Outriders (People Can Fly co-op RPG shooter) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Also, did we play the same Bulletstorm? I haven't played it in years, but I recall really enjoying it and the idea of being a Gears knockoff seems bizarre, since it's a first-person shooter where you air-juggle enemies. Which is like... not Gears at all?

Which is why I said "it was dismissed as a Gears knock off" meaning it was dismessed by folks who never bothered to play it. I played the game... in fact I own it. I myself never dismissed it as a Gears knock off, I just remember that being the word on it when it came out which led to a lot of folks never playing it but assuming they knew what the game was.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Core mechanics seem fairly solid, if nothing amazing. Not a fan of cover shooting as I think it's a mechanic built around inaction rather than action, but the abilities help negate that somewhat.

That said, game's kind of rough around some edges. So far nothing gameplay-wise is rough, which is great. But... Like why are the cutscenes locked to 30? Going from 120 FPS to 30 FPS (and cutscenes have shaky cam + extreme motion blur) is extremely jarring and weird, made almost nauseating at certain moments when the shaky cam and motion blur combine to make it feel like you just got a concussion while on a rollercoaster.

Why do all the cutscenes fade out? And they fade out too early, so characters will be mid-word and the audio and visuals will already be at half volume and it feels very amateur in that regard.

I know people were comparing it to Mass Effect and stuff, but so far my impression has been Gears of Anthem, but a more finished product than Anthem? For me it's going to depend on how much the combat allows me to play it like a video game rather than a... cover shooter. If I can really get in there and fuck shit up without playing hide-and-seek/pop-goes-the-weasel then I think we're in business for at least some decent playtime. But frankly it just makes me miss the badass combat of Anthem. For all the shit Anthem got terribly, terribly wrong (if it even attempted at all) it nailed the combat.

I'm not sure how I feel about being locked in to a class you've never played. I get you can just skip the prologue and make another character, but I would've loved a little test area where I got to use my full arsenal for each class for a while. Do you get new abilities? Can you swap them? I always get way more playtime out of any game where I'm not locked into a small set of abilities.

Also, did we play the same Bulletstorm? I haven't played it in years, but I recall really enjoying it and the idea of being a Gears knockoff seems bizarre, since it's a first-person shooter where you air-juggle enemies. Which is like... not Gears at all?

Not sure how much time you put into it, but just rolling over the Skills Tab, will show there were like 7 or 8 skills I believe, which you can have any 3 active at any time.  I think the Demo stops you at Lvl 7, so you can unlock 4 per class to mess around with right now.

And the game basically forces you to fight and be aggressive, as the healing mechanic in the game is entirely centered on Leech.  If you aren't aggressive, you won't heal.   Each class's Leeching properties are different.

Tank - You get better leech from close quarters kills.

Trickster - You get better leach and shield from close quarters kills.

Pyro - You get better leech from flame kills.

Range  - You leech all damage you do as health.

The Trickster and Tank you basically need to play as up close in your face assault type classes.  If you don't you won't be healing yourself much taking pot shots from afar.  Both have abilities than can get you into the fray very quickly to unleash chaos. 

I've played up to Lvl 5 as 3 of the 4 characters so far, and been loving it.  The weapons and armor pieces actually have fun and extremely useful modifiers on them as well.  Something that is very welcome after playing a few Looters which had relatively boring loot.  Like getting a piece of armor that gives you 2 charges with your LB skill can feel like a game changer already.  

The combat is fast and fluid, which makes it feel more fun to me than a Gears, which is much slower and methodical.  This game rewards quick aggressive movement, and I dig that.  Some of the "Captain" enemies also offer a fun challenge as well.  Can't wait to see where the game goes in terms of difficulty.  If there are multiple Captains to fight along with adds, things will be hectic and fun as hell.

Yeah I assume the audio will be cleaned up. It’s a half second off in my cut scenes. 

The loot really is very good so far. It looks cool and it has pretty cool modifiers even at some of the lower levels. I can’t wait to eventually see what the legendary gear does. I feel like that’s when you’ll see modifiers completely change the penal flow. 

Ive been playing the Technomancer so far and really enjoy it. It’s skills so far are a proximity mine that you toss forward, a turret that does a small amount of damage and can freeze enemies. You can throw that forward as well. And a a mini rocket launcher you place next you you that shoots an ever growing arc of missles forward. The melee attack is a freeze punch that actually has a small AOE. It is the PERFECT little skill for a ranged class as it enables you to get back away from the fight. 

Id say even as a ranged class I’ve done a mix of sniping from cover and firing on the move. The enemies will try and flank you and a few actually dodge to the right and left when running right at you. I’ve been forced off my spot a number of times. Cover feels more as a rest than a necessity. 

I LOVE the healing mechanic. I’ve been so close to death a number of times only to have the cool down on my Rocket launcher finish enabling me to pop it and almost fill me health all the way back up. There’s a lot of “phew that was close” moments. 

Can’t wait to be able to dig even further into these skills and abilities. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I got to lvl 7 as a Trickster. Next im going to try Pyromancer. Im least interested in the Tank class, but I haven't tried it yet. 

Played 3 Player wirh some randoms, had a blast. On environmental level 3, the game is pretty tough on multiplayer.

Loving it so far. 

Do the enemy number and difficulty scale up with the number of party members?

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Do the enemy number and difficulty scale up with the number of party members?

Yes. But it depends on the member with the lowest environmental level. Im at 5. You can set it to any level you unlocked, but in party, its the lowest score of a member.

Lvl 15 is max, but I think it'll be a long road to get that high. 5-6 is much, much slower than 4-5.

I’ve been on a break from gaming (except a few Warzone matches with the boys) and I’m not sure where - maybe an Instagram article or ad popped up for this game’s demo. I never heard of it before..but thought the few pics looked cool. 

im pleasantly surprised by it. I’m actually hooked on the demo. It’s Gears meets Anthem meets Destiny with a touch of Mass Effect. All games I loved. 

I will definitely be picking this up. 

16 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I’ve been on a break from gaming (except a few Warzone matches with the boys) and I’m not sure where - maybe an Instagram article or ad popped up for this game’s demo. I never heard of it before..but thought the few pics looked cool. 

im pleasantly surprised by it. I’m actually hooked on the demo. It’s Gears meets Anthem meets Destiny with a touch of Mass Effect. All games I loved. 

I will definitely be picking this up. 

After Anthem I’m kinda worried about another co-op flying around combat type game. This game gives off a short lived type vibe. 

25 minutes ago, Biggie said:

After Anthem I’m kinda worried about another co-op flying around combat type game. This game gives off a short lived type vibe. 

I’ve said this a few times - it’s disappointing what happened with the Anthem endgame, but the campaign was a blast and I still got around 60-70hrs out of the game total. I don’t feel slighted in the least....but it would be nice if Outriders has  some legs. 

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

I’ve said this a few times - it’s disappointing what happened with the Anthem endgame, but the campaign was a blast and I still got around 60-70hrs out of the game total. I don’t feel slighted in the least....but it would be nice if Outriders has  some legs. 

I mean, Anthem is GaaS, this isn’t. So its not really a comparison, it's a feature complete coop game. 

Played some coop with a friend the other night and played through the chapter and a few sidequests. We really enjoyed what we played. Once we figured out how to use our abilites effectively, we reached some points where we were tearing through groups of enemies like it was nothing. The synergy between the classes that we played wasn't apparent at first, but we were getting the hang of it.

For example, I was the Pyromancer and my friend was the Trickster (I think). We figured out a fun technique where he would pull in a group of enemies (especially the ones that bum rush you) and launch his "stasis dome" which would slow them all down, then I would hit them with my fire ability that causes the enemy to explode when they die. It would take out the entire group in slow motion gory detail. We liked it.

I do have some concerns. I was trying to play it alone and I was getting my ass delivered to me on a platter. Repeatedly. I hope the game isn't one of those that has to be played co-op. Also the rock-paper-scissors thing with the bosses is cool, but kinda vague in how it works. That guy with the fire tornadoes was making quick work of us until I went into my skills and figured out which of my skills "canceled" his. 

That said, I'm done with the demo. I played enough to know I will buy it, and I don't want to burn myself out on that starting area.

24 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Played some coop with a friend the other night and played through the chapter and a few sidequests. We really enjoyed what we played. Once we figured out how to use our abilites effectively, we reached some points where we were tearing through groups of enemies like it was nothing. The synergy between the classes that we played wasn't apparent at first, but we were getting the hang of it.

For example, I was the Pyromancer and my friend was the Trickster (I think). We figured out a fun technique where he would pull in a group of enemies (especially the ones that bum rush you) and launch his "stasis dome" which would slow them all down, then I would hit them with my fire ability that causes the enemy to explode when they die. It would take out the entire group in slow motion gory detail. We liked it.

I do have some concerns. I was trying to play it alone and I was getting my ass delivered to me on a platter. Repeatedly. I hope the game isn't one of those that has to be played co-op. Also the rock-paper-scissors thing with the bosses is cool, but kinda vague in how it works. That guy with the fire tornadoes was making quick work of us until I went into my skills and figured out which of my skills "canceled" his. 

That said, I'm done with the demo. I played enough to know I will buy it, and I don't want to burn myself out on that starting area.

The only class I’ve put a bunch of time in is Technomancer and I got through it solo no problem. I think I died 4 or 5 total times. First run through there were def times I had to retreat and hide for a bit. But it never felt like it wasn’t possible. The latest run on Tier 5 at level 7 I absolutely shredded through the whole level with no issue. 

Obviously some classes will be tougher but I don’t see this game being impossible to solo. 

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, Anthem is GaaS, this isn’t. So its not really a comparison, it's a feature complete coop game. 

So you’re saying this is maybe more of a borderlands style game? 

I got the impression that with crafting, banners, emotes, integrated LFP it was going to have an endgame with a grind and potential world events (like that big roaming monster). Is this not the case?

15 minutes ago, atom631 said:

So you’re saying this is maybe more of a borderlands style game? 

I got the impression that with crafting, banners, emotes, integrated LFP it was going to have an endgame with a grind and potential world events (like that big roaming monster). Is this not the case?

It has some End Game stuff planned that only unlock when you beat Campaign I believe or hit Max Level.  I've avoided a lot of videos, but I know they have "Excursion" which I believe are End Game missions, like Monster Hunts, and other things.   It seems like it'll be set up to continually get your gear better to better tackle the World Tiers til you can run Tier 15.

It's just not really promising that there will be continuing content regularly coming out or Seasons. Maybe a few sizable paid DLC's or something.

5 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I've played through three of the four classes and maxed the demo level on all three. I co-oped the trickster but soloed the pyro and technomancer. You can definitely solo with all of the classes if you want, some are easier than others but all are soloable. Also EVERY class has an interrupt skill that cancels a bosses special move, but the bosses develop a resistance to these skills at some point which is timed. There's a whole page that explains how this works.

The gameplay is VERY well balanced and thought out. Also the game throws less enemies at you if you're playing solo. @JPDunks4 and I played the other night and they definitely throw more enemies at you if you're in a group. Need to try the Tank class next, but I think Technomancer is my fav so far.

10 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

The only class I’ve put a bunch of time in is Technomancer and I got through it solo no problem. I think I died 4 or 5 total times. First run through there were def times I had to retreat and hide for a bit. But it never felt like it wasn’t possible. The latest run on Tier 5 at level 7 I absolutely shredded through the whole level with no issue. 

Obviously some classes will be tougher but I don’t see this game being impossible to solo. 

Ya, I play Trickster mostly. My world rank is maxed at 5, the demo limit, and I can walk through all those areas quite easily. Assault rifle with the charged bullets and the time slow bubble can completely change the tide of battle. And my Sniper Rifle is deadly, a bit OP imo. Everyone except max lvl elites with powers melt to my gun fire. And her healing abilities make her a tank. Constantly leaching off of gun damage gives you the ability to play aggressively. The whip is badass too, works through walls, kills everyone but elites, and interrupts their casting. 

I Didn't enjoy pyromancer that much. Technomancer is fun, and I like the tank, but imma definitely roll with a trickster as my main.

The game is starting to click with me a little, but I feel like it has taken too long, and I’m not sure how good this game will grow to be in the final release. 

Story and world building feel like they were an afterthought. Like they designed all the combat encounters and then later tried to think or a narrative they could slap in there to fill in the gaps. The pacing and janky nature of how the game transitioned from cutscene to cutscene, and cutscene to gameplay has been really off putting. It was like they just made things, but didn’t plan/direct how they would fit together and just put them in when done. 

combat wise I’m not sure I’m enjoying the encounter designs. Every encounter feels too much of the same just because each combat area is a small linear “hallway” with chest high walls. I feel more boxed in than Warframe, Anthem, Destiny, Division, or Borderlands 3. And the encounters feel very designed around using your abilities to heal. Like if you’re not spamming your abilities you’re going to have a harder time. Bosses all get to spawn giant spells that chase you around the combat area while they shoot at you. 

The combat didn’t even begin to resemble fun until I had three abilities (making it easier to spam), and an assault rifle that Leaches when it does damage. Now I also have armor that gives me a second fire wave charge. Finally I’m feeling less overwhelmed. 

Maybe the pyro isn’t the class for me. Though it sounded like it would be, as for games like this I usually try to keep to the mid-range. And this seemed like the only mid-range class of the four. Maybe this is the class for me and it will be one of those things where it will grow on me more and more, instead of being something I love using right out of the gate. 

23 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The game is starting to click with me a little, but I feel like it has taken too long, and I’m not sure how good this game will grow to be in the final release. 

Story and world building feel like they were an afterthought. Like they designed all the combat encounters and then later tried to think or a narrative they could slap in there to fill in the gaps. The pacing and janky nature of how the game transitioned from cutscene to cutscene, and cutscene to gameplay has been really off putting. It was like they just made things, but didn’t plan/direct how they would fit together and just put them in when done. 

combat wise I’m not sure I’m enjoying the encounter designs. Every encounter feels too much of the same just because each combat area is a small linear “hallway” with chest high walls. I feel more boxed in than Warframe, Anthem, Destiny, Division, or Borderlands 3. And the encounters feel very designed around using your abilities to heal. Like if you’re not spamming your abilities you’re going to have a harder time. Bosses all get to spawn giant spells that chase you around the combat area while they shoot at you. 

The combat didn’t even begin to resemble fun until I had three abilities (making it easier to spam), and an assault rifle that Leaches when it does damage. Now I also have armor that gives me a second fire wave charge. Finally I’m feeling less overwhelmed. 

Maybe the pyro isn’t the class for me. Though it sounded like it would be, as for games like this I usually try to keep to the mid-range. And this seemed like the only mid-range class of the four. Maybe this is the class for me and it will be one of those things where it will grow on me more and more, instead of being something I love using right out of the gate. 

I really didn't enjoy Pyro playing alone. Its definitely the least survivable class playing solo. Of course, we only used 3 abilities, so that could change.

I played pyro solo through the whole thing and thought it was fine. There was one area where I had to drop to world tier 3 but this bc for some reason all my guns that weren’t equipped disappeared from my inventory. So I only had an AR and a shotgun. If I had snipes I would’ve been fine. 

I solo'd the demo with all four classes and maxed out each one. The game is perfectly soloable with each class, you just have to play in a way that suits your playstyle and whatever suits the class you're playing as. The class design is very flexible with mods and equipment and you should never feel trapped or hampered by a particular class. They've done a VERY good job at balancing out these classes.

Had some more time to play and unlock some more abilities, still pretty early on. Playing a Trickster as well, and it's pretty fun. Much like Anthem, 90% of the fun is blasting shit with your superpowers while, at least early on, using these regular ass guns is kind of a bummer. The shooting isn't terrible or anything, but I think in a game where you have powers, FOCUS ON THE POWERS. Only dumbasses sat around firing their pea shooters in Anthem because the abilities were 10x as fun and 10x as effective. As a matter of fact, I think having regular guns in Anthem contributed hugely to people thinking the gameplay was bad instead of fucking awesome, just sitting there plinking away and wasting their time. 

So far, I feel similar here. Not quite as hyped about the abilities because I don't appreciate being locked on the ground, but they're still soooooo much more fun than shooting yet another regular ass gun near waist high cover. In fact, I'm not even sure why the cover is there. At least up until now the most effective and fun way to play is to manage your abilities to deal devastating damage while healing via leech. It honestly seems like these games are terrified to do combat like this without the comfortable addition of regular modern day guns despite being centuries in the future and basically having magic. 

Let me put this another way: Diablo has a regular attack that just swings your weapon, and you do use it quite a bit, but the bread and butter of the combat is unleashing unholy hell with all your abilities and their synergies, not swinging your weapon for 10 seconds until something cool comes off cooldown. 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:13 AM, BloodyHell said:

I really didn't enjoy Pyro playing alone. Its definitely the least survivable class playing solo. Of course, we only used 3 abilities, so that could change.

I tried the Trickster and it was more fun and felt more powerful against the more basic enemies. But bosses still suck. 

at least in the early game, from a combat stand point I think where this game suffers is there doesn’t feel to be anything it does that feels exceptional. Anthem had flight/movement and powers that were fun to use. Destiny has gunplay that feels really fun and solid, with Supers that can clear a room and change the tide of battle. 

Outriders just feels “ok”. I want to like it more than I currently do, and I can see a glimmer of signs that character progression and loot could really make this feel good. But the game’s opening is rough.

Probably the roughest opening of any looter I’ve played. If the presentation, story, world building, level design, were better it would hook you in until the loot and character progression caught up. But in all those aforementioned  mentioned areas this game feels like it would be more at home in 2008 than it does in 2021. 

Day 1 on Game Pass for Console and Streaming

OutridersGamePass_1920x1080.jpg?fit=1920
NEWS.XBOX.COM

We all got a taste of Outriders with the recent demo, so I’m thrilled to announce that Outriders will be available on Console and Android phones and tablets via Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) with Xbox Game Pass on day one! Starting April 1 (not an April Fool’s joke, I assure you), Xbox Game Pass for […]

• Shocked 2