Godfall (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Pikachu

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Dude, theres no way a game like godfall will ever be sold out. First it won’t be that popular. Second, most who buy it will do so digitally.

So you’re paying 60+$ for a game that will probably be down to 30-40 in couple of months If you don’t get a ps5 by the end of 2020. 

You're probably right. But since I had store credit I only wound up paying $20 for Godfall and Demon's Souls. And I still have over $100 in store credit. lol

OK, so this is up on Epic Store for PC and so I was able to play about 40 minutes of it, which allowed me to completed the initial mission. The aesthetic and tone of this seem similar to the love child of a three way with Transforms, Spawn, and Lord of the Fallen. VERY BALL SAUCEY! But, I'm enjoying it and there is loot and there is a decent amount of potential in its combat system as there is a lot of different moves with just the basic weapons provided. I don't know if it will take me a single place I've never been, but I'm liking what I've played of it so far!  

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, so this is up on Epic Store for PC and so I was able to play about 40 minutes of it, which allowed me to completed the initial mission. The aesthetic and tone of this seem similar to the love child of a three way with Transforms, Spawn, and Lord of the Fallen. VERY BALL SAUCEY! But, I'm enjoying it and there is loot and there is a decent amount of potential in its combat system as there is a lot of different moves with just the basic weapons provided. I don't know if it will take me a single place I've never been, but I'm liking what I've played of it so far!  

From everything I've read including your impressions it seems like a game that 6 months-1 year later might be really really good, but is severely lacking in content at the moment. I don't think I want to spend $60-70 on something that will presumably much cheaper and also a much better game several months later. 

Just now, thedarkstark said:

From everything I've read including your impressions it seems like a game that 6 months-1 year later might be really really good, but is severely lacking in content at the moment. I don't think I want to spend $60-70 on something that will presumably much cheaper and also a much better game several months later. 

Given all the other great titles coming out now, I'm sure this will be heavily discounted by Spring so yeah, look forward to a fun game at a very reasonable price soonish! 

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They have DLC planned too... I wouldn't expect and discounts for AT LEAST a year. The gameplay is what sold me on this game as it looked real deep. Looking forward to diving into this tomorrow. Game reminds me of some of the Chinese comics I used to read back in the day.

I mean Watch Dogs Legion has tons of DLC planned but Gamestop has it on sale for $32 on black friday (Avengers will be $27). If this game doesn't sell well it will go on sale early and often, a looter game can't afford to lose its playerbase. 

57 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

I mean Watch Dogs Legion has tons of DLC planned but Gamestop has it on sale for $32 on black friday (Avengers will be $27). If this game doesn't sell well it will go on sale early and often, a looter game can't afford to lose its playerbase. 

Watchdogs Legions and Avengers both launched on all platforms simultaneously. Godfall won't be out on Xbox till spring at the earliest so unless they plan on selling it cheap on a brand new console then I don't see it being discounted. Also you guys are crazy if you don't think ALL of these launch games are gonna sell well. People are gonna buy shit just to play on thier shiny new consoles... I doubt Godfall will tank on the PS5.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Watchdogs Legions and Avengers both launched on all platforms simultaneously. Godfall won't be out on Xbox till spring at the earliest so unless they plan on selling it cheap on a brand new console then I don't see it being discounted. Also you guys are crazy if you don't think ALL of these launch games are gonna sell well. People are gonna buy shit just to play on thier shiny new consoles... I doubt Godfall will tank on the PS5.

There are some really good launch window games, Godfall doesn't have the luxury if its stiffest competition being Motorstorm.

Would you like to place a wager on it not going on sale before the XSX Launch?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No because I really don't care that much :peace:

Fair enough, I'm hoping the game ends up being really fun, this is exactly my type of game (put 1,000s of hours into PSO, Warframe, Monster Hunter, etc.) but if I run out of content after a week I'd feel cheated spending $70 on it.

:rocking:

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah that 70 bucks is gonna be sticker shock for a LOT of folks. Apparently Sony explored charging even MORE for next gen games.

'Oh look, Call of Duty / NBA2K / Demon Souls is $70 instead of $60'

'Charges credit card'

These sort of games are going to make it palatable in the here and now. The faster the new consoles sell, the more typical it will become.

Godfall could get swept up in the pricing drama after the reviews.  But really, if it bombs, $60 still wouldn't have given it a fighting chance.

Game Information

Game Title: Godfall

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Nov 12, 2020)
  • PC (Nov 12, 2020)

Developer: Counterplay Games

Publisher: Gearbox Publishing

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 61 average - 6% recommended

Critic Reviews

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10

Godfall is a massive surprise. It borrows combat from God of War and has enough loot to make Diablo blush. It may look garish but it's well designed and has that "one more go" factor.

Fextralife - 7.5 / 10

While primarily Godfall is a fun game, if you're planning to play for solo content it may not be worth the full 60 USD at launch. Godfall mixes gameplay mechanics from a few popular titles, but doesn't do anything ground breaking. The game is great to play in co-op and will be best suited for those looking forward to multiplayer content.

PC Invasion - 7.5 / 10

It's derivative, only has three zones, and doesn't have much to offer besides its combat, but Godfall will be enjoyable to anyone who just wants a well-tuned, good-looking action RPG to slash their way through.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

It's a shame this had to be $70 out of the gate on PS5 (it's $59.99 on PC) and that it has to be tethered to an always-online system. Whoever made that decision doomed this project's reputation, at least in the short term. Godfall is going to go down as one of the most divisive games of this generation's launch: a relic to some, a wild whispered-about gem to others. Make sure that before you get it, all of your action-junkie boxes are checked.

Game Informer - 7 / 10

Fun to play solo or with friends, but both avenues are filled with monotonous level design

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5 stars

An enjoyable hack and slash looter that plays well despite a sparse, repeating structure

Just Push Start - 3.5 / 5

Truth be told, Godfall is a hard experience to review. You have a serviceable story, impressive graphics for a launch title, satisfying combat centered around an underwhelming loot system, RPG mechanics, and diversity. I will honestly say I did not get the experience I was expecting, something like Destiny centered around swords, but it was still good. There are certainly great things to be said about everything here, you should just go in expecting more of a hack and slash game than one centered around loot.

Press Start - 7 / 10

Godfall is often great in its moment to moment gameplay, though fails to ever make anything of its story. It's a fun time, but never feels like it reaches its full potential.

Shacknews - 7 / 10

If you want a fairly mindless RPG experience that offers some different weapons and gear to mess around with, then Godfall will give you at least a few hours of fun. Just don’t expect a fantasy story worthy of its inspirations, or a world that fully explores its potential and you’ll be fine.

Wccftech - 7 / 10

While not our final score for Godfall, we're reserving the opportunity to adjust the tally for Godfall based on the endgame content. If it somehow redeems the lackluster loot that players will carve through during the campaign, that number might change. Otherwise, go into this one looking for some quality swordplay and subpar swords.

Gamersky - Chinese - 6.5 / 10

Godfall is a typical game that make you scream when you watching its trailers, but make you sleepy when you actually playing. Its gorgeous art design and outstanding graphics are indeed commendable. But in other parts, it's very boring.

PC Gamer - 65 / 100

A pleasant, samey slasher that may bore your digits while making your GPU sweat.

Spaziogames - Italian - 6.5 / 10

Godfall is a derivative action with a repetitive game structures and bad loot balancing. Despite the good graphics, there are few game elements that can be saved.

AusGamers - 6 / 10

Despite that less than acceptable end game experience, I can still recognise the glimmer of potential in Godfall. For a first outing, Counterplay has achieved something that's undeniably striking in the visuals department, though that's marred by sameiness and the odd, isolated framerate hitch. We also have an addictive loot game and a surprisingly deep RPG upgrade system here, though it's hamstrung by fisticuffs that don't nail down those all important fundamentals.

Critical Hit - 6 / 10

Godfall hits the nail on the next-gen launch game head: All style, very little substance. Granted there's some fun to be had but once the next-generation glitz wears off what's left is a repetitive slog through levels that quickly get old.

Daily Mirror - 3 / 5 stars

If you can reduce the narrative to background noise and brute force your way through some of the shortcomings, there are worse ways to spend your time than with this middling adventure, although given the PS5 version's whopping £70 price point (just for the standard edition), you may want to wait for a sale.

Godfall is out now for PlayStation 5 for £69.99 and on PC (via the Epic Game Store ) for £49.99

GameSkinny - 6 / 10 stars

Godfall's incredible visuals and stylish combat lift up an otherwise repetitive and bland hack n' slash adventure that lacks depth.

GamingBolt - 6 / 10

The combat feels good, but that doesn't stop it from being an aggressively mediocre game that lifted most of its gameplay ideas from better titles. Play those instead.

Hardcore Gamer - 3 / 5

Console launches are notoriously difficult for developers as they work to get a grasp on new technology.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 6 / 10

Godfall is a beautiful game with a shallow story, but could have been so much more had someone taken the time to really hash it out and tie each Valorplate into a different character and expand on the realms. Instead we are given a confusing story that doesn't fit the equipment and realms that really don't care which suit you are wearing. While the weapons and armor gave the game a serious chance at success, I'm afraid the storyline and repetitive gameplay will doom this game to the bargain bin. It is beautiful, though, and that is its greatest achievement as a launch day PS5 title.

PlayStation Universe - 6 / 10

Godfall has all the ingredients for an enjoyable epic game, but somehow these ingredients are assembled into a soulless Franken-game that feels empty and soulless. While the combat is solid, and some of the boss fights are clever, players will still be left wondering why they should continue playing. Gorgeous to look at, but ultimately numbing to play.

Screen Rant - 3 / 5 stars

Godfall is an ambitious action RPG with gorgeous graphics and great combat mechanics that jump off the screen. Unfortunately, its repetitive locations and missions, lack of strong narrative, and uncompelling characters may fail to impress players and those factors prevent Godfall from living up to its potential.

Checkpoint Gaming - 5 / 10

It might at least be a fun one to pick up on sale in a few months when the launch hype has died down – by then, they’ll have hopefully mixed in some more variety to make it worthwhile.

Digital Trends - 2.5 / 5 stars

Godfall's dazzling visuals and promising combat are held back by repetitive dungeon crawling.

Forbes - 5 / 10

I cannot recommend this game at full price. Again, as part of a free subscription it might be worth checking out and getting a few hours of slashy combat in. But I wouldn’t touch it unless the $70 asking price comes down by at least half, and even then, there are a half dozen other better games out this fall alone. I wanted to like Godfall. I never want to see games in this genre fail. But fail it does, and in a worse way than anything I have seen in a long while.

GameSpot - 5 / 10

Godfall's monotonous structure is held together by punchy combat that can't bear the full weight.

Metro GameCentral - 5 / 10

Although it seems to have all the necessary components to become a compelling looter-slasher Godfall's fussy mechanics and repetitive design will quickly sap your interest.

PCGamesN - 5 / 10

Godfall's tried and trusted combat feels pleasant from moment-to-moment, but doesn't do enough to distract from an otherwise hollow experience.

Seasoned Gaming - 5 / 10

Unfortunately, Godfall will become an example of what happens to a game when you rush it, knowing that it isn’t ready for market.

TechRaptor - 5 / 10

A disappointment in almost all areas besides combat and graphics, Godfall feels more like a next-generation showcase than anything else. A boatload of stats and unsubstantial loot are just some of Godfall's major problems.

TheGamer - 2.5 / 5 stars

If you’re looking for another game like Anthem, this is that with swords. It might be wearing flashy armor, but its muscles are atrophied underneath.

TheSixthAxis - 5 / 10

It takes a while for Godfall's combat to truly open up and when it does, you'll revel in its beefy ballet of well-timed blows and counters. That said, it's hard to ignore the flimsy scaffolding that keeps this PS5 launch title standing, the lack of matchmaking, and a loot system you'll quickly lose interest in. Although still great fun in short bursts, this isn't the rousing next-gen RPG experience you've been searching for.

EGM - 4 / 10

Godfall's sluggish, overly complicated combat, hilariously paper-thin story, and numerous technical issues make it a lowlight of the PlayStation 5's launch lineup.

IGN - Unscored

I’m enjoying Godfall, even if it’s not doing much to wow me and the repetition of its missions is wearing a bit thin. It’s got some fun and satisfying combat, a few genuinely novel mechanics, and graphics that range from absolutely gorgeous to a little over the top – but unless its thin story morphs into more than an excuse to go stab stuff, the grindable action-looter structure doesn't seem like it has enough variety to sustain its otherwise expansive customization.

Polygon - Unscored

Then, about three-fourths into my playthrough, I found a legendary warhammer with an unbelievably powerful perk. Whenever I used a Weapon Technique, it created an enormous bubble that slowed any enemy within it to a crawl. It didn't rely on a trigger, ailment, debuff, a percentage, or anything. When it dropped, I read the description in bewilderment. Was this thing for real? It was so out of line with anything else the rest of the game had given me that I doubted it'd be useful. But it was. It made tough encounters a breeze. It destroyed bosses. The rest of the game went by in a flash. It was the most fun I'd had with Godfall, and I held on to that warhammer even after it was one of the weakest pieces of loot I had, just because of that one perk. I wish I'd found more items like it, because it was a welcome change of pace.

TrustedReviews - Unscored

Godfall currently feels very familiar: it unashamedly borrows the loot system that made Destiny and Borderlands great, attempting to mix it with hardcore Souls-like melee combat.

In the first few hours, this makes the game feel a little dull. But the core mechanics feel well built and could act as a stable base for the game's more interesting character building and co-op dynamics, of which I've currently only scratched the surface.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Godfall (PS5/PC) - Information Thread (Launching Holiday 2020), update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Game Information

Game Title: Godfall

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Nov 12, 2020)
  • PC (Nov 12, 2020)

Developer: Counterplay Games

Publisher: Gearbox Publishing

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 63 average - 13% recommended

Critic Reviews

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10

Fextralife - 7.5 / 10

PC Invasion - 7.5 / 10

Destructoid - 7 / 10

Game Informer - 7 / 10

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5 stars

Shacknews - 7 / 10

Wccftech - 7 / 10

GamingBolt - 6 / 10

Screen Rant - 3 / 5 stars

Digital Trends - 2.5 / 5 stars

Metro GameCentral - 5 / 10

PCGamesN - 5 / 10

TheGamer - 2.5 / 5 stars

EGM - 4 / 10

GameSpot - Unscored

IGN - Unscored

TheSixthAxis - Unscored

TrustedReviews - Unscored

Sounds like a future candidate for PlayStation Plus.  

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Godfall (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 1 year later...