~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

5 hours ago, silentbob said:

Apparently they do work, not as accurate like you said though. I believe the 70% is roughly what I have read/seen from news report on accuracy with Omicron. My older sister knows a mom from my nieces school who tried 2 of the at home tests but turned up negative. Still felt crappy and got the PCR and was confirmed to have Omicron. My cousins husband, still works for Canada Post apparently, and was sent 10 more additional at home tests for work yesterday. She had Covid for sure but tested negative on a PCR test which the husband was positive on. They share a fucking bed together and there is no way she didn’t get infected, let alone mom, my sister and myself at the same time almost 2 years ago. 

I slept in a bed with my symptomatic wife for like 3 days and didn't COVID. It can be very random.

4 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

N95 with a surgical mask on top

Yep, that's what I already do for flying but with a KF94. 

I'm in JetBlue Mint in one of the seats where there's nobody directly next to me so with the way air filtration works on planes I think it should help that I have a bit of buffer between me and the people nearest me. 

I have a dilemma: For over a year I've handled the daily pandemic updates for a bunch of subreddits for my province. I do this because the government releases info that is difficult to read and doesn't provide some appropriate calculations (like stats per 100k, etc). I have a little automated system that pulls the data, puts it into sheets, and makes fancy graphs. Here's an image of how the graphs started, and how the data is presented today in multiple pages:

eunelwxuj6181.jpg?width=1358&format=pjpg

I enjoy the process of making these, and I am glad that thousands of people have been able to use them. So here's my dilemma: The government has announced that as of today, they will not be posting any updates over the Christmas holidays. So nothing on Dec 24, 25, 26, 27, and Jan 1, 2, 3. This is an issue as our Omicron wave is hitting. However, two separate people from inside the Saskatchewan Health Authority have anonymously reached out to me and offered to provide the data in a limited fashion (just case info, hospitalization, deaths, etc) over this period, should I want to keep posting it.

Should I accept? My gut says that the public deserves to know what is going on. The government has this info coming in daily, it's just choosing not to publish over the holidays (which I believe is 100% political). 

Thoughts? My main worry is that some party operative will see the posts and try and hunt down the leaker. I'm not too worried about myself, but more about the people who are providing the data. They have said they are okay with me posting it.

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I have a dilemma: For over a year I've handled the daily pandemic updates for a bunch of subreddits for my province. I do this because the government releases info that is difficult to read and doesn't provide some appropriate calculations (like stats per 100k, etc). I have a little automated system that pulls the data, puts it into sheets, and makes fancy graphs. Here's an image of how the graphs started, and how the data is presented today in multiple pages:

eunelwxuj6181.jpg?width=1358&format=pjpg

I enjoy the process of making these, and I am glad that thousands of people have been able to use them. So here's my dilemma: The government has announced that as of today, they will not be posting any updates over the Christmas holidays. So nothing on Dec 24, 25, 26, 27, and Jan 1, 2, 3. This is an issue as our Omicron wave is hitting. However, two separate people from inside the Saskatchewan Health Authority have anonymously reached out to me and offered to provide the data in a limited fashion (just case info, hospitalization, deaths, etc) over this period, should I want to keep posting it.

Should I accept? My gut says that the public deserves to know what is going on. The government has this info coming in daily, it's just choosing not to publish over the holidays (which I believe is 100% political). 

Thoughts? My main worry is that some party operative will see the posts and try and hunt down the leaker. I'm not too worried about myself, but more about the people who are providing the data. They have said they are okay with me posting it.

Make a protonmail account, have them send the info there, sign up there with reddit, post it as a new user and then delete the account later while leaving the posts. Call the account DeezChartZ 

• Haha 1

I am beginning to doubt my negative rapid test result. 

After going to bed feeling fine, I had some bad heartburn/GI issues. In the wee hours I had the chills. I woke up this morning with a 100 degree fever again. I've contained it down to the 98s but I'm still fucking exhausted. 

Having not had Covid or there not being any really good info on the symptoms of Omicron, I don't know what this is. But it sucks. My Christmas cheer this year is alka-seltzer I guess. 

Needless to say I am not driving home. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

On the whatever day of Christmas this is...

Ahem.

It's not any "day of Christmas" yet because the "Twelve Days of Christmas" begin on Christmas Day (December 25) and end on the Feast of the Epiphany (January 6).

Of course, the United States being a nation founded by Protestants -- who are both heretical and stupid -- means that no one actually understands that!

• Haha 3
  • True 2

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I sincerely hope the decision was for them to be forbidden.

That was the decision, but apparently nothing was relayed to them last night. Then 10 minutes ago I get a text from the SIL saying “I’m sick now too so I guess we aren’t coming” 

Oh, so you’re saying infectious diseases apparently SPREAD 😮

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ahem.

It's not any "day of Christmas" yet because the "Twelve Days of Christmas" begin on Christmas Day (December 25) and end on the Feast of the Epiphany (January 6).

Of course, the United States being a nation founded by Protestants -- who are both heretical and stupid -- means that no one actually understands that!

A partridge in a pear tree seems like a shitty first gift to get on Christmas Day 

On 12/22/2021 at 2:59 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My mom, sister, and I just cancelled our Christmas Day plans after learning that an anti-vaxxer would be present.

My mom explicitly told the hosts (her brother and sister-in-law) the reason we were cancelling and to pass it on to (in my mother's exact words) "that selfish unvaccinated bitch".

Needless to say, my uncle is NOT happy with his wife at the moment as that woman is part of her family and not my mother's/uncle's and my aunt was supposed to request that the woman NOT be in attendance.

Update:  the anti-vaxxer was exposed to someone with Omicron and will not be attending the gathering.  However, we will still not be attending as we want to make the hosts feel guilty/ashamed for inviting them in the first place.

It truly warms my heart to see that the Steel family's version of the Christmas spirit (i.e., spiteful vindictiveness) is alive and well! :twothumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ahem.

Let me tell you. The story of leaving hay under your bed for camels to come eat at night in exchange for presents is WAY more adorable than the fat dude sneaking in and dropping them under a tree.

43 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Update:  the anti-vaxxer was exposed to someone with Omicron and will not be attending the gathering.  However, we will still not be attending as we want to make the hosts feel guilty/ashamed for inviting them in the first place.

It truly warms my heart to see that the Steel family's version of the Christmas spirit (i.e., spiteful vindictiveness) is alive and well! :twothumbsup:

How does he know it's Omicron? Do they tell you on the test results???