Outriders (People Can Fly co-op RPG shooter) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

11 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Just a heads up for those playing 

outriders-armor.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

A major Outriders bug is causing players to lose hundreds of hours of progress after their inventory is wiped. Outriders is working on fixing the problem, but it's still happening after the first patch update.

Ouch! I'm holding off to play this anyway but thank you for the heads up!

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not a big deal for me as most of the stuff in my inventory is trash anyway. The character progress is the most important thing.

What's your overall opinion on it? Is it something you can play solo and still have fun? If I have to play with others I'm ok with that as long as I don't have to communicate with them. I did that in Destiny 2 and that worked out just fine.

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What's your overall opinion on it? Is it something you can play solo and still have fun? If I have to play with others I'm ok with that as long as I don't have to communicate with them. I did that in Destiny 2 and that worked out just fine.

Check out my initial impressions on the previous page. As I've put a bit more time into it I can probably say a few more things.

I think the game has a lot of flaws and a lot of confusing design choices. The best thing it has going for it is the battles are kind of fun. I haven't played with another person and yeah I guess you can have fun with it. Ask yourself what you really want from a game, do you think fighting sameish set pieces of enemies could keep your interest?

That being said, it's on game pass and probably the best place for it to be, because if you play it and hate it you haven't lost anything.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's fun both solo and with other people. They really nail the progression and difficulty with the world tiers. I still don't know what game @Keyser_Soze is playing but the way you spec your character along with the mod system really opens up tailoring builds to a particular playstyle. As far as inventories getting wiped, I'm pretty sure that's been fixed. @TomCat 's character got their inventory wiped but I believe all his stuff came right back after a quick fix. This game really is a pleasant suprise and one of the better looter shooters out there in recent years.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Check out my initial impressions on the previous page. As I've put a bit more time into it I can probably say a few more things.

I think the game has a lot of flaws and a lot of confusing design choices. The best thing it has going for it is the battles are kind of fun. I haven't played with another person and yeah I guess you can have fun with it. Ask yourself what you really want from a game, do you think fighting sameish set pieces of enemies could keep your interest?

That being said, it's on game pass and probably the best place for it to be, because if you play it and hate it you haven't lost anything.

Ok, I get you. Like you said, it's on gamepass so I have nothing to lose. It seems as though @skillzdadirecta is really enjoying himself so that has me looking forward to playing it a lot. I have always enjoyed this genre but never fully stick with them for long periods of time. We shall see how I enjoy it. I appreciate your opinion on it and same to you, @skillzdadirecta.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok, I get you. Like you said, it's on gamepass so I have nothing to lose. It seems as though @skillzdadirecta is really enjoying himself so that has me looking forward to playing it a lot. I have always enjoyed this genre but never fully stick with them for long periods of time. We shall see how I enjoy it. I appreciate your opinion on it and same to you, @skillzdadirecta.

There's a couple of us really digging it... Me @Mercury33 @JPDunks4 @ARZ and @TomCat are all digging it and we are all Destiny/ Division guys. So take that for what it's worth.

Just now, best3444 said:

I loved Destiny and Destiny 2. I enjoyed the Division as well. I do enjoy them. Not sure where you got that idea from? Unless I said something in the past that made you think that. 

I thought you never played games online?

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I thought you never played games online?

What? I played online for years with my friends, brothers etc. All the way back to the original Xbox. I played COD4 online every weekend for years online with my brother and friend. Played Destiny 1 & 2 online with my nephew and his friends. Played many games online throughout the years. FF 14 online was my twin brother and I favorite game to play online. Etc etc etc lol

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'd be curious to what you think.

For fun here's a little story (a small elaboration on my comment about the game design)

There's a mission you have to do for one of these characters and you basically have to retrieve a briefcase that was stolen when someone stole the guy's vehicle. Part of the mission is to retrieve a journal. So you get to that part, and it's inside a building. You load into the building and the inside of the building is about the size of a bedroom, there's nothing to do inside this small rectangle, no enemies, no characters, you just go into the building and take the journal and leave, and then you have to load back into an area. It was something truly bizarre I though. :p

• Haha 1

The loading is a legit complaint, I'll give you that. I'm playing on the series X so the load times are negligible but is they are longer on last gen consoles I can see how that would get annoying. As it is, it is a weird thing that @JPDunks4 and I have noticed as well. Nothing gamebreaking though... just weird. A more serious complaint that I have is that I wish the controls were a tad more responsive for some encounters. Fighting human enemies they work fine, but when you're fighting non-human mobs that constantly rush you, that's when the controls start to show their limitations. I die more due to the control inputs not being able to keep up with my commands or getting stuck on the environment more than anything else. Again, not game breaking, but annoying especially when there IS a penalty for dying in you lose progeress to the next world tier.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A more serious complaint that I have is that I wish the controls were a tad more responsive for some encounters. Fighting human enemies they work fine, but when you're fighting non-human mobs that constantly rush you, that's when the controls start to show their limitations. I die more due to the control inputs not being able to keep up with my commands or getting stuck on the environment more than anything else. Again, not game breaking, but annoying especially when there IS a penalty for dying in you lose progeress to the next world tier.

I'm only level 6 so far so I haven't gotten to anything challenging. I'm sort of the opposite of you, non human enemies are a cakewalk, I'm the trickster so if anyone gets close to me I just use my invincible blade whirl that lasts a long time on a very short cooldown.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm only level 6 so far so I haven't gotten to anything challenging. I'm sort of the opposite of you, non human enemies are a cakewalk, I'm the trickster so if anyone gets close to me I just use my invincible blade whirl that lasts a long time on a very short cooldown.

Oh you're very early my friend... You haven't even met all of the non-human creatures in the game yet. They get tougher and will mob you at higher levels. I'm level 21 with my technomancer and level 19 with my pyro. In fact my lowest level character IS my trickster who is level 11.  When you get to higher levels and world ters your skills, loot and mods come much more into play than in the earlier levels.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

When you get to higher levels and world ters your skills, loot and mods come much more into play than in the earlier levels.

I use my skills almost constantly so hard to imagine them coming more into play than I already am. :p

Hopefully I can carve some more time out with this game, I haven't played in a couple of days.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The loading is a legit complaint, I'll give you that. I'm playing on the series X so the load times are negligible but is they are longer on last gen consoles I can see how that would get annoying. As it is, it is a weird thing that @JPDunks4 and I have noticed as well. Nothing gamebreaking though... just weird. A more serious complaint that I have is that I wish the controls were a tad more responsive for some encounters. Fighting human enemies they work fine, but when you're fighting non-human mobs that constantly rush you, that's when the controls start to show their limitations. I die more due to the control inputs not being able to keep up with my commands or getting stuck on the environment more than anything else. Again, not game breaking, but annoying especially when there IS a penalty for dying in you lose progeress to the next world tier.

The problem isnt that the controls aren't responsive is that when enemies mob you you can't move much. I try to roll but because I'm surrounded by enemies the animation can't take place due to there not being enough space to roll. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I use my skills almost constantly so hard to imagine them coming more into play than I already am. :p

Hopefully I can carve some more time out with this game, I haven't played in a couple of days.

Its not that you use them more. You just use them differently in more interesting ways because the perks you unlock change what they do. 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You're still basically playing the demo... Skillz (:p) definitely come into play more as the game progresses and as you unlock more mods and armor that compliments and enhances the skills. Also how you use your skills changes based on whether or not you're playing solo or alone. You've still got a ways togo... I don't know if you'll end up liking the game more, but there's far more to it than what you've experienced in just getting to level 6. I got to level 7 with all for classes when the demo was out :p

1 hour ago, The def star said:

The problem isnt that the controls aren't responsive is that when enemies mob you you can't move much. I try to roll but because I'm surrounded by enemies the animation can't take place due to there not being enough space to roll. 

That's definitely a problem but there's also an issue with the sprint button not responding some times the first time you press it requiring you to have to press it more than once. I think there's a mod that let's you become a phantom when you roll... I haven;t used it but that may fix what you're talking about.

I’m a level 10 pyro, about 6 or 7 hours in and hoping it gets harder. I’m basically a bullet sponge that doesn’t really have to worry about dying. I’m all about staying alive. But I also expected to get my butt thoroughly kicked by now. My anomaly abilities are constantly restoring my life so I don’t have to worry about taking serious damage.

11 minutes ago, nublood said:

I’m a level 10 pyro, about 6 or 7 hours in and hoping it gets harder. I’m basically a bullet sponge that doesn’t really have to worry about dying. I’m all about staying alive. But I also expected to get my butt thoroughly kicked by now. My anomaly abilities are constantly restoring my life so I don’t have to worry about taking serious damage.

What part of the game are you at? And what World Tier?

7 hours ago, nublood said:

You're in a low world tier I bet. You probably don't have the game set to automatically put you in the highest available World Tier for your level. This game is definitely not easy if you're playing in the most available world tier.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:56 AM, JPDunks4 said:

Don't believe so, possibly the faster you kill stuff the faster it levels.  But I do know dying is one of the bigger factors in slowing down leveling of the World Tiers.

I hit Tier 7 I believe during the Snow Area.

Oh yeah, and I also assume you're doing all side missions as well right?

I see what you’re saying now. I hadn’t played for a bit but I jumped on. I’m level 14, world tier 6 and probably 80-90% to world tier 7. I then died 3 times in a tough side mission and it knocked the progression down to around 50-60%!  

17 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You're still basically playing the demo... Skillz (:p) definitely come into play more as the game progresses and as you unlock more mods and armor that compliments and enhances the skills. Also how you use your skills changes based on whether or not you're playing solo or alone. You've still got a ways togo... I don't know if you'll end up liking the game more, but there's far more to it than what you've experienced in just getting to level 6. I got to level 7 with all for classes when the demo was out :p

The game goes from good to awesome once you can start crafting, modding and variant swap your guns and armoe. I made a single shot epic Rifle that not only causes a fusion explosion on impact but shoots down lighting on the enemy as well. It's pretty cray how you can swap the mods on your guns and get different effects. I'm level 21 WT9 and do about 2150 damage with a single headshot :lol: Takes out the fodder minions with 1 shot.

12 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

What part of the game are you at? And what World Tier?

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You're in a low world tier I bet. You probably don't have the game set to automatically put you in the highest available World Tier for your level. This game is definitely not easy if you're playing in the most available world tier.

I just accessed the lift at Eagle Peaks. I haven't messed with world tier, so I guess I'm playing at whatever default the game has it set as. :doh:

26 minutes ago, nublood said:

I just accessed the lift at Eagle Peaks. I haven't messed with world tier, so I guess I'm playing at whatever default the game has it set as. :doh:

Eagle Peaks is where the game starts to open up and you face bigger enemies. Definitely get to WT6 or above for the best challenge.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Ya chances are you are whatever world tier you've earned this far as it defaults by putting you at your max World Tier.

Does it? I could swear you had to check a box for the game to put you in the highest available world tier.

EDIT: Yeah you have to tell the game to put you in the highest available World Tier. I remember we had to do that in the demo.

Outriders_BC4_4.png
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Change the difficulty setting, get better loot

Hovering over each World Tier tile will pop up information about that World Tier’s effects.

There’s also a setting in the World Tier menu to automatically set the World Tier to the highest available — which is usually the best idea.

This menu is also where you’ll pick up rewards for unlocking new World Tiers. Hover over the chest at the bottom of the World Tier tile to claim it.

1 hour ago, nublood said:

I'm thinking I've been playing at WT1 this whole friggin time :|

You may very well be if you didn't set the game to automatically put you in the highest world tier available. You also get loot for every World Tier that you unlock so you probably have a couple of drops to collect too... check your world tier menu.