~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

If Omicron produces good B/T cell immune response, this is pretty much the end of the pandemic as we have known it. Hopefully the data remains consistent on the severity front and these therapeutics work well.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It would be nice if that is the case.

It looks like it could be, but the price we're going to pay in deaths will be staggering, I expect.

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I've been boosted back since early November.  I have two Christmas get togethers scheduled for this weekend.  I just want to know if I should go or not...

I say go. Mask up or meet outside if you can. I'm sticking with my plans, even though they're small. 

24 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I've been boosted back since early November.  I have two Christmas get togethers scheduled for this weekend.  I just want to know if I should go or not...

The risk of any serious harm to you is low

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

It looks like it could be, but the price we're going to pay in deaths will be staggering, I expect.

It is a price few have to pay for any reason other than their own choice not to be vaccinated. A shame, but there is little to be done at this point to convince people of their own best interest in this regard.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm saying that most people are just ignoring that vaxxed/boosted breakthrough cases can still result in long term COVID complications.

Everything that I've seen is that if you're vaxxed and(or) boosted and you get a breakthrough, the worst you're looking at is a bad cold, if anything at all. I also haven't seen anything that indicates that Omicron is causing heavy covid symptoms or hospitalizations. This is something to celebrate, right? 

24 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

Everything that I've seen is that if you're vaxxed and(or) boosted and you get a breakthrough, the worst you're looking at is a bad cold, if anything at all. I also haven't seen anything that indicates that Omicron is causing heavy covid symptoms or hospitalizations. This is something to celebrate, right? 

Vaccines reduce the risk of long COVID by lowering the chances of contracting COVID-19 in the first place. But for those who do experience a breakthrough infection, studies suggest that vaccination might only halve the risk of long COVID — or have no effect on it at all1,2. Understanding the prevalence of long COVID among vaccinated people has urgent public-health implications as restrictions that limited viral spread are eased in some countries. It could also offer clues about what causes lingering COVID-19 symptoms long after the acute infection has cleared.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03495-2

_120356858_69c06f76-917f-484a-b62e-f0fb2
WWW.BBC.COM

The study adds to growing evidence that vaccination helps protect against Covid in a number of ways.

She added: "In terms of the burden of long Covid, it is good news that our research has found that having a double vaccination significantly reduces the risk of both catching the virus and if you do, developing long-standing symptoms."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason said:
d41586-021-03495-2_19880110.jpg
WWW.NATURE.COM

Vaccines reduce the risk of developing COVID-19 — but studies disagree on their protective effect against long COVID. Vaccines reduce the risk of developing COVID-19 — but studies disagree on their protective effect against long COVID.

What are the odds of either of us getting long covid? According to that article not great. 

From the article: 

Another study in Israel, of around 1,500 vaccinated health-care workers, found that 7 (19%) of the 39 breakthrough infections produced symptoms that lingered for more than 6 weeks5. However, the numbers of infections studied are too small for firm conclusions to be drawn about the absolute risk.

This is among healthcare workers. That has to put those people in a higher risk group than either of us (unless you're a healthcare worker). That said, even those healthcare workers had a .47 chance of getting long-haul covid.  

If your point is that the chance isn't 0, you're absolutely right. There is a tiny chance that you could get long-haul covid and then a smaller chance that down the road this could be the primary cause or contributor to your stroke or heart attack. But aren't we getting into "the vaccinations cause myocarditis" levels of probability here? 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Is it just me...or does that article imply they've only completed phase I trials, which means they have no evidence of efficacy? Phase I is only concerned with safety, generally.

Isnt Phase 1 about antibody response?

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Phase I is safety and how well different doses are tolerated. II is efficacy, and III is efficacy on a larger group, comparing real-world effectiveness and sometimes against other drugs/vaccines.

Phase 1 is primarily focused on that, but they also measure antibody results.

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

To play devil's advocate, the way that graph is plotted, only the final 1% is from the past two weeks. If there is a rise in hospitalization, it would only just start presenting now. For instance, look at the Delta wave on the chart from June/July and how the hospitalization lags.

I do agree that it's likely not going to be as bad as people fear...but it's too early to float.

44 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Is it just me...or does that article imply they've only completed phase I trials, which means they have no evidence of efficacy? Phase I is only concerned with safety, generally.

This is half true. The goal is typically determine general safety and then how much of a dose to give, and a few other odds and ends. But phase 1 trials do produce data on whether or not the drug works. Many drugs are abandoned after phase 1 because of this very reason, despite being safe there can appear to be no benefit towards the ailment being treated. This is also a place where the pharmas have found some of the surprising results that lead to drugs being repurposed for other uses.

15 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

This is overall great news (assuming they mean people who have no prior immunity), but we could still see hospitalizations reach levels from the Delta peak. I remember seeing a calculation that if Omicron was only 2x more contagious, then even if it was 10x less deadly it will still result in around the same number of deaths. However, that's uncertain.

The more annoying part of this is that if this bears out (and far fewer people die, get really sick, etc), then the antivaxxers are going to be completely insufferable. "See it was just a flu, everyone was freaking out over the pandemic for nothing." Even though everything that everyone else has done over the previous two years is what kept them safe.