~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

What if like.. every year we stopped society across the world for two or three weeks, but planned, so people could prepare. I wonder what that would do for health, the environment, stopping diseases big and small. 

It’s a good idea in theory, but many people couldnt afford to be furloughed for two to three weeks. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It’s a good idea in theory, but many people couldnt afford to be furloughed for two to three weeks. 

Right, we shouldn't do it the way we did it this time. Maybe there's a stipend for that period of time. Like if we rethought the whole structure of it. Or maybe that period of time is built into their income somehow so they still get paid during that time, but it's withheld from their paychecks so it's evened out. Shut down the markets too, they shut down for holidays and when the market falls too fast, the scam is clear there's no free market. Put it on pause. 

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I had an interesting chat with a friend who is the film buyer for Cinemark in the north east. Obviously nothing is set in stone at this point, but the early indication they are getting from NY and LA officials is that theaters won’t be allowed to reopen there until 2021 unless something miraculous happens.

No LA and NYC means no new movies theatrically. Those cities together represent around 11% of all grosses nationally, and they are the crown jewel cities for the movie industry. If they are closed, that’s all she wrote for 2020.

If that happens you really are looking at a complete collapse of the cinema industry barring a massive rescue package by the federal government. 

In terms of ‘something miraculous’ happening, I have a feeling that China’s...loose...considerations of human cost will bring us effective anti-virals and/or vaccines sooner than any other country might. 

20 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

Right, we shouldn't do it the way we did it this time. Maybe there's a stipend for that period of time. Like if we rethought the whole structure of it. Or maybe that period of time is built into their income somehow so they still get paid during that time, but it's withheld from their paychecks so it's evened out. Shut down the markets too, they shut down for holidays and when the market falls too fast, the scam is clear there's no free market. Put it on pause. 

First we’d have to do a couple things. The FCC will need to revoke Fox News’ broadcast license. And Republicans declared too unintelligent and irresponsible to be able to vote in elections. 

then we have a solid chance of this working. 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

First we’d have to do a couple things. The FCC will need to revoke Fox News’ broadcast license. And Republicans declared too unintelligent and irresponsible to be able to vote in elections. 

then we have a solid chance of this working. 

The FCC doesn’t license cable channels.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

No longer the model minority, soon they'll be treated like every other brown guy out there. I know a few Asians who are pro Trump, when he was elected they were like "this is great! He's gonna take care of the thugs!" And I was like "you know you're not white, right???"

The fact of the matter is that maintaining the same level of restrictions on non-essential economic activity that are currently in place has probably reached economic and social untenability.

At some point, there will be discontent from largely non-white urban areas that will not have a "political motivation" behind it.

3 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The fact of the matter is that maintaining the same level of restrictions on non-essential economic activity that are currently in place has probably reached economic and social untenability.

At some point, there will be discontent from largely non-white urban areas that will not have a "political motivation" behind it.

It should be noted that a lot of these "open back up no matter what" protests come on the heels of reporting that the vast majority of deaths is of people of color.

Also worth noting that congress is still on recess until May 2 last I saw. 

25 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It should be noted that a lot of these "open back up no matter what" protests come on the heels of reporting that the vast majority of deaths is of people of color.

Also worth noting that congress is still on recess until May 2 last I saw. 

The racial disparity in fatalities has not gone unnoticed by me at all. It could also be a reason why urban non-white populations could be "willing" to endure the economic trauma longer because of their increased health risk.  But at some point, that patience is going to run out.

As for the United States Congress, their absence in this crisis has shredded what little credibility they might have had.  Simply put, I do not consider the body to have any legitimacy as a political institution.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

https://www.apmresearchlab.org/covid/deaths-by-race

I don’t think that is true.

I think he meant that people of color are dying at a higher rate proportional to their percentages in the general population, not that MORE people of color have died than whites. Which would be almost impossible because there's more White people in this country than pretty much all of the minority groups combined.

9 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

I think it's interesting that Latino rates are roughly the same as whites, except in NY, where a lot of Latinos have are part Black due to being Dominican or Puerto Rican.

Latinos are dying at higher rates in California than whites AND Blacks and most of the Latinos in California or of Mexican and Central and South American descent... not much African blood in those demographics. It's about lifestyle, poverty and access to healthcare.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think he meant that people of color are dying at a higher rate proportional to their percentages in the general population, not that MORE people of color have died than whites. Which would be almost impossible because there's more White people in this country than pretty much all of the minority groups combined.

Latinos are dying at higher rates in California than whites AND Blacks and most of the Latinos in California or of Mexican and Central and South American descent... not much African blood in those demographics. It's about lifestyle, poverty and access to healthcare.

DISPROPORTIONALITY AMONG LATINO AMERICANS’ COVID-19 DEATHS
Latino Americans are dying at rates above their population share in just one state: New York. (Note: Two percentage points difference or more is considered above or below population share.)

In New York, Latinos comprise 19% of the population, but have suffered 21% of the deaths. At the time of this writing, 868 Latinos had died in New York, which has experienced the highest overall mortality rate of any state.

In 24 of the 27 states we examined, Latinos have a mortality advantage, dying less often than their population would suggest. 

When we combine data across all 27 states reporting data, Latinos are less likely to die from COVID-19 than expected, given their share of the population (18%). They have suffered 12% of deaths. 

13 hours ago, mrbiggsly said:

I heard they're doing drive in funerals you should check on that

Bruh, email I just got at the drive in 

This is probably an unusual question but with social distancing in effect i was wondering if it's possible to rent your venue? I have a friend of mine that will more than likely pass from complications of cancer soon and we thought about doing a celebration of life there. Didn't know if it was possible to show pictures and videos on your screen? Strange request i know but during these times of difficulties, thinking outside the box seems to be the norm. 
My friend is a retired navy seal who served his country well and was injured in the process. He has many, many friends who would like to pay their respects. 
Let me know what your thoughts are. 

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

As for the United States Congress, their absence in this crisis has shredded what little credibility they might have had.  Simply put, I do not consider the body to have any legitimacy as a political institution.

You say this now, but they've sprung into renewed action today!

Oh.... well, nevertheless...

• Guillotine 3

14 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Maybe. Maybe charter schools just completely take over everything, like after Katrina in NOLA except on a nation-wide scale.

The scale of cuts would require class size increases, and probably salary cuts for teachers as well (especially if there is no union contract protecting the teachers)

Most school budgets are for salaries after all.

He later added: "People need to know that it (the economy) is not suddenly going to reopen in any part of the country overnight to what it was before. We are going to have to be very very careful (and) very gradual" to prevent a resurgence.

So far there seems to be pretty broad support for keeping measures in place, but we'll see how long it lasts. Some provinces have managed to basically stop the spread (as far as we know) and are talking about re-opening some sectors of the economy with restrictions. Probably too early without mass testing.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Just sad they need to hide things from the federal government.

I just came to post this, and it's a pretty crazy thing. Here's the bottom line:

As the Federal government has largely abdicated its responsibility in ordering or delivering PPE, it is now seizing PPE that private health care systems and states have struggled to procure, with no explanation given or transparency on what is being done with it.

The result is that legitimate public and private organizations trying to fill a desperate need are having to "smuggle" that lifesaving equipment to prevent the feds from taking it. They're not doing anything illegal, but they're still having to resort to various forms of subterfuge in order to acquire PPE. That linked article concludes with this:

In the absence of an explanation, it is hard to come to any conclusion other than that this is simply mafia government, exerting control for the sake of control, not in spite of but because of the crisis-led demand