Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Is the controller for the S/X different than an Xbone controller?

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-controller/

It's slightly smaller with a few more rounded sections to accommodate smaller hands. 

New Dpad

New Share Button

New Lower Latency Tech 

Some new textures and materials

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

The Xbox Series S will play the Xbox One S versions of BC games, not the Xbox One X with enhancements.  SInce it's a 1440p machine and not a 4k machine, it makes some sense, but still a big miss.

As far as I know, the One X version of many games are the only one that offers the Performance vs 4k Modes, so if it's simply running the One S versions, are you stuck with no option to maximize performance over resolution, or visa versa.

Just saw the news.  It’s not unexpected.  There would probably be some X1X versions that wouldn’t run as well on the S.  (and vice versa)  They’re very different boxes.  DF touched on this yesterday:

It doesn’t sell the whole Smart Delivery idea though.  Having so many SKUs in play makes me want more granular settings menus, so that the player can decide.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There’s probably some hyperbole on both ends.  With where it’s cutting back, I just can’t imagine the industry will hold itself back for the S so much as it’s dragged along in whatever form ports come.  

19 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Surprise right ? Who have thought a company spending god only knows how much to build a console would do its home work.

As usual we on this board are out of touch to the general gaming community.

Only issue I see us the target audience for this would probably buy discs, used, and perhaps swap with friends.  I wonder how well the all digital xbone sold relative to other xbones for MS to make this choice.

@cusideabelincoln Just so I understand you, you think 

10 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Only issue I see us the target audience for this would probably buy discs, used, and perhaps swap with friends.

because 

3 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Local used disc shop sees a lot of traffic.  Games are priced typically quite a bit cheaper than normal digital prices, and they seem to match on sale digital prices

I dont follow you

4 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

@cusideabelincoln Just so I understand you, you think 

because 

I dont follow you

I don't get what you don't follow.  I'm not making any claims of certainty with my statements.

Does the value of convenience of all digital matter more than the ability to trade or buy used (typically priced as much or less than digital) discs to the S's  target market?

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think the notion is pretty obvious, the S is the budget friendly option and physical media for consoles is the more budget friendly solution due to game sharing and used sales.

To a certain degree, but it's also for casuals.  And those casuals aren't buying used copies of CoD, Madden, or 2k.  Are they selling them after a year, maybe, but they are buying those games Day 1.

And the biggest version of CoD is F2P now, as are quite a few of the other biggest franchises out now, like Apex and Fortnite.

Add to that the crazy value of Game Pass now with EA games included.  I think budget gamers will do okay with the Series S.

22 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I don't get what you don't follow.  I'm not making any claims of certainty with my statements.

Does the value of convenience of all digital matter more than the ability to trade or buy used (typically priced as much or less than digital) discs to the S's  target market?

The market is pushing more digital as time goes on. PSN is already seeing digital take over retail and I imagine MS is close to it. 

https://www.ccn.com/playstation-4-digital-game-sales-overtake-physical-thats-a-first/

Both console makers know that places like GS are on its death bed and offering this in digital will speed up the process. If I remember correctly didnt this Gen have a digital only debacle and the mass's grabbed the pitchforks . We havent seen that yet and my guess is we wont.

Edit

I think people just dont care if its retail or digital anymore. 

43 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

How does game sharing work on Xbox?

Assigning an Xbox as your Home Xbox means anyone on that Xbox can play your library, even if offline.

So if you have a friend, you can sign into their Xbox, set it as Home, and they can play all the games you buy.  This simply means you need to be online at your actual Xbox to play the games you own.  And both can play at the same time.

44 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

How does game sharing work on Xbox?

You would have to set the Xbox you're sharing with as your primary console. Any profile can then play any of your games on it.

You can play any of your games from any other Xbox, as long as you are signed in.

I do this with my kids on my OG Xbone while I can play on the X.

15 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Some questions for discussion:

For those interested in Series S, would you have preferred to pay $50 more if it was guaranteed to run X1X versions of current gen games at the least?

Is anyone with a X1X planning to sell it and buy a Series S?

I think most owners of an X1X are going to buy the Series X. Me being one of them.

I think I posed this question before, but if Microsoft came out and said, the XSS will be supported for 3 years, and at that 3 year mark, there will be a trade in program to upgrade to a Series X for something like $200 or $20 a month with Xbox All Access, how would that be perceived to the general public.  At that time, a newer XSX2 will release that's even more powerful that XSX owners can upgrade to if they chose.  

In years past, we have seen revisions of the consoles 3 or so years in right with a slim version?  I know not everyone buys the revision, but if it was sold that the Series S is an entry level console to get you into next gen for a more affordable price, but in 3 years you'd have to upgrade or else it wont' support new releases, would that kill its appeal, or would people be okay with the idea of upgrading a cheaper console every 3 years rather than shelling out $500 every 6 or 7 years. 

*For those not interested in upgrading, game that aren't supported are only playable through xCloud on an internet connection.  Cloud Gaming is already in a decent spot today, and I imagine every year it'll get better and better.

*Microsoft has said it's done with generations, so it seems it'd make sense for them to try an ever evolving console upgrade system vs a 7 year console cycle that's been going on currently.

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I think I posed this question before, but if Microsoft came out and said, the XSS will be supported for 3 years, and at that 3 year mark, there will be a trade in program to upgrade to a Series X for something like $200 or $20 a month with Xbox All Access, how would that be perceived to the general public.  At that time, a newer XSX2 will release that's even more powerful that XSX owners can upgrade to if they chose.  

In years past, we have seen revisions of the consoles 3 or so years in right with a slim version?  I know not everyone buys the revision, but if it was sold that the Series S is an entry level console to get you into next gen for a more affordable price, but in 3 years you'd have to upgrade or else it wont' support new releases, would that kill its appeal, or would people be okay with the idea of upgrading a cheaper console every 3 years rather than shelling out $500 every 6 or 7 years.  

The second that video consoles 100% completely embrace the stupid cell phone model of new shit every year or two.  I'm out.  If i wanted something I could upgrade I would buy a PC.  I play on consoles for the ease of it.  You buy it and everything works like it should for 5-7 years.  Get a ton for the money I spent, then get the new one.  Fuck incremental money grab .5 consoles.

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

The second that video consoles 100% completely embrace the stupid cell phone model of new shit every year or two.  I'm out.  If i wanted something I could upgrade I would buy a PC.  I play on consoles for the ease of it.  You buy it and everything works like it should for 5-7 years.  Get a ton for the money I spent, then get the new one.  Fuck incremental money grab .5 consoles.

Even if you're paying half the price a new console should cost every 7 years? 

Someone always has the option to buy the $500 version right out the gate and enjoy it for 6-7 years.  This is asking if introducing a lower end introductory model at $300 knowing it'll have to be upgraded in 3 years, but having an upgrade path to the higher end model at a fair price point.  So you pay $500 total after the 3 years, but there's a cheaper entry point early on in the generation to allow more people to early adopt and get install bases higher quicker for next gen games to have more potential sales.

It also solves some of the problem of holding back the entire generation if that is indeed a problem with a lower end spec.

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Gamepass man. This system is for gamepass.

Obviously, as I never said otherwise.  Microsoft is forcing users to get Gamepass with this device, because the value is great for those selections of games.  However, game pass does not give you the big yearly titles like CoD, 2k, Madden, Ubisoft games, etc, and these games are easily and cheaply found as used discs, and these are titles that people who buy the budget console would get.

10 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Obviously, as I never said otherwise.  Microsoft is forcing users to get Gamepass with this device, because the value is great for those selections of games.  However, game pass does not give you the big yearly titles like CoD, 2k, Madden, Ubisoft games, etc, and these games are easily and cheaply found as used discs, and these are titles that people who buy the budget console would get.

It also doesn't work with Gamefly.

21 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

However, game pass does not give you the big yearly titles like CoD, 2k, Madden, Ubisoft games, etc, and these games are easily and cheaply found as used discs, and these are titles that people who buy the budget console would get.

I kind of question how cheap physical discs will be if digital consoles are the norm.

My suspicion is that both digital and physical games will hold their value more than in the past.

24 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I haven't been to a Gamestop since probable the early 360 days.

How much does a used CoD or Madden game cost within 3-6 months of it's launch?  Back in the day they hardly dropped value anywhere close to when they launch as not many people are returning or selling back a CoD or Madden.  I remember used copies being priced like $45 quite a while after it released.  

Madden is now part of Game Pass as well, where you can get a minimum 10% off the price of it new being a subscriber, or wait til it gets added to EA Play, which last year, was 5 months after it released.

And people that play CoD Multiplayer, are mostly Warzone players these days.  That's a F2P game now, so who knows how many still buy the full version of CoD considering how few used to play the Campaigns.

I already know quite a few people that were on the fence of getting a new console at launch now very much interested because of the XSS, so I do think it's doing its job of trying to get more early adoption into next gen.

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Its already happen with the Pro and X "upgrade". Its been normalized now and it will happen again this gen.

The used game market is so healthy, that Gamestop is closing 450 stores this year on top of the over 300 they closed last year.

Last year, the games retailer closed 321 stores classed as "underperforming" by CFO James Bell. It followed tumbling hardware and software sales by the company, and that was before anyone had heard the word "COVID-19." Then in March, 300 more store closures were announced in what Bell classed as continuing to "de-densify our global store fleet." It seems 300 isn't enough anymore, though

Video games retailers have been placed in an increasingly difficult situation for years now due mainly to the growing popularity of digital games sales. As Statista reports, digital sales have grown from just 20 percent in 2009 to 83 percent in 2018. The pandemic has closed retail stores and pushed even more people to buy online, so the outlook for game retail stores certainly doesn't look healthy going forward, even if we are about to get a new generation of hardware.

This article is from yesterday.

20 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

How much does a used CoD or Madden game cost within 3-6 months of it's launch?  Back in the day they hardly dropped value anywhere close to when they launch as not many people are returning or selling back a CoD or Madden.  I remember used copies being priced like $45 quite a while after it released.  

I think you're right -- CoD/Madden/FIFA/NBA 2k don't fall very far in price being used.

Madden is now part of Game Pass as well, where you can get a minimum 10% off the price of it new being a subscriber, or wait til it gets added to EA Play, which last year, was 5 months after it released.

Old Madden is part of Game Pass.  The people who play Madden want to play it with the current rosters, during Football season.

It will be interesting to see if that 10% discount carries over when EA Play joins Game Pass later this year.

And people that play CoD Multiplayer, are mostly Warzone players these days.  That's a F2P game now, so who knows how many still buy the full version of CoD considering how few used to play the Campaigns.

:shrug:  CoD was #2 in last NPD, it seems to still be doing pretty well.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The used game market is so healthy, that Gamestop is closing 450 stores this year on top of the over 300 they closed last year.

This article is from yesterday.

Physical media for consoles is on the way out, and in the wake of the pandemic who wants to be buying used shit from possible infected sources. 

Some of the shit being posted here reminds me of the phrase that I believe @skillzdadirecta used not to long ago "Concerned Trolling"

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think you're right -- CoD/Madden/FIFA/NBA 2k don't fall very far in price being used.

Old Madden is part of Game Pass.  The people who play Madden want to play it with the current rosters, during Football season.

It will be interesting to see if that 10% discount carries over when EA Play joins Game Pass later this year.

:shrug:  CoD was #2 in last NPD, it seems to still be doing pretty well.

Madden 20 was added in January of 2020, 5 months after it launched in August.  Yeah it's 5 months old at that point, but if you are just playing a Franchise Mode or something, many maybe fine waiting 5 months to play it as part of their subscription rather than pay $60 for it new.

It seems most of EA's games have been added to EA Access roughly 6 months after they launch.

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

Madden 20 was added in January of 2020, 5 months after it launched in August.  Yeah it's 5 months old at that point, but if you are just playing a Franchise Mode or something, many maybe fine waiting 5 months to play it as part of their subscription rather than pay $60 for it new.

It seems most of EA's games have been added to EA Access roughly 6 months after they launch.

You're waiting until after Football season is over -- that's the point.