PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

My console has randomly turned itself on twice now. One time I walked into the living room it beeped and started up. The only controller was sitting next to the console so nobody bumped it. The next night at like 12:30am I layed down in bed and a minute later heard the beep again. Come out to the living room and it's sitting on the login screen. I then definitely clicked turn off ps5 because the screen came up saying the console is shutting down. When I woke up in the morning, the console had the orange light glowing like it's in rest mode. Normal? 

My XboneX used to do that a lot, and my XSX has done it a couple times now. With the PS5, I’ve been doing a full shutdown over rest mode due to the reports of rest mode potentially having issues in some games and bricking consoles (though, it may have more to do with having an external hdd plugged in?), and it hasn’t turned itself on yet.

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

My console has randomly turned itself on twice now. One time I walked into the living room it beeped and started up. The only controller was sitting next to the console so nobody bumped it. The next night at like 12:30am I layed down in bed and a minute later heard the beep again. Come out to the living room and it's sitting on the login screen. I then definitely clicked turn off ps5 because the screen came up saying the console is shutting down. When I woke up in the morning, the console had the orange light glowing like it's in rest mode. Normal? 

Some ghost just wants to play your PS5 but no you won't let it! Don't you understand how much concentrated energy it takes to get that PS5 turned on! 

7 hours ago, atom631 said:

I think I got one at BJs!!!!! Please don’t cancel. Please don’t cancel. :pray:

I saw that bundle go up as well.  Kohls cancelled all 4 of my Pre-orders, but let me keep the $180 for each order in Kohls Cash.

So lost 4 PS5's, but got $720 in Kohls Cash to spend next week for $0.  Not bad.

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I saw that bundle go up as well.  Kohls cancelled all 4 of my Pre-orders, but let me keep the $180 for each order in Kohls Cash.

So lost 4 PS5's, but got $720 in Kohls Cash to spend next week for $0.  Not bad.

sounds like you can do a nice chunk of xmas shopping with that money. Everyone gets a sweatshirt and a t-fal non stick frying pan! 

I bought the FF7 remake in the BF sale. I never had an original PlayStation but played a bit of FF7 back in the day at a friend's house. Looking forward to getting into that one over the next week. So far the PS5 is my single player console and the Series X is where I've been doing all my multiplayer. I have barely touched any native PS5 or Series X games though. Just catching up on all the last gen titles I never got around to playing. Fortunately it is a lot of really top tier stuff I missed and the prices are incredibly low or even free with PS+/Gamepass.

14 minutes ago, tbca said:

I bought the FF7 remake in the BF sale. I never had an original PlayStation but played a bit of FF7 back in the day at a friend's house. Looking forward to getting into that one over the next week.

It’s good even without playing the original.  I’d actually recommend starting with it, then going onto the PS original to fill in some gaps.

For all those PS5's with the graphical issues, which some think means its a faulty or dead GPU.  Can those be repaired by Sony, or do they need to essentially replace the SOC?

Cause while it might not be a huge issue, would that mean they need to take stock out of new production units to replace faulty units?  There were reports of the 50% yield issues prior to launch, and anecdotally I feel like I've seen quite a few people having these types of issues on Social Media.  Far more than the PS4/XBO/Switch/PRO/XBOX.  Could this cause even more inventory and availability issues farther into next year than they even anticipated?

I was lucky enough to get 2, one Disk and one Digital.  Keeping the Digital for myself, sold the Disk.  I'm over the Console hunt so doubt I'll be trying to snag anymore.

Damn, that memory temp is deeply concerning. I think it's accurate to assume that Astro is not pushing the PS5 to its limits, and the issue will only get worse over time. Think I might just start running mine with no side panels, because those temp differences when you're so close to the thermal limit make a huge fucking difference. You do NOT want your hardware sitting that close to its limit, especially when it starts getting warmer outside.

• Guillotine 1

4 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

For all those PS5's with the graphical issues, which some think means its a faulty or dead GPU.  Can those be repaired by Sony, or do they need to essentially replace the SOC?

Cause while it might not be a huge issue, would that mean they need to take stock out of new production units to replace faulty units?  There were reports of the 50% yield issues prior to launch, and anecdotally I feel like I've seen quite a few people having these types of issues on Social Media.  Far more than the PS4/XBO/Switch/PRO/XBOX.  Could this cause even more inventory and availability issues farther into next year than they even anticipated?

I was lucky enough to get 2, one Disk and one Digital.  Keeping the Digital for myself, sold the Disk.  I'm over the Console hunt so doubt I'll be trying to snag anymore.

The units will need to be returned where they will replace the unit with a new one and send the broken ones back to see if they can be repaired as refurbished devices or scrapped.

This is no different for any device that is faulty. The Tom Warren bits is not really accurate. A huge number of things can cause for faulty glitches like this and other past consoles have suffered from similar broken units around launch. In the grand scheme of things the numbers will net out to be a handful. The issue that seems more curious is the fan coil whine which some users have found goes away when HDR is turned off.

I think that ultra hot memory is going to cause a lot of issues within the next couple of years. Memory at those temps is not great. They need to get some fan profiles out ASAP because I'd be doing anything I could do get temps down if my RAM was anywhere near that.

• Guillotine 1

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I think that ultra hot memory is going to cause a lot of issues within the next couple of years. Memory at those temps is not great. They need to get some fan profiles out ASAP because I'd be doing anything I could do get temps down if my RAM was anywhere near that.

Seriously. Didn’t Sony make the system so stupidly big for the purpose of cooling it? Yeesh.

12 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

If your PS5 has a faulty GPU, the GPU needs to be replaced. No way really around it.

9 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Not sure if this worked but I recorded the sound my PS5 has been making while playing Spider-Man Miles Morales. The sound would stop if I exited to the dashboard. 

Are you running with HDR out of curiosity?

2 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Nope I turned that off as far as i can tell. 

ah ok. I was just curious as I heard some reports of the noise going away when HDR was disabled. My unit so far has made no additional noise. 

I'd probably contact sony for repair. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

yeah that's pretty bad... it doesn't sound mechanical either which is weird. Is it coming from the PS5 itself or from your sound system?

The PS5 itself but it stopped when I switched playing from Spider-Man MM to the dashboard menu thing. When I switched back it started again. It did this 4-5 times until it finally stopped making the noise and I was able to play MM for like 30 mins. I noticed the same noise before I think on Saturday but wasn't sure if it was because I had it on a different input. I was messing with the PS4 which I was planning on giving to my friends kid. But waiting to see if I have to send in the PS5 for repairs or replacement. I hate that because I don't want to lose my saved info.

52 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

The PS5 itself but it stopped when I switched playing from Spider-Man MM to the dashboard menu thing. When I switched back it started again. It did this 4-5 times until it finally stopped making the noise and I was able to play MM for like 30 mins. I noticed the same noise before I think on Saturday but wasn't sure if it was because I had it on a different input. I was messing with the PS4 which I was planning on giving to my friends kid. But waiting to see if I have to send in the PS5 for repairs or replacement. I hate that because I don't want to lose my saved info.

Why would you lose your saved info? Upload it to the cloud.