Boeing's space capsule experiencing problem in orbit, may not be able to make it to the ISS

A few hours ago Boeing performed an unmanned test launch of their first capsule that was supposed to rendezvous with the Space Station.  However, soon after reaching orbit it started experiencing control issues.  Boeing and NASA are determining if the capsule will be able to make to the Space Station, or if the capsule will return to Earth. 

This could be a huge setback for human spaceflight in the US.  With SpaceX's capsule blowing up earlier this year on the test pad, and now this, America may have to continue on relying on the Russian Soyuz to get to/from the ISS for even longer.  

9 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

If only there was a organization with decades of experience building and launching space craft with humans on board that we could give money to.

NASA is building their own capsule and rocket under the SLS program.  From 2011 through 2014, the government has spent $14 billion developing the new launch system, and it won't fly it's first test mission until next year at the earliest.

7 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

A few hours ago Boeing performed an unmanned test launch of their first capsule that was supposed to rendezvous with the Space Station.  However, soon after reaching orbit it started experiencing control issues.  Boeing and NASA are determining if the capsule will be able to make to the Space Station, or if the capsule will return to Earth. 

This could be a huge setback for human spaceflight in the US.  With SpaceX's capsule blowing up earlier this year on the test pad, and now this, America may have to continue on relying on the Russian Soyuz to get to/from the ISS for even longer.  

They had a successful test after that, I believe. I don't think it set SpaceX back very much. 

Just now, TheGreatGamble said:

They had a successful test after that, I believe. I don't think it set SpaceX back very much. 

The successful year was actually before.  That capsule did a test mission to the ISS and it was near perfect.  After the capsule returned they were performing ground testing of the abort system and it blew up.  They determined why and have rectified the root cause.  In January they are performing an inflight abort test.  If successful, NASA will likely certify the SpaceX capsule to fly humans.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Even during NASA’s prime, much of their equipment was subcontracted out to multiple companies. 

Yup. Had to spread the wealth around if you want to keep up that level of funding.

If this capsule really does get lost in all this mess, that leaves Orion and SpaceX's Dragon left, but as far as I can tell, those two don't really serve the same purpose. I sure hope Space X can keep their record clean.

28 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Yup. Had to spread the wealth around if you want to keep up that level of funding.

If this capsule really does get lost in all this mess, that leaves Orion and SpaceX's Dragon left, but as far as I can tell, those two don't really serve the same purpose. I sure hope Space X can keep their record clean.

Orion could go to the ISS easily but SLS is stupid expensive ride to just low orbit and really overpowered. Originally Orion was supposed to go to the ISS on top of a Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster (with a centaur upper stage) but it was found to be unsafe in abort scenarios (escape motors couldn't out run the SRB and the falling fire would torch Orion's chutes).

Orion will likely only fly 3 times before Starship takes over lunar missions (or maybe Dragon to Gateway using Falcon Heavy).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, outsida said:

Could you imagine being an Astronaut trained on this vehicle and waiting for over 2 years…

Oh, astronauts wait far longer than that. Spaceflight is a necessarily slow industry. I think people forget how many years the Falcon rockets were delayed too.

And then there NASA's own launch vehicle...

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...