:

Did she just keep refreshing the page on BestBuy.com or are there actually stores open where you live? One of my friends is trying to get one and we drove around to four or five different stores today and couldn't find any. There was a Fred Meyer that said they had 7 and when we called, they couldn't find them. :frustrated: 

43 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Did she just keep refreshing the page on BestBuy.com or are there actually stores open where you live? One of my friends is trying to get one and we drove around to four or five different stores today and couldn't find any. There was a Fred Meyer that said they had 7 and when we called, they couldn't find them. :frustrated: 

She follows some deal site and they had them in stock at BestBuy.com so she snagged one. 

Got a pro controller and a 128gig sd  card today because they didn’t have anything bigger so I should be all set for Wednesday when it comes. About how many games can I put on that size card. 

Never played an Animal Crossing game before but it seems to be crack to a good number if you do maybe I’ll check it out 

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Got a pro controller and a 128gig sd  card today because they didn’t have anything bigger so I should be all set for Wednesday when it comes. About how many games can I put on that size card. 

Never played an Animal Crossing game before but it seems to be crack to a good number if you do maybe I’ll check it out 

Excellent. Post your FC for us!

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Do you guys bother to get Nintendo Online? Like is it a must have or completely skippable?

Definitely not a must have, but debatable for what games you want to play. Mario Maker? Smash? You’ll need it

5 hours ago, Dodger said:

Quite a bit. The largest game on my Switch is BOTW 15.7GB. I have 200 GB card along with the onboard memory, I have 78 games on my Switch. 

Ended up getting New Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Mario Odyssey, BOTW, and Xenoblade DE. Friend Code is 4229 0216 4323. Still interested in quite a few games but will have to wait for the next sales so I figured I'd start with the basics plus Xenoblade just because I never played it and I'll pick up others as they go on sale again. 

On 6/18/2020 at 2:15 PM, Dodger said:

Ended up getting New Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Mario Odyssey, BOTW, and Xenoblade DE. Friend Code is 4229 0216 4323. Still interested in quite a few games but will have to wait for the next sales so I figured I'd start with the basics plus Xenoblade just because I never played it and I'll pick up others as they go on sale again. 

Target has a buy 2 Switch games get a 128 gig Memory Card sale today. I haven't played my Switch a lot since I got it... my nephew has been dominating it lol. I'm probably gonna get him his own. Or a Switch lite if I see one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How durable is The Switch? can it survive a drop or two? It feels a bit flimsy. Do you guys have cases for when it's in portable mode?

I'm pretty sure it's designed to survive a drop considering the screen is plastic and not glass. Plus it's Nintendo, so they presumably designed it with careless kids in mind. However, because it's plastic, despite fucking babying mine when I first got it I STILL got a gouge right in the middle of the screen. I feel like the first thing anyone should do when taking their Switch out of the box is immediately applying a glass screen protector.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm pretty sure it's designed to survive a drop considering the screen is plastic and not glass. Plus it's Nintendo, so they presumably designed it with careless kids in mind. However, because it's plastic, despite fucking babying mine when I first got it I STILL got a gouge right in the middle of the screen. I feel like the first thing anyone should do when taking their Switch out of the box is immediately applying a glass screen protector.

Which is what I did.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Which is what I did.

I don't really feel like going and testing this out on my Switch :p but I feel like I'd be more worried about the glass screen protector than the console itself if you drop it.

For portable mode I have a carrying case which has proven very durable--I shove it into the bottom of my travel backpack and have had no issues putting it under the seat in front of me, in the overhead, etc, on flights. The Hori stand slots in nicely between the joycon joy sticks in the netted area in the top half of the case. Then I have a carrying case for my Pro controller, and I keep the Pixel charger I bought back in 2017 as my Switch travel charger in that case's netted top half area. If I bring my cartridge games I just place that case into my backpack separately. I find propping the Switch on the Hori stand on the hotel desk and then using the Pro controller to be a pretty nice way to play while traveling.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Who drops this thing? I've never dropped mine. I use a carrying case for when I travel, but that's it.

I haven't either but like I said, I'm pretty sure drop durability is why the screen is plastic and not glass. I feel like the worst that could happen is the joycons popping off, but probably not even that because that lock feels pretty secure.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Who drops this thing? I've never dropped mine. I use a carrying case for when I travel, but that's it.

Kids. Kids may drop it... it's really not that hard to conceive. Since my nephew spends a lot of time with my Switch right now it IS a concern.

Just now, Jason said:

I don't really feel like going and testing this out on my Switch :p but I feel like I'd be more worried about the glass screen protector than the console itself if you drop it.

For portable mode I have a carrying case which has proven very durable--I shove it into the bottom of my travel backpack and have had no issues putting it under the seat in front of me, in the overhead, etc, on flights. The Hori stand slots in nicely between the joycon joy sticks in the netted area in the top half of the case. Then I have a carrying case for my Pro controller, and I keep the Pixel charger I bought back in 2017 as my Switch travel charger in that case's netted top half area. If I bring my cartridge games I just place that case into my backpack separately. I find propping the Switch on the Hori stand on the hotel desk and then using the Pro controller to be a pretty nice way to play while traveling.

I'll check those out.