Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They'd cut if the other did to get ahead.  Simple as that.  They both realize that introducing by the mid-cycle consoles they don't have to race to the bottom.

Duopolies, man.

1 minute ago, SoberChef said:

Am I to infer you're buying ALL of that...because I would enjoy a share of that fresh fuck you money apparently rolling about in your bank accounts sir! :lol:

People love their Dunkin’ Donuts, even in a pandemic!

26 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'll go one further.
e8j7k.jpg

The more interesting takaway here might be how much the market for dedicated gaming hardware has contracted.  

I’d be curious to see if the continual march towards close to no exclusive content outside of first party games has lead to fewer households owning multiple consoles in the same generation.

The 2007 thru 2010 was just people replacing their RROD Xbox's.

The Wii was also on fire during those years as well and Xbox was hugely popular in the states.

This generation, despite PS4 outselling Xbox 2:1, the US is still very close in console sales.  Something within a few million I believe I saw this past week.

6 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

The Wii was also on fire during those years as well and Xbox was hugely popular in the states.

This generation, despite PS4 outselling Xbox 2:1, the US is still very close in console sales.  Something within a few million I believe I saw this past week.

Shit I went through FIVE of those sum bitches myself :p

I used to buy RROD 360s off of eBay for $10-$20 and then RMA any with serials that hadn’t yet been registered. Then I’d sell the refurb to a friend for $50. MS eventually cracked down on the program, but I did it somewhere around 20 times before they changed their process to require you to pay up front.

This console is going to be fine.  The X will target 4k resolution, perhaps 1440p later in life, while this can target 4k, and drop down to 1080p later.  Not everyone has a 4k TV, and "casuals" and kids don't pay attention to resolution.  The lack of a disc drive for this crowd, who probably engage in the used game/swap market, will be a bigger factor than its raw performance.

24 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

This console is going to be fine.  The X will target 4k resolution, perhaps 1440p later in life, while this can target 4k, and drop down to 1080p later.  Not everyone has a 4k TV, and "casuals" and kids don't pay attention to resolution.  The lack of a disc drive for this crowd, who probably engage in the used game/swap market, will be a bigger factor than its raw performance.

Isn't 4k > 1440p?

51 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wonder how much the PS5's will be.

The “officially branded” expansions are always way more than just buying a compatible drive. The current 1tb external SSD for Xbone from Seagate is $180. Meanwhile you can get a non-Xbox branded one that has the same read/write/transfer speeds for $110. 
Expect non-XSX branded SSDs to be the same price as any gen3 M.2 SSD (because that’s all it is :p ). The real question to be asked if additional m.2 storage will need some type of adapter that doesn’t come with the XSX, and if so, how much is that adapter? I’d imagine that the port for an additional SSD is a box you pull out and can attach an m.2 drive to, while these official ones will replace said box and just click in.

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The “officially branded” expansions are always way more than just buying a compatible drive. The current 1tb external SSD for Xbone from Seagate is $180. Meanwhile you can get a non-Xbox branded one that has the same read/write/transfer speeds for $110. 
Expect non-XSX branded SSDs to be the same price as any gen3 M.2 SSD (because that’s all it is :p ). The real question to be asked if additional m.2 storage will need some type of adapter that doesn’t come with the XSX, and if so, how much is that adapter? I’d imagine that the port for an additional SSD is a box you pull out and can attach an m.2 drive to, while these official ones will replace said box and just click in.

This is what the Series X expandable SSD storage looks like. I don't think there will be an adapter at launch for non proprietary solutions.

xbox-series-x-will-require-proprietary-c

44 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hmmm... I bought an 8TB branded Seagate drive for the Xbox two years ago for $150.00 :thinking:

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yup, you’ll just need the eventual third party adapter unless the console comes with one.

Pretty sure the console won't come with one and will definitely need to wait a while before third party SSD's come out. So at launch it will most likely be a must buy for most people especially Series S owners.

I think MS has said that traditional external HDD's will be recognized by the system but will not be able to play games off of it. So I'm thinking you will need to transfer back and forth any games that you will want to play between the external HDD and the internal SSD. I can live with that solution for a bit since I usually just play like 4-5 games at a time from my collection of 400+ games.

Just now, The def star said:

So at launch it will most likely be a must buy for most people especially Series S owners.

Considering that would bring it to the price of the X, no :p 

The avg person is definitely going to spend the absurd amount on the official drives, though, sadly. More-so because they’ll think anything that isn’t XBOX branded won’t work... much like how Sandisk charges more for their “Switch microSD” cards that are exactly the same as their non-branded ones :p 

12 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

We also forget that in addition to the Wii, the Nintendo DS was tearing up the sales charts.