~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Oh hey look, Home and Community Based Service people with disabilities fucked again, shocking. 

It looks like they make you click through multiple links to find this out now, but the site I screenshotted sends you to a site that references the state definition of healthcare workers and home and community health workers didn't have their eligibility pulled. I don't think California or Los Angeles have yanked eligibility from anyone who already had it, the fucking around has been with people in line who hadn't had their number come up yet.

Just now, Joe said:

No side effects beyond arm soreness after second shot. Did I get a defective 5G microchip?

I didn't get a fever day of with my second Pfizer shot, that came either overnight (not sure since I was asleep :p) or the next morning.

• Thanks 1

Basically sore arm at bed, I hit 100.4 or 100.5 the next day for maybe an hour or so, then was bouncing around at 99.4 and just felt kind of chilly the rest of the day. Probably could have worked but preemptively booked the day off, I think I did one quick call or email or something and it was fine.

However, I believe Moderna is the strongest vaccine against the variants? I know of 5 variants so far: NYC, California, the UK, Brazil, and South Africa? Can anyone confirm whether Pfizer or Moderna is better against them? I know studies are still coming in but yeah. 

I'm glad people are getting vaccinated any way they can, but I don't think I'd go J&J just because it has a much lower overall effectiveness even against the base virus, much less the variants. I'm trying to shield myself as much as possible baby!

49 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

However, I believe Moderna is the strongest vaccine against the variants? I know of 5 variants so far: NYC, California, the UK, Brazil, and South Africa? Can anyone confirm whether Pfizer or Moderna is better against them? I know studies are still coming in but yeah. 

I'm glad people are getting vaccinated any way they can, but I don't think I'd go J&J just because it has a much lower overall effectiveness even against the base virus, much less the variants. I'm trying to shield myself as much as possible baby!

we don’t have actual efficacy numbers from Pfizer or Moderna against any of the variants just that they work. I’d prob go with Pfizer given the choice of all, but if I could only have Johnson and Johnson I would have still been very happy. All prevented all hospitalization and deaths.

50 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

When all is said and done, there will be virtually no difference between Moderna and Pfizer as they use almost the exact same mechanism for creating the immune response.

And I would have gladly taken the one shot J&J over two shots. For people in our age bracket and genera health, there is basically no difference between the three. For the olds...I’d definitely recommend the M and P.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because there's reason to think it's more effective than Moderna or because you hit fully dosed two weeks sooner than with Moderna?

The latter and because it has slightly less side effects than Moderna. The difference isn’t much in my mind, though.

Isn’t efficacy based on aggregate impact as opposed to likelihood? In other words, 95% effective doesn’t mean ‘you will have a 5% chance to still catch the virus’, it means ‘we saw 95% fewer cases in the population that took it’. That being the case, I don’t think you can say with any certainty that one will provide more personal protection over another. 

41 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'd take all 30,000 unused vaccines and become an anti-covid god. I could breathe on people to vaccinate them.

Pretty sure that's how that works.

The extra vaccine in your system comes out in your urine, like vitamins. So you could be the world's first golden shower-based charity. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Isn’t efficacy based on aggregate impact as opposed to likelihood? In other words, 95% effective doesn’t mean ‘you will have a 5% chance to still catch the virus’, it means ‘we saw 95% fewer cases in the population that took it’. That being the case, I don’t think you can say with any certainty that one will provide more personal protection over another. 

Correct. And if you look at the real world data by age, you’ll see people in our cohort are basically golden with any of the vaccines. The difference is at the older ages. That’s why I would have preferred the single shot J&J as the effect for a 35 year old in decent health virtually identical across all the vaccines.

Big, if true:

210312072040-01-astrazeneca-covid-19-vac
WWW.CNN.COM

The Biden administration is considering sending some AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine doses stockpiled and waiting for official usage approval in the US over the border to Mexico and Canada, according to a senior administration official.

US is sitting on over 30 million doses, with another 20 million expected by the end of April.

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

Exactly, which is why comparing vaccines is silly. Anecdotally I know more people with the Moderna shot than Pfizer that had side effects, so I very scientifically concluded that Pfizer was my preferred shot lol. 

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Big, if true:

210312072040-01-astrazeneca-covid-19-vac
WWW.CNN.COM

The Biden administration is considering sending some AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine doses stockpiled and waiting for official usage approval in the US over the border to Mexico and Canada, according to a senior administration official.

I had actually read that we were getting close to approving it, but there are probably doses about to expire and it would be an embarrassment to let them expire while our neighbors desperately need them.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I had actually read that we were getting close to approving it, but there are probably doses about to expire and it would be an embarrassment to let them expire while our neighbors desperately need them.

And we don’t need them even if approved. Inventory of our three approved vaccines continues to grow and the pace of vaccinations will level off soon while deliveries will grow for a few weeks more before hitting a plateau in late May, so the trend of inventory growth isn’t reversing for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

And we don’t need them even if approved. Inventory of our three approved vaccines continues to grow and the pace of vaccinations will level off soon while deliveries will grow for a few weeks more before hitting a plateau in late May, so the trend of inventory growth isn’t reversing for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, especially with Novavax about to enter the fray. The big issue I had read that was preventing the vaccine from being exported was the issue of liability since we can’t export a vaccine that we haven’t ourselves approved. Not sure how true that is or maybe if it is, we can get Canada and Mexico to sign liability waivers.

Just now, Joe said:

Yeah, especially with Novavax about to enter the fray. The big issue I had read that was preventing the vaccine from being exported was the issue of liability since we can’t export a vaccine that we haven’t ourselves approved. Not sure how true that is or maybe if it is, we can get Canada and Mexico to sign liability waivers.

Apparently the US is looking for some kind of "swap," though I don't know what that means. Vaccines for maple syrup?

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Joe said:

Do we even need to approve it?  It seems with the 3 we have that we're more than covered as far as vaccines go.

38 minutes ago, Joe said:

He continues to be the fucking worst.

I know he's an ophthalmologist or whatever, but I assume they covered infectious diseases at some point when he went to medical school.

astrazeneca-oxford.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

The United States plans to send roughly 4 million doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine that it is not using to Mexico and Canada through loan deals with the two countries, an administration official told Reuters today.

• Like 2