~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Our 10 year old daughter has COVID.

BUT she was only sick for 2 days or so.  She's pretty much back to normal now.  We just got back from a trip to WA and we are trying to figure out where she got it from.  We contacted everyone she was in contact with, and the good news is that everyone she interacted with, aside from her 10 year old cousin, are vaccinated.  My wife felt a little ill the last few days and she may have gotten a mild infection.  Coincidentally, she took the J&J vaccine back in April.  I have had no symptoms at all and I got both Moderna shots.  

My company has been pretty cool with COVID - they even gave out FDA approved at-home testing kits from a company called Cue.  It's what gave us the results for our daughter.  Both my wife and I will take the test later tonight.  I cannot return to work without a negative test.  

The silver lining I think is that since our daughter has gotten COVID, we don't have to worry about when/if she can get the vaccine for the time being.  We can also lower our guard a little bit, now that all of us have anti-bodies and don't have to be as concerned over the delta variant. 

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I woke up hot, dizzy, extremely sore, and tired. I hope this passes soon. 

I was just sore in the arm when I got my shot on the Thurs. Fri/Sat i was pretty useless to my family and started to feel better by about mid day Sunday. Best of luck, as I just doped myself up and rested

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I was just sore in the arm when I got my shot on the Thurs. Fri/Sat i was pretty useless to my family and started to feel better by about mid day Sunday. Best of luck, as I just doped myself up and rested

Thankfully I'm off work today and tomorrow. I just took 2 extra strength Tylenol and kinda feel better. Thanks.

My company is moving to masks only for the unvaccinated on Monday and making it on the honor system, except in our California office since Cal/OSHA is requiring employers to collect proof of vaccination for employees who want to go without a mask. So I'm fine with it since proof is required. I do have to go to the DC office at the start of August for a week but I think I'll feel a lot better about it after getting six weeks to see whether the CDC jumped the gun on this. 

My wife just took her at home test and she came back negative.  So that's good!  So if she did get infected at some point in the last two weeks, it was a very mild infection and it wasn't very noticeable.  Just another reason to get vaccinated.

I'll probably take my test tonight or tomorrow. 

105846848-1555007976919img_8979.jpg?v=15
WWW.CNBC.COM

Dr. Scott Gottlieb warned about the potential long-term effects of Covid and pointed to a new study that suggests brain tissue is being destroyed.

“The diminishment in the amount of cortical tissue happened to be in regions of the brain that are close to the places that are responsible for smell,” he said. “What it suggests is that, the smell, the loss of smell, is just an effect of a more primary process that’s underway, and that process is actually shrinking of cortical tissue.” 

• Shocked 2

6 hours ago, Brick said:

There's definitely going to be an American variant at some point, isn't there? 

Every country has had variants, there just are only a handful that changed in ways that made them more severe. There are variants that have been identified in the last month or so in California and New York, though initial evidence suggest they are not as potent as even Alpha.

skynews-jason-kelk-long-covid_5267049.jp
NEWS.SKY.COM

Jason Kelk died on Friday following his "brave decision" to withdraw his treatment after more than 14 months in intensive care.

Mrs Kelk said that when her husband's parents visited him following his decision to withdraw his treatment "the first thing he said to them was: 'I don't want to carry on, I want to die'."

"We all had a bit of a go but he wasn't going to change his mind," she added.

Mr Kelk had wanted to die at home but it was not possible to transfer him there, so he was moved to St Gemma's Hospice in Leeds.

Mrs Kelk said the family were unsure how long he would survive without a ventilator and it was "probably about an hour/hour and a half".

"It was very peaceful," she said. "His breathing just slowed down and then it stopped.

"His mum and dad were holding his hand. His sister was there. I was there. It was really lovely."

Jason Kelk pictured on his wedding day with wife Sue. Pic: Sue Kelk
Image:
Jason Kelk pictured on his wedding day with wife Sue. Pic: Sue Kelk
In her final words to her husband, Mrs Kelk told him "it was okay, that he'd fought the fight and he didn't need to fight anymore… we're here and we love you".

After Mr Kelk died, she said she stayed with her husband's body "talking to him and telling him I loved him".

"I had a lovely hour just me and Jason," Mrs Kelk added.

"He was my soulmate. We were opposite sides of the same coin - different but joined together."

In his final days, Mr Kelk had seen his grandchildren, stepchildren, some of his closest friends and his boss, as they said goodbye to him.

• Sad 1

20% is probably a safe ceiling for the end of the year, which is more than should be in a country where you can literally walk in to a pharmacy anywhere in the country and get vaccinated, but also manageable by the health care system.

1 minute ago, Ominous said:

The vaccination map here nearly seems to mirror the per capita income map and, outside of Detroit, the 2020 presidential election map. What is with poor people refusing to get a free vaccine? 

Apparently a lot of people aren't getting vaccinated since they assume they'll have to pay for it since literally nothing else in our healthcare system is legitimately completely free. 

A bunch of imbeciles at my job refuse to get vaccinated because they claim there isn't enough research on after effects from the shot. Others have delusional thoughts on why being vaccinated is a stupid idea etc. It's most from awful people I work with. I look at them and just think they're trash.

Sorry if that comes off terribly inconsiderate. I just hate the majority of the people I work with. Ugh.

51 minutes ago, Jason said:

Apparently a lot of people aren't getting vaccinated since they assume they'll have to pay for it since literally nothing else in our healthcare system is legitimately completely free. 

Also could be that they don't have the ability to travel to a vaccination site, they can't take time off to travel to one, or that, if they get the vaccine and have side effects, they can't afford to miss time off from work.

A friend I hung out with last night just texted me that a girl he banged on Friday night is sick but tested negative for COVID. Not really worried since I'm fully vaxxed and the case numbers are super low in LA and the CDC says you don't have to quarantine in this situation as long as you're vaxxed and don't have symptonms, just gonna get tested at the end of the week and make sure I'm negative too. Mostly just glad this guy is responsible enough to reach out to do his own informal contact tracing. Like, I already liked this guy but major mental brownie points for letting me know from what I'm assuming is as soon as he found out, given the timing of when he texted me.

56 minutes ago, best3444 said:

A bunch of imbeciles at my job refuse to get vaccinated because they claim there isn't enough research on after effects from the shot. Others have delusional thoughts on why being vaccinated is a stupid idea etc. It's most from awful people I work with. I look at them and just think they're trash.

Sorry if that comes off terribly inconsiderate. I just hate the majority of the people I work with. Ugh.

They are likely the same people that eat fast food 5 days a week.

15 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Also could be that they don't have the ability to travel to a vaccination site, they can't take time off to travel to one, or that, if they get the vaccine and have side effects, they can't afford to miss time off from work.

Very true.

The jobs where people already make good money seem to also be the ones giving extra PTO to get the shot....meanwhile the people with no / little pto...well..nothing changes. 

Of the adult population that remains unvaccinated, you’re probably looking at 10% or less with good reasons not to have got theirs yet including issues of access. It’s mostly just people who don’t want to or feel no urgency to do so at this point.

7 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I'm spending a week at my grandmother's beachhouse in two weeks.  It'll be my first real vacation in 3 years.

Noice! Assuming you like your grandmother. Where's the beach house?

I'm going to Vermont to visit my hetero life mate who I haven't seen in almost 2 years now. I also coincidentally have another friend who recently moved to Vermont, so I'll find a day to hang out with him, too. We're going to spend a couple nights in Boston and perhaps go to Montreal if the border is open by then.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Noice! Assuming you like your grandmother. Where's the beach house?

I'm going to Vermont to visit my hetero life mate who I haven't seen in almost 2 years now. I also coincidentally have another friend who recently moved to Vermont, so I'll find a day to hang out with him, too. We're going to spend a couple nights in Boston and perhaps go to Montreal if the border is open by then.

When and where are you going in Vermont.