The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Or we could use the revenue to right size the roads so that speeding isn't a viable option. Fewer and narrower lanes, frequent stopping, and transportation alternatives to driving as some examples of what would be a better use of money. Give the people money once a year won't encourage them to drive slower or safer.

That should be funded with general tax revenue.  I doubt that ticket revenue alone could fund what you are describing.  What's with you libruls not wanting to give money back to the people?  

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

That should be funded with general tax revenue.  I doubt that ticket revenue alone could fund what you are describing.  What's with you libruls not wanting to give money back to the people?  

Infrastructure projects are giving money back to the people ya goober :p

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm just shocked the libertarian isn't going with "don't engineer a scheme by the state deliberately designed to take money from people in the first place"

52 minutes ago, Jason said:

And what was the warrant even for? I'm assuming non-shithole countries don't shoot you for fleeing from arrest on a warrant for a small amount of drugs or passing a few fake bills or whatever.

the warrant could have even been for something as benign as an unpaid speeding ticket. 

regardless, while not a smart move in his part to try and flee, unless he was posing an immediate threat I don’t see the justification of executing him. The cops still killed a person, not because they had to, but because they wanted to. 

There is a press conference about this shooting right now.   The video seems pretty clear to me - the officer intended to taser Daunte, but accidentally withdrew her pistol and shot him instead.  This is clearly due to a lack of adequate training with this particular officer, and I hope she is charged with manslaughter. 

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

Question: have you traveled to Europe at all?

You don't need speed cameras to enforce the speed limit on a street like this:

1.1a 6 mph Woonerfs – NEU Dialogue Delft 2017

I know there's a specific term for this sort of design where you have narrow curves back and forth with shit in the way. @b_m_b_m_b_m It's not woonerf, it's specifically about the shit in the way of driving design, can you think of the term I'm thinking of?

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Right. I'm not saying it's the end all be all or that it would work in every situation. But it might have prevented this confrontation.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I know there's a specific term for this sort of design where you have narrow curves back and forth with shit in the way. @b_m_b_m_b_m It's not woonerf, it's specifically about the shit in the way of driving design, can you think of the term I'm thinking of?

Chicanes?

Just now, Uaarkson said:

Ending police traffic stops would have prevented this confrontation.

And one way you do that is with speed cameras on the side of the highway! I literally did not see a single police officer on the highway the last time I went to Spain.

21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

There is a press conference about this shooting right now.   The video seems pretty clear to me - the officer intended to taser Daunte, but accidentally withdrew her pistol and shot him instead.  This is clearly due to a lack of adequate training with this particular officer, and I hope she is charged with manslaughter. 

Do police officers have rounds chambered in their weapons at all times? Seems to me like an awful lot has to go wrong for someone to accidentally shoot someone with a firearm vs. a taser.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Do police officers have rounds chambered in their weapons at all time? Seems to me like an awful lot has to go wrong for someone to accidentally shoot someone with a firearm vs. a taser.

I’m certain they do. I am actually surprised it doesn’t happen more often given how our brains go to mush in stressful situations

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Do police officers have rounds chambered in their weapons at all times? Seems to me like an awful lot has to go wrong for someone to accidentally shoot someone with a firearm vs. a taser.

Yes.  Police always carry with a round chambered.  This is standard procedure world-wide where police are armed.  The only exception that I'm aware of is in Israel with certain security forces there. 

There clearly is not enough gravity to the decision to pull out their guns in the first place. My dumb idea to stop police from

being so Willy nilly with their gun is to have forced retirement if you discharge your weapon, good shoot or not. 

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

Make them carry a gun on one hip and a taser on the other hip.

They do, typically. Gun on dominant side, taser on the other.

How the fuck do you mix up your taser with your pistol? This happens far too often. 

Isn't the movie Fruitvale Station about the real incident of a cop killing a Black man because he mixed them up? I've been meaning to watch that. 

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yes.  Police always carry with a round chambered.  This is standard procedure world-wide where police are armed.

Why? This seems needlessly dangerous. Give police officers single action revolvers, you won’t accidentally mistake your taser for your handgun and you only have a few shots that most cops won’t be able to fire quickly.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There clearly is not enough gravity to the decision to pull out their guns in the first place. My dumb idea to stop police from

being so Willy nilly with their gun is to have forced retirement if you discharge your weapon, good shoot or not. 

How about indefinite suspension without pay until an independent civilian body reviews the circumstances?

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

"... So long as we haven't killed them before they get their day in court"

Due process, like what she just deprived Duante Wright of?

Not that I think she should be summarily strung up in the town square without due process, but I am so tired of these chiefs being so blatantly bias and already having made up their mind. 

We should be talking about her due process rights of deserving a trial, not due process about keeping her job. It should be assumed she is fired after gross incompetence led to her murdering someone.

Just now, Chairslinger said:

Due process, like what she just deprived Duante Wright of?

Not that I think she should be summarily strung up in the town square without due process, but I am so tired of these chiefs being so blatantly bias and already having made up their mind. 

We should be talking about her due process rights of deserving a trial, not due process about keeping her job. It should be assumed she is fired after gross incompetence led to her murdering someone.

A Chief of Police making off-the-cuff remarks one way or another at a press conference could very likely derail any potential prosecution of the shooter though.  He's smart not to make any heavy handed comments in support of, or against, the police officer.