Outriders (People Can Fly co-op RPG shooter) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

I pre loaded the game on Series X last weekend, so I was able to play 45 minutes or so last night before going to bed. I carried over my demo character and as such hit world tier 6 almost immediately and hit level 8 soon after. Looking forward to putting in more time tonight.

Reminder, there's some new options in the menus.  There's a cinematics FPS option, and it defaults to 30, so you'll want to bump that to 60 at least, and under Gameplay there's a "Cinematic Camera Smoothing" option, which apparently you can adjust the camera bump that some people hate.  I'm shrug about it, I'll probably leave it at default for now.

Had quite a few issues getting on at first, but after 10pm EST got on without issue. I know because I kept getting dashboarded, frozen or disconnected regularly, LOL.

Game is a blast especially with friends, hope they can squash some of these issues quickly though.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Outriders (People Can Fly co-op RPG shooter) - Information Thread

I thought this was a weird bug at the beginning of the game. Your character is shrouded in shadow, even in sunlight while the other characters are illuminated and even have partial shadows cast on them

spacer.png

Also annoying is if you leave the game idle, like an EA sports game the game will log you out and you have to reauthenicate/log in and the save points aren't very generous so I had to do the beginning part again.

I'm torn on if I wish the game paused while in a menu, like some people want.  I'd like the ability to pause if real life interrupts, but I can see not letting you constantly switch weapons like Borderlands lets you.  But I also miss that.  If I get a new weapon and I try it and and decide I don't like it, I either have to live with it until I clear the area or risk popping into the inventory to switch weapons.

A few good tidbits.  Also, don't forget to go into your options and turn the auto loot option in the Gameplay section down to common, so it'll grab all the drops.  Early on, you'll still want greys just for materials or money.  I'm sure down the road, you might want to turn it up if you don't want to pick up greys or greens.

I’m having a blast with this game. I’m currently level 14, world tier 6. I just got to 

Spoiler

Deadlock Pass

im playing as a pyro and I am lighting everyone up. LMG/Sniper is working great.  

my only complains are that the class tree is huge and leveling has really slowed down.  Im not sure how far I am into the game but I really don’t see how you’ll unlock even half the tree. Also - In the beginning the world tiers leveled up pretty quick but I’ve been stuck on 6 for a while and I’m still only about 1/2way to 7. 

playing solo hasn’t been bad, but I’m sure playing with a group would be super fun. If anyone is around my level, let me know! 

8 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I’m having a blast with this game. I’m currently level 14, world tier 6. I just got to 

Reveal hidden contents

im playing as a pyro and I am lighting everyone up. LMG/Sniper is working great.  

my only complains are that the class tree is huge and leveling has really slowed down.  Im not sure how far I am into the game but I really don’t see how you’ll unlock even half the tree. Also - In the beginning the world tiers leveled up pretty quick but I’ve been stuck on 6 for a while and I’m still only about 1/2way to 7. 

playing solo hasn’t been bad, but I’m sure playing with a group would be super fun. If anyone is around my level, let me know! 

They made it so you basically need to choose one skill tree and make tough choices, it won't be one of those games where you are maxing everything.  I prefer it that way, I love being forced to make tough choices on builds, and its Free to respec to you can still mess around with lots of variations.

The way the Tiers Work is, if you die, the bar drops.  It's a way to regulate difficulty.  If you are dying a lot, they figure you aren't ready for the next world tier so you lose XP on that bar.  You will still collect Character XP to level up, to hopefully better equip you so you die less and can get the bar filled.  I am World Tier 7 I think with my lvl 14 Devastator.  I died a bunch on World Tier 6, but my build got a lot better with some Perks and haven't died in Tier 7 at all.

I am also loving the game.  Playing Co-op literally throws 3 times more enemies at you to increase difficulty.  It's not like most games where enemies just get spongier and do more damage to you.  From what I can tell, the enemy damage and health is the same, just literally like 3 time more of them which makes it quite crazy at times.

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

They made it so you basically need to choose one skill tree and make tough choices, it won't be one of those games where you are maxing everything.  I prefer it that way, I love being forced to make tough choices on builds, and its Free to respec to you can still mess around with lots of variations.

The way the Tiers Work is, if you die, the bar drops.  It's a way to regulate difficulty.  If you are dying a lot, they figure you aren't ready for the next world tier so you lose XP on that bar.  You will still collect Character XP to level up, to hopefully better equip you so you die less and can get the bar filled.  I am World Tier 7 I think with my lvl 14 Devastator.  I died a bunch on World Tier 6, but my build got a lot better with some Perks and haven't died in Tier 7 at all.

I am also loving the game.  Playing Co-op literally throws 3 times more enemies at you to increase difficulty.  It's not like most games where enemies just get spongier and do more damage to you.  From what I can tell, the enemy damage and health is the same, just literally like 3 time more of them which makes it quite crazy at times.

Weird. I don’t think I’ve died more than 3-4 times post-demo content. 

could damage output also have something to do with it? 

53 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Weird. I don’t think I’ve died more than 3-4 times post-demo content. 

could damage output also have something to do with it? 

Don't believe so, possibly the faster you kill stuff the faster it levels.  But I do know dying is one of the bigger factors in slowing down leveling of the World Tiers.

I hit Tier 7 I believe during the Snow Area.

Oh yeah, and I also assume you're doing all side missions as well right?

10 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

They definitely get spongier.

38 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Are you sure that's not just World Tier's going up?  I haven't noticed them feeling very spongey other than when we go up a Tier.  I've played a decent combination of Solo, Duo, and Trio's and haven't noticed much difference yet.  I am relatively early on though with my highest Character being Lvl 14's.

I guess Captains and some of the Elites maybe since there's double the firepower going at them.  They may have more health, but they definitely lean on numbers more than simply Health and Damage boosts.

4 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

If you're not managing your build they definitely do... has more to do with your weapons and level than them adding health. They add more enemies when you;'re playing with more people. 

I love the way health is handled in this game. Can't count how many times I've been at death's door only to have any enemy die and grant me huge health regen boost.

This is really an odd duck of a game. It feels like a B-game through and through, something that @Phaseknox would throw on a GOTY list.

I think the story is mildly interesting but the voice acting, writing and even cut-scene direction range from below average to bizarre. I've only beaten the boss so far but I hope some things open up later. Like do you ever get shaders for your armor like in Destiny?

It would have been nice if the journals were voiced because when you pick up a journal you have to go into this really slow menu and read the text, rather than hearing it be read and going on about your journey. And the text is so minuscule. There is an option for larger text but it's like the equivalent of going from size 8 font to size 9.

I don't think the gunplay is particularly good. The guns don't really feel good to shoot and they have very little recoil so you could just aim and then hands off pull the trigger to kill the braindead AI. The enemies are so stupid they'll jump over the cover while you are shooting at them and also follow pretty predictable patterns that you can just hang  back at the beginning of the area and they'll trickle down towards you. Also annoying when you take damage there is no sound, your screen just gets redder.

What I do like are the abilities. I'm a trickster and I chose it because the shooting is kind of not fun and it's pretty awesome zooming up behind a sniper, putting down a bullet time bullet and unloading a shotgun into them. I like the "melee" attack, it's a slash but it's kind of awkward. Also, the cooldowns are so long, the game really needs shorter cooldowns, there's no reason to have them be so long (like the slash is 19 seconds). It's not like they need to balance the game for PVP.

All that being said I'll probably keep playing it for the time being.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is really an odd duck of a game. It feels like a B-game through and through, something that @Phaseknox would throw on a GOTY list.

I think the story is mildly interesting but the voice acting, writing and even cut-scene direction range from below average to bizarre. I've only beaten the boss so far but I hope some things open up later. Like do you ever get shaders for your armor like in Destiny?

It would have been nice if the journals were voiced because when you pick up a journal you have to go into this really slow menu and read the text, rather than hearing it be read and going on about your journey. And the text is so minuscule. There is an option for larger text but it's like the equivalent of going from size 8 font to size 9.

I don't think the gunplay is particularly good. The guns don't really feel good to shoot and they have very little recoil so you could just aim and then hands off pull the trigger to kill the braindead AI. The enemies are so stupid they'll jump over the cover while you are shooting at them and also follow pretty predictable patterns that you can just hang  back at the beginning of the area and they'll trickle down towards you. Also annoying when you take damage there is no sound, your screen just gets redder.

What I do like are the abilities. I'm a trickster and I chose it because the shooting is kind of not fun and it's pretty awesome zooming up behind a sniper, putting down a bullet time bullet and unloading a shotgun into them. I like the "melee" attack, it's a slash but it's kind of awkward. Also, the cooldowns are so long, the game really needs shorter cooldowns, there's no reason to have them be so long (like the slash is 19 seconds). It's not like they need to balance the game for PVP.

All that being said I'll probably keep playing it for the time being.

I haven’t played the demo or game. But from what I’ve watched on streams it seems like a cross between Destiny, Gears, and the Division. 

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's pretty much what it is. I don't know what game Keyser is playing though... I'd also add a little Mass Effect in there too. 

Gears, Destiny and Mass Effect sum it up for me. So far I'm liking this game far much more than I thought I would. The game opens up once you get past The Rift area. I'm playing Technomancer and I think that is probably the easiest class to play. They can do it all but I'm enjoying playing this games co op and hoping that they keep adding content to the game.