The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Shut up, Joe.

If you're going to say anything, it's the only thing worth saying. "Wait and see". Better would be "it's a local and state matter, barring revelation of possible federal crime"

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If you're going to say anything, it's the only thing worth saying. "Wait and see". Better would be "it's a local and state matter, barring revelation of possible federal crime"

We don't do it to the extent we could or should but denial of civil rights is a pretty well traveled role for the federal government in cases like this

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We don't do it to the extent we could or should but denial of civil rights is a pretty well traveled role for the federal government in cases like this

What civil rights violation would exist in a case like this?

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That may be the catch but it would be up to a federal prosecutor to look into all the evidence 

There certainly are MANY cases where federal charges could and should be brought on the basis of civil rights violations. Part of the problem is that federal prosecutors are even more averse to pursuing cases they aren't sure they can win than local prosecutors. But this also becomes a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy when we make it irregular to charge police officers with crimes, it becomes a much bigger deal to normies who serve on juries to convict, which makes prosecutors more wary of filing in the first place!

I don't think cops should be armed during traffic stops with lethal force. Yes, I understand that they can be dangerous a tiny fraction of the time, but 99.999% of people are just going to drive off rather than shoot the cop if they know the cop isn't armed. The reason traffic stops get dangerous for cops is because they're pulling people over that have warrants out for their arrest and start to panic, or have drugs and... start to panic.

But guess what, running from the cops in a vehicle is a felony in most (if not all) states, the cop's dash cam now has their plate number, and they just added 1-3 years to whatever they were running from. But at least they're not fucking dead.

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

A Chief of Police making off-the-cuff remarks one way or another at a press conference could very likely derail any potential prosecution of the shooter though.  He's smart not to make any heavy handed comments in support of, or against, the police officer.

13 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

This kind of attitude from the PD is why, even though what Mclumber said is true, I don't think it excuses the chief's attitude.

We have seen chiefs be carefully noncommittal with statements before. This wasn't that. Clearly the wagons are circling and he sees the officer, rather than Duante Wright, as the victim.

We had the swift crackdown last night, he walked out of the room initially, then gave those comments, and now they're flying this flag.

I expect violent force will be used at the drop of a hat tonight and we'll see the typical thing of gas cans being aimed at people's heads and just generally the cops fighting like they are taking this shit personally. 

Stop pulling people over when they don't pose an immediate threat to public safety. This protects law enforcement as well. The officer that was just shot in New Mexico pulled the driver over for a tint violation. This poor kid was stopped for an air freshener. 

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't think cops should be armed during traffic stops with lethal force. Yes, I understand that they can be dangerous a tiny fraction of the time, but 99.999% of people are just going to drive off rather than shoot the cop if they know the cop isn't armed. The reason traffic stops get dangerous for cops is because they're pulling people over that have warrants out for their arrest and start to panic, or have drugs and... start to panic.

But guess what, running from the cops in a vehicle is a felony in most (if not all) states, the cop's dash cam now has their plate number, and they just added 1-3 years to whatever they were running from. But at least they're not fucking dead.

I don't know what the percentage of armed people are in traffic stops, but I think it's more than we think. Ex: I just saw this recently.

I feel terrible that the woman was only 31. But I think at that point, after all that patience, and clearly trying to go in the vehicle several times where her weapon is, that lethal force was the only thing that made sense (especially since his taser failed, which apparently happens often).

Had he not been armed, then we'd just have a possible dead cop due to a taser that didn't work.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

I don't know what the percentage of armed people are in traffic stops, but I think it's more than we think. Ex: I just saw this recently.

I feel terrible that the woman was only 31. But I think at that point, after all that patience, and clearly trying to go in the vehicle several times where her weapon is, that lethal force was the only thing that made sense (especially since his taser failed, which apparently happens often).

Had he not been armed, then we'd just have a possible dead cop due to a taser that didn't work.

I can't watch the video right now, but my point is the overwhelming majority of people who get pulled over and panic will just peel out and run, they won't shoot the officer if they know they're not armed. That's not to say it would NEVER happen, but it's clear de-escalation.

And, maaayyybe, in certain dangerous instances, the officer should just... Let them run?

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

I can't watch the video right now, but my point is the overwhelming majority of people who get pulled over and panic will just peel out and run, they won't shoot the officer if they know they're not armed. That's not to say it would NEVER happen, but it's clear de-escalation.

And, maaayyybe, in certain dangerous instances, the officer should just... Let them run?

I don't think that was an option in the video. I've seen cops let someone run, but they'll pick their wallet out of their pocket for identification. 

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

she obviously wasn't who they were looking for. Let her go, and live to fight another day. Why are morbidly obese people allowed to be on patrol?

5 minutes ago, Iculus said:

she obviously wasn't who they were looking for. Let her go, and live to fight another day. Why are morbidly obese people allowed to be on patrol?

I could see letting her go, to an extent. But not knowing what she has in her car (and we find that it's a gun that she used on him), and the fact that she was telling people where she was (don't know if they're armed), there are a lot of moving elements. He even tried a taser at first, which is the nonlethal option, and I've learned they're not 100% reliable.

Do we really have to insult the cop when the person who shot him was also fat? Why not pick our battles? I just get worried that at some point, we're just hurting good officers. Yeah, the dude is huge, but he was patient as all hell, wasn't going out guns blazing, and tried non-lethal force AND told her to drop the gun. That's what I want to see as opposed to the Virginia cops who came out guns blazing and I'm pretty sure realized they eff'd up by the end of it. But for this video, I'd rather she had turned her life around (only 31) and he wasn't shot, but given the circumstance, that's a situation when I feel it's brought on herself, and he's alive at that point because he's armed.

There has to be not necessarily a straight middle, but something between guns blazing and being unarmed, imo.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Do we really have to insult the cop when the person who shot him was also fat?

Yes, because we can't really fault his actions. So instead we mock his appearance.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I could see letting her go, to an extent. But not knowing what she has in her car (and we find that it's a gun that she used on him), and the fact that she was telling people where she was (don't know if they're armed), there are a lot of moving elements. He even tried a taser at first, which is the nonlethal option, and I've learned they're not 100% reliable.

Do we really have to insult the cop when the person who shot him was also fat? Why not pick our battles? I just get worried that at some point, we're just hurting good officers. Yeah, the dude is huge, but he was patient as all hell, wasn't going out guns blazing, and tried non-lethal force AND told her to drop the gun. That's what I want to see as opposed to the Virginia cops who came out guns blazing and I'm pretty sure realized they eff'd up by the end of it. But for this video, I'd rather she had turned her life around (only 31) and he wasn't shot, but given the circumstance, that's a situation when I feel it's brought on herself, and he's alive at that point because he's armed.

There has to be not necessarily a straight middle, but something between guns blazing and being unarmed, imo.

The person with outstanding warrants wasn't in the car. It's none of his business what is in the car at that point. I'm not insulting the officer. I'm questioning why we don't have fitness requirements for a job where fitness is potentially extremely important. 

1 minute ago, Iculus said:

It's none of his business what is in the car at that point.

FAAAALLLLLLSSSSSEEEEE. The car belonged to the person with the warrant, not the driver.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yes, because we can't really fault his actions. So instead we mock his appearance.

The black Capitol officer who got Romney to safety and led the mob astray was also a bit overweight, but I'd buy him a drink.

The whole issue frustrates me because it's probably one of the few issues where I feel that two sides are speaking past each other. And some just have ill motives and are racist, but I know some people who work crime scenes and get excited if they can prove someone's innocence. So I know there are people who really think it's a calling, but I also know that too many people die who shouldn't, whether it's Tamir Rice or George Floyd (especially the latter having known people who have gotten off drugs).

5 minutes ago, Iculus said:

The person with outstanding warrants wasn't in the car. It's none of his business what is in the car at that point. I'm not insulting the officer. I'm questioning why we don't have fitness requirements for a job where fitness is potentially extremely important. 

Fun fact about that: despite how they look, if they're passing the physical exam, then they're good.

I don't think it's necessarily none of his business, especially if there are other things in the car connecting the wanted man with other crimes. 

EDIT: Oh, there may be a misunderstanding. The car belongs to the person with outstanding warrants. It's totally his business, and he was trying to explain that to the woman.

Just so the point isn't lost, I'm referencing this one because it's an example of someone who was maybe too patient and was shot, but was able to save himself because he was armed. He clearly wasn't trying to kill anyone until the very last second, so I don't think disarming him would be the answer. An innocent person dying is heartbreaking, but so is an innocent cop. Let's protect both.

Nothing that happens in the video is related to his physical fitness. It wasn’t like he was getting chased by somebody and used his gun because he couldn’t physically get away or something similar. So interesting that his physical fitness would be an issue *shrug*

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Nothing that happens in the video is related to his physical fitness. It wasn’t like he was getting chased by somebody and used his gun because he couldn’t physically get away or something similar. So interesting that his physical fitness would be an issue *shrug*

I think one of the real tragedy is that if the Taser had worked, nobody would have been shot. 😕 It actually could have saved a life.

I personally think it's not the worst thing to just let people go sometimes. Chase them if you want, but doing things like shooting someone because they're trying to get away isn't justified in my opinion (not that this was necessarily the case in this instance, I'm still not home so I haven't watched the video). I'd honestly be okay with some petty criminals getting away for the day rather than police executing them. People can only stay on the run for so long.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So interesting that his physical fitness would be an issue *shrug*

not really. their mental fitness is even further behind. I can't think of a group of employees that are less capable of performing their duties than law enforcement. 

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I personally think it's not the worst thing to just let people go sometimes. Chase them if you want, but doing things like shooting someone because they're trying to get away isn't justified in my opinion (not that this was necessarily the case in this instance, I'm still not home so I haven't watched the video). I'd honestly be okay with some petty criminals getting away for the day rather than police executing them. People can only stay on the run for so long.

Not even dangerous criminals should be chased. Case in point, my wife's aunt was murdered a few years back. Police managed to track down one of her murderers when he was spotted in a stolen car. Highway chase ensued. I don't care what anyone says, highway chase aren't just automagically safe. Either way, he loses control of the car and plows right into a house, luckily killing nobody, but easily could have. Catching a literal murderer isn't worth killing a couple folks enjoying a movie in their livingroom.

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

FB_IMG_1618268233645.jpg

Yup yup yup.

I think I've said it here before, but...

When I was 18 my buddy and I ended up giving a girl a ride home after we caught a late movie. This was before cellphones, we lent her change for a phone call but nobody picked up. When I turned onto her street, a cop parked down the road turned on his lights and pulled me over. After giving him my license, he let me know that the girl was reported missing and that she was 14. After confirming with the officer that the two of us didn't do anything physical with her (she was never asked if anything had happened) he asked me to follow them to the police station and let me keep her in my car for the ride. When we got there the officer brought her to her mom, and told us to go into their break room and help ourselves to coffee. When he was done with the girl and her mom, he came to ream me out, not because we had a missing child in my backseat, but because she could have had a gun and shot me.

I think about this all the time now, whenever I see someone with darker skin than mine get blown away for way less than transporting a minor who had been reported missing earlier in the day.

Potter has worked for the department for nearly 25 years and is president of the Brooklyn Center Police Officer's Association. In that role, she has represented other officers involved in deadly shootings.

25 years and we're supposed to buy she can't tell a taser from a gun. 

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yup yup yup.

I think I've said it here before, but...

When I was 18 my buddy and I ended up giving a girl a ride home after we caught a late movie. This was before cellphones, we lent her change for a phone call but nobody picked up. When I turned onto her street, a cop parked down the road turned on his lights and pulled me over. After giving him my license, he let me know that the girl was reported missing and that she was 14. After confirming with the officer that the two of us didn't do anything physical with her (she was never asked if anything had happened) he asked me to follow them to the police station and let me keep her in my car for the ride. When we got there the officer brought her to her mom, and told us to go into their break room and help ourselves to coffee. When he was done with the girl and her mom, he came to ream me out, not because we had a missing child in my backseat, but because she could have had a gun and shot me.

I think about this all the time now, whenever I see someone with darker skin than mine get blown away for way less than transporting a minor who had been reported missing earlier in the day.

Reminds me of an incident when I was in high school. I driving my girlfriend and her friend in my girlfriend's car. It was a nice, newer car and they were both in the back seat drinking alcohol. Obviously we were all under 21 and I believe I was not even 18. I wasn't drinking nor did I have a drink but I was driving them to the gfs house.

So that's the context. I turn left on to the country road just outside of town, and the Ohio State Highway Patrol officer (a  department notoriously full of assholes) pulls me over for going left of center which was bullshit because it's a country road and it's maybe 7 feet from the median to dirt. Everyone crosses the median except when passing other cars! Anyway, I get pulled over and I'm nervous as hell, as they are freaking out in the back because they can get kicked off the volleyball team or whatever if they get cought with alcohol. So I'm nervous and talking to the patrolman and I accidently call him "ma'am" which he did not take well. "What the fuck did you say to/call me?" Or something similar came out. I was able to bullshit about how my mom would kill me if I got another ticket (I had two previous tickets because I delivered pizza, it comes with the territory) and I was ultimately able to get away with just a warning. 

Recently I've also come to reflect on this experience, and I can't help but think similarly to you here. What if I had darker skin and midgendered a cop to his face? Even if it was on accident. Hell, until recently I never really knew what to call what I did to him. I can't even imagine how badly this could have gone.

And also, seeing as how race wasn't a thing that I could perceive in an all white community, what if I was driving my shitty car and the girls were obviously from a lower class than what they were, or if they were some of my guy friends? Would I just have gotten a warning? Would the cop believe my bullshit about why I was nervous?