The 2019-20 Mock Gambling Thread - PRO BOWL BYE WEEK - AbsolutSurgen slams the pedal!

Slug

Absolut_Surgen hits the gas and furthers his lead on the pack. His lead is impressive, but not insurmountable as he has a couple of contenders still within striking distance. With only one chance left to earn money can he hang on for one more week or is there an upset in the making?

########## DIVISIONAL ROUND RESULTS ##########

Feature Game: Tennessee Titans (+7.5) at Kansas City Chiefs
The Chiefs beat the Titans by a score of 35-31.5(24+7.5) to beat the spread and move on to Super Bowl LIV!

QUESTIONS

1) What will be the first scoring play of the AFC Championship? Titans TD, Titans FG, Titans safety, Chiefs TD, Chiefs FG, Chiefs safety, or other? ($10,000 for the correct call)
The scoring was kicked off by a 30 yard Tennessee field goal in the quarter as the Titans jumped out to an early 10 point lead; a lead that would not stand. Keyser_Soze was the only player to get this one correct.

2) What will be the first scoring play of the NFC Championship? Packers TD, Packers FG, Packers safety, 49'ers TD, 49'ers FG, 49'ers safety, or other? ($10,000 for the correct call)
Raheem Mostert take advantage of a hole opened on the left side of his line to crack off a 36 yard run for a touchdown and the first points of the NFC champsionship.

3) Which conference will put up more combined points this weekend? ($10,000 for the right guess)
In a close match, the AFC just edges out the NFC by a combined 59-57. 

4) How many touchdowns will occur from outside the Red Zone (>20 yards) this weekend? ($15,000 for the right number)
5 touchdowns were scored from outside of the Red Zone across both championship games. Nobody called this one. 

5) Call the winner: Green Bay at San Francisco ($10,000 the correct team)
Saaaaaaan Francisco wins the day and goes back to their first Super Bowl since 2012.

######### LEADERBOARD #########

@AbsolutSurgen - $268,000
@thewhyteboar - $186,850
@Keyser_Soze - $120,000
@Biggie - $90,950
@Dodger - $57,200
@Greatoneshere - $19,000
Slug - $17,000
@BasemntDweller2 - $10,000
@Jose - $13,100
@RedSoxFan9 - $12,800
@Alpha1Cowboy - $5,300
@SFLUFAN - $3,900
@johnny - $2,500
@Kal-El814 - $1,500

As always, if you think I mathed wrong let me know.

########## THE SEASON #########
Week 1  <-- See here for full rules if you're interested in joining the competition!
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Week 8
Week 9
Week 10
Week 11
Week 12
Week 13
Week 14
Week 15
Week 16
Week 17
Wild Card Weekend
Divisional Round
Championship Round

###############################

#######################
** PRO BOWL BYE WEEK **
#######################

The Pro-Bowl is the MGT thread's Bye week!  Rather than have y'all fake bet on an exhibition game, rest your brains for the Super Bowl and get ready for some MGT fun facts!  We'll be back next week for the Super Bowl and our finale!

• Thanks 1

-= PRO-BOWL BYE WEEK =-

This season marks the 9th running of the Mock Gambling Thread, going back to when I originally ran it on the IGN Football boards during the 2010-2011 season, and the 2nd year here on Day One Patch!

The MGT was inspired by a similar competition run by the community on a St. Louis Rams fan message board that I fell in love with when I went there to talk smack ahead of a skins/Rams game.  Had so much fun playing in it for a couple seasons that I thought it'd be fun to run it for my pals on IGN and now here. :)

## 2019-2020 MGT Season Fun Facts ##

- Biggie was the first entrant for the 2019-2020 season!

- Of the 14 competitors in this year's MGT, 6 different players have held the lead at one time or another.

- Absolut_Surgen and Keyser_Soze both defended their leads an equal number of weeks in a row; taking 1st place and holding it for 3 weeks straight each!  Underscores = wins?!

- Why is the Question 8 bonus so valuable?  In 20 weeks of the MGT there have been an equal number of chances to guess that week's rushing and receiving leaders.  The rushing leader was only guessed correctly 6 times during the regular season and 7 more times after the playoffs had begun so the number of potential candidates had been severely truncated. The receiving leader was only guessed correctly 3 times all season. The bonus for getting both in the same week was never awarded!

- Total winnings are DOWN overall at this point in the competition compared to last year.  The '19-20 Leaderboard has amassed a total of $808,100 versus $1,605,350 at last year's Pro-Bowl Bye Week!

- Asked 19 time to 14 players there were 266 chances to earn the Question #5 bonus by calling all 3 weekly pick'em games correctly!  The bonus was only awarded 20 times!

- There were a total of 176 bets placed on the Feature Game across the entire season and post-season!

- Of the bets placed on the Feature Game across all competitors, we were collectively correct only 77 times for a 43.75% win rate!

##################################

Have a restful Bye week, enjoy the Pro-Bowl, and rest your brains for the final week of the 2019-2020 MGT coming on 1/27!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

## MORE MGT FUN FACTS ##

- Get your entries in!  No single week saw all 14 players in this year's competition make an entry before the deadline!

- It's a long season and quitters never win: There were an average of 10.6 entries every week over the first 10 weeks of the MGT season and an average of only 7 entries per week for the last 10!

- Ever wonder how I track the Feature Game win rate?  Here ya go!

Week 1: 0110010110111
Week 2: 10011000000
Week 3: 011111011111
Week 4: 10000000001
Week 5: 0100001110
Week 6: 00000011000
Week 7: 00100110000
Week 8: 100011101
Week 9: 1010100
Week 0: 11111000000
Week11: 000001000
Week12: 0111110
Week13: 11011101
Week14: 01000001
Week15: 010111
Week16: 001101
Week17: 00001
Week W: 10010011
Week D: 010011
Week C: 0011110

(0 is an incorrect bet on the Feature Game, 1 is a correct one)

In binary the Feature Game results table above translates to, "e¼À}ø‡‚a©ð·PW42iž".  So...yeah.

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I didn't know this would continue into the playoffs so when I got blown out in like week 13 or whatever it was I gave up for a couple weeks. I'll try and be in it every week next year. 

Yeah, we had a couple players make that same mistake last year. :(

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Maybe next year we actually get some money involved, like a $10-20 buy in or something. 

Possibly?  I pay for the overall prize myself just because.  I'd want to keep the main competition for the prize and title free to encourage the most potential players.  Perhaps I'll consider running an optional, "side bet" that players can opt-in for if they so choose so there can be a side bet winner among those who opted-in, even if that winner isn't 1st overall at the end.  The side bet might encourage some people who are "out of it" to keep fighting even if they have no shot at the title.   Something to think about for next season!

1 hour ago, Slug said:

Possibly?  I pay for the overall prize myself just because.  I'd want to keep the main competition for the prize and title free to encourage the most potential players.  Perhaps I'll consider running an optional, "side bet" that players can opt-in for if they so choose so there can be a side bet winner among those who opted-in, even if that winner isn't 1st overall at the end.  The side bet might encourage some people who are "out of it" to keep fighting even if they have no shot at the title.   Something to think about for next season!

I didn't even know there was a prize. I thought this was all for board internet dick measuring rights. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

I didn't know this would continue into the playoffs [...]

56 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I didn't even know there was a prize. I thought this was all for board internet dick measuring rights. 

You...you don't read rules much, do you? :p  

15 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I was just dicking around for fun because we also had an office pick em pool and I figured I might as well do both. I also don't remember the rules thread. 

I'm just teasin'.  It's all good. :) Going into next season remember that every week, including Week 1 with the rules, are linked in the results post in each new week's thread.

Also, you need to be in more because every time you post I hear Kefka's laugh in my head and it freaks me out:lol:

3 minutes ago, Slug said:

I'm just teasin'.  It's all good. :) Going into next season remember that every week, including Week 1 with the rules, are linked in the results post in each new week's post.

Also, you need to be in more because every time you post I hear Kefka's laugh in my head and it freaks me out:lol:

Every time you see one of my posts you should hear

Or 

Is also acceptable.