Dow tumbles 500 points after bond market flashes a recession warning (this warning has a perfect record for past 50 years at least)

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

lol I tried starting a savings for a new car last month. Put in $500, and a month later instead of growing it was down to $150. Life is awesome!

Did it shrink because of market losses, or because you took money out? If it was the former, I would recommend keeping short or medium-term investments in a high-interest savings account rather than in actual stocks or index funds.

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Did it shrink because of market losses, or because you took money out? If it was the former, I would recommend keeping short or medium-term investments in a high-interest savings account rather than in actual stocks or index funds.

High-interest savings account, lol. That's cute.

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

High-interest savings account, lol. That's cute.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

There are several banks where you can get ~2.3% on savings accounts.

I think I've talked about it before, but I guess it depends on where you live. In Canada 2.3 - 3.0% HISA are common, usually through online banking-only (but with free unlimited e-transfers to chequing accounts, etc). I think they are less common in the US, but still available in some places. I use EQ Bank (Canada-only) which is 2.3% with unlimited e-transfers (bank-to-bank instant transfer using email). You can get slightly better rates if you lock it in through a GIC as well (can't take it out until X date) up to 2.6%, I think. 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

You make it sound like a retirement plan. This is just a savings account at Wells Fargo, and it shrunk becauses our expenses are too high and we had to pull from it.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Really? I get the feeling you are being sarcastic.

It maybe . I have a way2save account with Wells Fargo and you are limited to having 5 transfers per month. Not sure about letters from homeland security.

39 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Really? I get the feeling you are being sarcastic.

Regulation D allows 6 electronic transfers a month out of a savings account. Any more than that may subject you to a fee. If that happens more than 3 times in a 12 months period your savings account is subject to be closed or converted to a checking account.

In person transactions do not count towards the 6 electronic withdrawals.

2 hours ago, Oberon said:

Regulation D allows 6 electronic transfers a month out of a savings account. Any more than that may subject you to a fee. If that happens more than 3 times in a 12 months period your savings account is subject to be closed or converted to a checking account.

In person transactions do not count towards the 6 electronic withdrawals.

Haha wow, you guys weren't kidding. That's crazy and makes no sense with today's electronic banking. I get unlimited transfers/withdrawals, and they are all instant (well, up to 30 minutes on a weekend, potentially). There are some money limits on e-transfers, but it's not prohibitive.

16 hours ago, Chris- said:

Of course not, wouldn't want to do something that disproportionately helps the working and middle class, no sir!

That wealth will trickle down any day now. just gotta keep cutting taxes on the wealthy.

TBH i am surprised it took the white house so long to realize you just need to cut taxes on the rich to prevent recessions.

How the fuck do you people have so much money invested in retirements and other accounts?  You must all get paid better than I do, because all I have left after rent, loan payments, and monthly bills is about $1200.  And that's not counting things like groceries and gas.  Or maybe I'm just shit at budgeting...

I'm 30, and I only just this year have a decent paying job to even now have a retirement account.  At this rate I'm going to be stuck working until I'm dead.

6 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I'm 30, and I only just this year have a decent paying job to even now have a retirement account

Basically it's this. 

But don't compare yourself to others, especially in financial matters. Not everyone starts from the same spot in life. Some get significant help from parents, some luck out (with hard work and intelligence, obviously) in getting good, high paying jobs, and don't have other major hindrances that actively work against them. All you can do is the best you can with the die cast for you, and try and improve upon that from today to the next, even if just a little bit at a time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

How the fuck do you people have so much money invested in retirements and other accounts?  You must all get paid better than I do, because all I have left after rent, loan payments, and monthly bills is about $1200.  And that's not counting things like groceries and gas.  Or maybe I'm just shit at budgeting...

I'm 30, and I only just this year have a decent paying job to even now have a retirement account.  At this rate I'm going to be stuck working until I'm dead.

Please invest in a Roth and not a 401k unless your company has a good match.

54 minutes ago, Jose said:

Please invest in a Roth and not a 401k unless your company has a good match.

My company does not match...

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Basically it's this. 

But don't compare yourself to others, especially in financial matters. Not everyone starts from the same spot in life. Some get significant help from parents, some luck out (with hard work and intelligence, obviously) in getting good, high paying jobs, and don't have other major hindrances that actively work against them. All you can do is the best you can with the die cast for you, and try and improve upon that from today to the next, even if just a little bit at a time.

Fair enough.

5 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Do it anyway, regular 401k though, not Roth. Bring down your taxable income. 

Iirc, If you expect taxes to increase by the time you retire, Roth is the way to go. If you expect them to decrease by that time, 401k.

So in general:

401k to match -> Roth -> 401k