Outriders (People Can Fly co-op RPG shooter) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

I've been loving my Devastator so far in my solo run.  Just hit Lvl 17, Tier 8.4. 

I've played most every Looter that releases, and this one has made so many smart decisions on key things, its really itching that scratch for this genre.  I also feel it plays like a faster Remnant, which I also loved. 

2 hours ago, The def star said:

Gears, Destiny and Mass Effect sum it up for me. So far I'm liking this game far much more than I thought I would. The game opens up once you get past The Rift area. I'm playing Technomancer and I think that is probably the easiest class to play. They can do it all but I'm enjoying playing this games co op and hoping that they keep adding content to the game.

I'm really digging Technomancer... most fun class by far. I've been pretty much playing as ALL the classes simultaneously. Gonna use Pyro and Techno for squad runs and Trickster and Devastator for solo runs.

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's pretty much what it is. I don't know what game Keyser is playing though... I'd also add a little Mass Effect in there too. 

Don’t mind him. I’m sure if there was huge bouncy breasts, underage school girls and a K-Pop soundtrack he’d be super into it. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Don’t mind him. I’m sure if there was huge bouncy breasts, underage school girls and a K-Pop soundtrack he’d be super into it. 

Good one breh! Notice that I never said I didn't like it. It's ok to be critical of a game's flaws and still try to enjoy the game. :peace:

26 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Good one breh! Notice that I never said I didn't like it. It's ok to be critical of a game's flaws and still try to enjoy the game. :peace:

True... as long as the criticisms are accurate. Yours seens either way off or that you played the game for like five minutes and ran here to post. The gunplay comment seemed way off as did the enemy A.I.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

True... as long as the criticisms are accurate. Yours seens either way off or that you played the game for like five minutes and ran here to post. The gunplay comment seemed way off as did the enemy A.I.

I've played for several hours. Like I said I beat the first boss (right before you meet Seth) maybe you don't agree with the gunplay but I'll sand by my AI comment.

Trick to pause the game if you have to get away IRL.  This is for nVidia PCs only.

rosstrhiwcl8hzrej2b7.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Outriders is an always-online game that you can play entirely solo. Normally, you can’t pause it even when alone. But a clever PC player figured out a way to pause the game using their Nvidia GPU.

TLDR; using the Ansel feature of the drivers, hit Alt+F2 to enter it and it'll pause the game.

It's funny because every time I hear a Youtuber/Reviewer talk about it, they're ripping it apart. Not just the connectivity issues, but the level design, story, voice acting, etc. For some reason there's a "cool" factor to hating on it.

To be fair, I don't think the game was ever "meant" to be this huge, because it's very much a B-tier shooter, but with The Avengers stinking it up so badly and people just being hungry for something new in the co-op shooter space (plus a good 15 million people being able to give it a try on Gamepass). But it's really interesting to see the "hate" on the game, while at the same time being insanely popular. Whether the game has any staying power remains to be seen, but again, it's not a GaaS/MMO so "staying power" isn't really that important. The game doesn't NEED to have a huge number of players. As long as you've got a friend or two, you're good.

I'll admit the game isn't amazing, but it's still pretty damn fun. It's like people forgot what a B-tier shooter is supposed to be, they've all been brainwashed by the GaaS/MMO mentality they can't handle a game that isn't trying to be the next big time/money sucker.

13 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

To be fair, I don't think the game was ever "meant" to be this huge, because it's very much a B-tier shooter, but with The Avengers stinking it up so badly and people just being hungry for something new in the co-op shooter space (plus a good 15 million people being able to give it a try on Gamepass).

I think it's funny that both the Avengers and this game both released by SE and this one is doing a lot better. :p

Who is hating on it, I feel like I've seen basically universal praise for it by everyone thats played it.  

I think it's one of the best looters I've played in a long time.  It has its AA issues that you can tell is probably due to financial limitations, and them being a relatively small developer.

But the core gameplay elements and systems are all leagues better than most other looters I've played recently.

My solo run I'm Lvl 19.7, and just hit Tier 9.  The gameplay is a ton of fun and I feel like they really nailed the difficulty curve with the Tier system.  I hate dying because I am just trying to get my Tier up as a personal challenge.

I hope it gets a lot of post game support, and possibly a bigger more polished sequel cause they nailed so much with this first entry.

Game Information

Game Title: Outriders

Platforms:

• PC (Apr 1, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Apr 1, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Apr 1, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Apr 1, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Apr 1, 2021)

Developer: People Can Fly

Publisher: Square Enix

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 76 average - 60% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digital Chumps - 9 / 10

Enoch and the atmosphere there is this creepy, crawly, gross feeling place, but it keeps you coming back to battle forward.

Forbes - 9 / 10

Outriders has surpassed my expectations in almost every way. Months ago, I figured this would be another looter flop, but now, it’s one of the best current entries in the genre, and even with no “live service roadmap” at hand, it’s clear you could potentially extract hundreds of hours from it regardless. I plan to do just that.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

Taking to combat and combo-ing skills with other players is immensely satisfying and make each run-in with enemies feel exhilarating rather than a chore

Use a Potion - 9 / 10

Outriders is an absolute blast to play, with it easily standing out as my favourite game of 2021 so far. I won’t deny that it has some issues (the early server problems being the most obvious), but they’re easy to look past when the combat mechanics are so varied and fun, building your character and unlocking new loot is satisfying, and sharing the experience with friends brings with it a rewarding sense of strategy. It’s brilliant.

It doesn’t re-invent the looter-shooter genre in any way and there won’t be anything on offer that you wouldn’t have seen done before, but it doesn’t matter – especially since all of the things it offers are of a high quality. Everything Outriders does is done well and it makes for a super fun experience because of it. There might be a few teething issues right now, but I’m excited to spend more hours with my friends taking down the baddies that are roaming across our new home of Enoch…

Gamefa - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Outriders got the best elements of looter-shooters and mixed those with RPG elements, then promoted the mixture as much as possible. The gameplay is incredibly entertaining thanks to its attractive mechanics, solid shooting system, fun looting and well-implemented classes with various powers. Also the story of Outriders alongside its rich lore, give you more reasons to deep dive in the game's world and have fun for many hours. Solo or Co-op, don't miss the Outriders.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 85 / 100

Either solo or multiplayer, Outriders is a fun, fast paced shooter, full of great moments. People Can Fly delivers great combat mechanics and RPG elements, but we have the feeling we´ve seen most elements in other games. We love that Outriders is not designed as "game as a service".

PlayStation Universe - 8.5 / 10

Outriders is an excellent video game that doesn't drown itself in marketplaces and all the traditional systems we have come to know from a live service. By positioning itself as a complete experience, with dozens of hours of content to play through, along with engaging, varied, and deep combat, it exceeds expectations and manages to lay a firm foundation for a franchise that I hope manifests itself in the future.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

Outriders combines immense variety, aggressively geared combat and fun abilities to offer a third person shooter like no other. It's filled to the brim quality content – bringing a stellar campaign that's constantly throwing new things at the player and a compelling well-designed post-game experience in Expeditions. Teething issues with online aside, Outriders is poised to be one of the biggest surprises of the year, and you should definitely give it a go.

XboxEra - 8.5 / 10

Never before has there been such a marriage of great gameplay and truly terrible dialogue. Despite the latter Outriders is a blast to play and a no-brainer on Xbox Game Pass.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Giving Outriders a score is a tougher challenge than I thought. The core gameplay loop is fun, incredibly so when it clicks, the loot system is well thought out and wielding the powers of the Anomaly is power-tripping. But the game is also a slow burner, enemy variety is disappointingly poor, there is no scaling of content for party members of lower levels, and audio and animations aren't always that great. But the core is good, and we have faith that People Can Fly will polish those rough edges.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

People Can Fly's Outriders mixes a lot of well-worn shooter and RPG elements to create something that feels fresh, if you can get used to its balance.

Gamers Heroes - 80 / 100

You will struggle to find another third-person shooter that has innovated as much on the formula as Outriders, not since Gears of War took the genre to new heights. The combat is absolutely incredible, the classes ooze with potential and development, the world is gritty and engaging, and the ability to enjoy all of this alongside good friends just heightens the entire experience.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Outriders actively props up its own strengths and encourages you to employ them, organically allowing you to experience its full potential and mostly outweighing a disjointed story.

Guardian - 4 / 5 stars

Capturing exactly what makes the genre tick, this is perhaps the best looter-shooter game since Borderlands

IGN Italy - Italian - 8 / 10

Outriders is a looter shooter that offers many hours of fun to players, despite some structural problems such as the absence of heterogeneity in the missions. The strong point, however, is fast-paced and explosive gameplay that is well supported by interesting RPG mechanics.

Luis Alamilla - 8 / 10

Outriders on paper is probably not the game you'd expect me to like so much. Looter shooters are cool but I'm usually in and out as soon as I've played enough for review. Outriders is different though. Its juxtaposition between different gameplay designs, occasional funny writing, and just good feeling combat hooked me on its campaign. The different branching classes that play differently from another further incentivize me to replay after I was done to truly experience everything Outriders has to offer. Sure there are a few bugs here and there, the story can dip a few times and if you're on last-gen consoles outside of the One X, probably don't want to play this. However, if you're on the fence about this, I say give it a shot, play the demo or get it through gamepass because this feels like the next discord squad game I'll be playing for a while.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

A surprising, old school looter propped up by a contained sci-fi campaign, ferocious combat, and a modding system that encourages endless creativity.

Pure Xbox - 8 / 10

Outriders really has taken us completely by surprise. This is a game that gets off to a pretty bad start but, once the combat kicks off properly, quickly reveals itself to be one of the slickest and most addictive looter shooters we've played in a long while. Launch weekend has been a mess of server issues, for sure, but stick with what People Can Fly has dished up here and you'll find yourself handsomely rewarded. This one comes highly recommended.

Rapid Reviews UK - 4 / 5 stars

In a world where live-service games are becoming all the rage, Outriders feels like a much-needed breath of fresh air. Even more interesting is the fact it arrives in the form of a looter-shooter, not too dissimilar from other games of its genre. But where the likes of Destiny and The Division pride themselves on being an ongoing gig, Outriders sets itself apart as a fairly linear third-person looter shooter with everything available at launch. So for the most part, what you see is what you get, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Outriders has set out to be something different in a genre that is becoming increasingly popular, but does it succeed? Absolutely.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

For its weird flaws, bugs, always online issues, obnoxious use of cutscenes, and b-movie attitude, Outriders is still mostly what I wanted it to be in execution and I think it's built for a wealth of future content and improvements that mean it's just going to get better from here. Whether I jump into the game on my solo character or team up with my friends, I know I’m in for a good, visceral, and rewarding time.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 8 / 10

‎Outriders is a game that surprised me. The demo couldn't get my hopes up. But with the full game I have come across things that I have really liked, like its lore, and its rawness, but also others that discourage, like its maps with unnatural coverages. It is a game that takes time to take rhythm, but that works well in all its aspects, without standing out too much in any of them. Perhaps the best thing about it is its cooperative component, which greatly improves the experience.‎

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Outriders is a competent third person shooter with solid gunplay and a surprisingly developed story. This makes it a great game for any player on the hunt for a compelling third person shooter.

Game Revolution - 7.5 / 10

Outriders delivers satisfying combat but suffers from a lackluster story. For co-op players, there’s a lot to entertain you here and the banter will help fill in the duller moments. The grind is also less intense than in similar experiences. What’s more, a bonus nod has to be given for this title’s completeness at launch.

PC Invasion - 7.5 / 10

While familiar and somewhat basic, Outriders has a lot of riveting action and a compelling gameplay loop that will satisfy people looking for their next looter shooter fix.

PPE.pl - Polish - 7.5 / 10

Outriders provides a lot of exciting clashes, but the experience of many players can be destroyed by the fight against servers. However, I believe that the Poles did not say the last word and soon all inconveniences will be eliminated.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.3 / 10

Outriders is a rare example of a complete looter-shooter, with fun combat mechanics but a lack of ambition as you play through the story and its endgame

COGconnected - 72 / 100

What we have here are two stories told with mixed results. The grim, gorgeous sci-fi saga fell flat for me. I couldn’t get invested in this last leg of the human race turning to tribalism and violence in the face of adversity. I’m pretty bored with ‘special soldier saves the day’ stories. But the loot cycle was a different matter. This tale of frustration, anticipation, determination, and joy was immediately compelling. I dug into the mechanical guts early and easily. The combat is varied, breathless, and brutal. The character progression is a decent mix of stats and skills, there’s a ton of customization to mess around with, and the difficulty scaling is perfectly fluid. I can tolerate a lot of nonsense in exchange for a good gameplay loop. But if you’re hoping for a package as good as the prize, you might be disappointed. So long as you’re prepared to dig a little for that glittering pearl, there’s a ton of fun to be had with Outriders.

But Why Tho? - 7 / 10

Overall, while Outriders doesn’t invent any new mechanics, the story is enjoyable, and the interesting classes, gear system, and world tiers make for some very challenging but fun gameplay. There were definitely a few hiccups on release day, and there are some easy alterations that can be made to make Outriders more accessible. But I would definitely recommend picking up this title.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

It's a lower bar to clear to be sure, but People Can Fly delivered what Bungie and other studios can't seem to do these days: a complete $60 game. Outriders is a flawed looter shooter that can fall into a rut with its core looting loop, but the gunplay is fun, and that's a decent-sized win. If you can grab two other people to recruit via Game Pass, it's a great way to spend some time.

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5 stars

Is Outriders a sophisticated action game with a compelling sci-fi story? No. Does it feel fun to freeze a spider with an ice turret and shatter it with a well-placed sniper shot? You bet. Sometimes, that’s all one really wants from a shooter like this. It could use an offline mode for single-player sessions and a fair bit of maintenance, but it’s a solid foundation for an action game that respects its players’ time.

Gadgets 360 - 7 / 10

When it all comes together, Outriders can be good fun. The gunplay felt a little stilted and laboured to me early on, but I've found it to be really satisfying at times, especially when you empty a volcanic-charged cartridge into an enemy's head — and they plop to the ground. And Outriders keeps you on your toes as you're constantly balancing various elements: where to find cover, dodging grenades, when to jump back out, who to target first, how to maximise your powers, and working with your squad. Outriders was built with co-op in mind and that's when it comes alive. It's nice to have a friend to lean on, and that goes for Outriders too, as they can help revive you. In fact, some of our most intense conversations have come out of debating when it's a good time to attempt to revive someone.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 70 / 100

Outriders is one of the games which is blocked by only-online features. This game is a brilliant third-person shooter but needs to be improved in technical side.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

Outriders' fast-paced combat and imaginative sci-fi setting make it a journey worth taking. And For all its flaws, this could be the start of something very special for developer People Can Fly.

Push Square - 7 / 10

Outriders absolutely excels when it lets combat, solid gunplay, and supremely satisfying abilities do the talking. Its unique blend of aggression really is something to behold in action. Rubbish characters, the requirement to maintain an online connection and couple with servers, and various technical hitches hold it back from greatness, but they don't muddy the picture so much to dissuade a recommendation. Outriders is pretty class in motion.

TheGamer - 3.5 / 5 stars

Outriders would have been a much better game had the campaign been half as long and the end game had twice as much content. I had fun exploring the dozen or so environments throughout the story mode, but the game doesn’t start firing on all cylinders until the gear you get becomes meaningful. The disposable nature of gear during the campaign/leveling process makes the game feel a lot more shallow than it actually is, and getting players to that end-game grind sooner would likely have exposed a lot more players to the best that Outriders has to offer.

Windows Central - 3.5 / 5 stars

If you're willing to overlook some questionable design choices, there's plenty of fun to be had with Outriders. Despite its numerous flaws, Outriders manages to provide loads of incredible, over-the-top fun.

Worth Playing - 6.8 / 10

I'm hooked. I love Outriders' shooting, skill, and loot mechanics and how they work together to form a highly addicting co-op shooter. While it has a lot of features that I'm not fond of, the core gameplay is solid enough to easily carry the rest of the experience. If you're into looter shooter or dungeon crawler games, Outriders will scratch that itch - if you can play it. With its current matchmaking and server issues, we cannot help but score it lower than we'd like. Whenever the technical issues are resolved, the experience could be as high as 8.3, making Outriders a co-op shooter that's well worth experiencing either alone or with friends.

PC Gamer - 63 / 100

Buried by an unsatisfying combat loop and bad campaign, Outriders is a forgettable loot game that ends right as it's getting started.

EGM - 6 / 10

People Can Fly's special brand of explosive gunplay is better than ever in Outriders, but the game loses its way by shoehorning in too many of the RPG mechanics that have become bog standard for the "looter shooter" genre. What should have been a rollercoaster all the way through ends up feeling more like a car in stop-and-go traffic.

NoobFeed - 55 / 100

Outriders drops the ball on something that had a lot of promise but fails to live up to it

Xbox Achievements - 50 / 100

Outriders is a looter-shooter built upon solid enough foundations, and its blend of gunplay and powers can prove intermittently enjoyable. But it's also a game lacking an engaging narrative heart, characters that you'll care about, and any sort of exciting long-term content. The quest for loot will only sustain you for so long.

ACG - Wait for Sale

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Outriders (People Can Fly co-op RPG shooter) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

A full, scored review for Outriders, now that it's been out almost a week.

Paul Tassi is one reviewer that basically obsesses over Looter Shooters.  It seems it's all he plays, so while I don't generally give a shit about review scores, at least he knows the genre and will give a better take on how it is as a Looter.

9/10

8 hours ago, The def star said:

This is a damn good game. One of the best co op games released in a long time. Might actually pay for the game to show the dev support.

I agree.  I said easily at least a 8.5/10 for me, maybe a 9.0 depending on how it wraps up and maybe End Game.  Even though the campaign alone has been a blast and pretty lengthy so far.  

I feel this game absolutely nails the Loot, Skills, Difficulty, and the feeling of Progression as you play through it.  One that essentially every single Looter I've played the last like 5+ years has gotten wrong. 

Games like Destiny, Anthem, Division, the loot and modifiers on the loot always were kinda meh until you get an exotic, and even then, a lot were fairly mediocre.  As you Level, you get the benefit of new skills unlocking, but it never made me feel significantly more powerful than I was before.  Or the campaigns in general were so easy it never mattered.  I'm loving the difficulty in Outriders so far.  My solo playthrough I am Lvl 22, World Tier 11, and its been a steady challenge the entire way through.  And having that next great drop sometimes can push damn near impossible encounters into much more manageable situations.  

The Loot Perks/Modifiers are all so well done and change the game so much, that the variety feels nearly endless on what you can do.  I've also been playing 3 of the 4 classes in a rotation, and they are all so well balanced, with great variety between them.  

It's great the game is on Game Pass as well because it would've been skipped over by many, and hopefully it gets the recognition it deserves to help People Can Fly build upon what they have here into an even better next entry.

12 hours ago, Bitgod said:

I dunno, I'm starting to hate this game cuz I just can't get past WT 6.  The death penalty is just too high for me.

Why would that make you hate the game? It should keep the difficulty in a place that allows you to keep progressing without being too hard.

Anything higher than WT6 you need to spec out your character for the occasion. I am playing co op and am level 17 WT8. We got into a boss battle that was just kicking our ass until I changed some of my skills for the fight. Turns out the Boss was weak towards fire so I leaned into that for the fight with guns that did burn damage and switch to my mortar strike ability. Think I'm like a 3/4 of the way to WT9.

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

What do you mean Auto Equip?  If you're holding the Pickup button it equips it, if you tap it it just picks it up in your inventory.

I didn't know this actually. I always just tap the button, which I think is odd because the game likes to make you hold down the button for so many other actions for no reason at all!

23 minutes ago, The def star said:

Anything higher than WT6 you need to spec out your character for the occasion. I am playing co op and am level 17 WT8. We got into a boss battle that was just kicking our ass until I changed some of my skills for the fight. Turns out the Boss was weak towards fire so I leaned into that for the fight with guns that did burn damage and switch to my mortar strike ability. Think I'm like a 3/4 of the way to WT9.

Yeah, you definitely need to synergize your build.  Make sure the armors perks you're wearing boost the skills you are using.  Make sure to try to have a gun with Life Leech or Shield Leech to help a little with survivability.

I'm still running my solo Devastator, just hit Lvl 27, World Tier 13.

Also, upping World Tier also allows you to equip higher level gear so match your enemies, so you're really not at as much a disadvantage as it may seem.  When you first level up or hit a new world tier, you'll be at a disadvantage for a bit, but as you get drops to match your Gear Cap, it should become significantly easier.

Yeah I got to a point in WT6 where I was super frustrated with a certain battle.  Then I took some time to change up my gear so the skills all aligned in a way i thought should help with the problems I was having and i got through the fight relatively easy.  I haven't had too much trouble since.  It really is all about making sure the perks on your gear line up with the skills your using and each other.  It makes a TON of difference.  I've really enjoyed getting to difficult parts because it means I need to step back and reexamine my set up for the fight.  Loving this game.

• Like 1