Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): Shadow of the Erdtree DLC "Collector's Edition Messmer the Impaler Statue" trailer

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What really blows is Forbidden West comes out a few days earlier than this. I'm going to have a difficult decision to make in which game to focus on first lol. 

Depends. Do you wanna play an incredible open world combat type game or NBA 2K set in a futuristic dinosaur land?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Brick said:

Why will you have to play offline? How would getting it on PC make that a regret? 

The Dark Souls series notoriously has no cheat protection. "Hackers" are rampant in these games on PC. And the shit they can do can fuck up you character for good unless you have your saved backed up. They can flood your character with souls, curse you, and reduce your soul level and can soft ban you.

2hg6q07yh5d81.png

Some of this stuff can be done on console but it is harder. 

I jumped the gun a little bit but it is not confirmed that anyone is using that RCE exploit 'cept for the person who found it and has been attempting to raise awareness of it so From will fix it. That is like only a day old exploit or something like that. But now that the idea of it is public it would be wise to play Dark Souls 3 offline at the moment and Elden Ring appears to be using the same framework or whatever you want to call it meaning that, unless fixed, Elden Ring will launch with that same exploit. 

Maybe it is a bit fear-mongery atm but it is something will happen eventually if it is never fixed. 

15 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I was confused when I launched Dark Souls remastered today.

Also I have broken that game. I went for a glass cannon melee build and my deaths now are only really from learning bosses, getting overconfident, and mainly falls. Warhammer permiates everything I do so my go to weapons are the halberd and greatswords. I dropped the halberd for the black knight halberd because it pwns. Plus it's an downward swing. The regular halberd is a stab but I was having trouble with flying enemies and bosses so I dropped it. Not because it's bad per say but it just misses to much. I want to call this my "High Elf build". Now if only armour was worth a damn I could make a Phoenix Guard build. 

Got tired of getting pwned by invaders and since armor is kinda bad in this game I figured not getting hit was wiser. Went Endurance first, added some points to dex so I can use halberds, and then strength to 40 and working now on Dex to 40. I guess I will do Vit or more endurance. I want to be a fully armoured knight but the benefits of fast over medium is too much to ignore. 

edit: This will be my build going forward except for maybe Sekiro since I will probably use a Japanese weapon for role-play purposes. Hope Elden Ring has a halberd. Also we need an early Renaissance Souls game so I can achieve maximum Warhammer Fantasy role play.  

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elden Ring (25 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Gold" status achieved, new gameplay footage from Taipei Game Show, 30 hours to complete (main story path only)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elden Ring (25 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Gold Status" attained on 13 December 2021, new gameplay footage from Taipei Game Show, 30 hours to complete (main story path only)

I really look forward to this but I'm intimidated by the possibility of it being too difficult for me to play. Since it's an open world, will that have any role in it being maybe a bit easier than their linear games?

Is there difficulty settings? I did beat Bloodborne but I was smoking weed at the time and that significantly helped me to relax and fight through the difficulty. 

No weed this time. :(

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I really look forward to this but I'm intimidated by the possibility of it being too difficult for me to play. Since it's an open world, will that have any role in it being maybe a bit easier than their linear games?

Is there difficulty settings? I did beat Bloodborne but I was smoking weed at the time and that significantly helped me to relax and fight through the difficulty. 

There seems to be an emphasis on summoning help this time around. You could always use that help. Also, in these games, tower shields are a massive help. They can trivialize most required encounters. You could say they were made for people who aren't as good at dodging. They can make blocking into something almost as good as dodging. There is honestly nothing wrong with looking up where the closest 100% physical blocking tower shield is located and then farming out the souls needed to wield the shield. They usually require a good amount of strength. You could also pair magic with a tower shield. That way you have strong ranged attacks and great blocking capabilities.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You're in luck!

elden-ring-1640039956608.png?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

A new gameplay overview of Elden Ring has revealed FromSoftware's focus on making sure players aren't overly stressed while playing the game – but seemingly without reducing the difficulty you'd expect from Souls game enemies.

Seems like they have gamers like you in mind. Honestly, outside of Sekiro these games aren't really that hard. The difficulty often is in finding your way around and the lack of "save anywhere" checkpoints. And most of the time, unless there's shortcuts, if you die to a boss getting back to them to fight again is as tough as the bosses themselves. They seem to have addressed that in this game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If you can beat Bloodborne, you'll be fine with this.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You're in luck!

elden-ring-1640039956608.png?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

A new gameplay overview of Elden Ring has revealed FromSoftware's focus on making sure players aren't overly stressed while playing the game – but seemingly without reducing the difficulty you'd expect from Souls game enemies.

Seems like they have gamers like you in mind. Honestly, outside of Sekiro these games aren't really that hard. The difficulty often is in finding your way around and the lack of "save anywhere" checkpoints. And most of the time, unless there's shortcuts, if you die to a boss getting back to them to fight again is as tough as the bosses themselves. They seem to have addressed that in this game.

Great news and read. That's a big relief and phenomenal game mechanic decisions for a game like this. 

41 minutes ago, best3444 said:

And looking at the current date and the release of this gives me a solid month to beat Valhalla. We shall see because if @BloodyHell is correct about it taking 100 hours there is no way I can do it. But I'll drop Valhalla for Elden Ring with no issue.

Maybe, if you never do anything but the main path, you'll get there in 70. But i didn't do 1/4 of everything, ane it took me 100 hours. It also felt really repetitive. There are some cool moments, but the game certainly could have been pared down a lot. 

Why did you start over?

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Maybe, if you never do anything but the main path, you'll get there in 70. But i didn't do 1/4 of everything, ane it took me 100 hours. It also felt really repetitive. There are some cool moments, but the game certainly could have been pared down a lot. 

Why did you start over?

I started over because I totally forgot what I was doing and where the story arcs were at. Plus I wanted to see everything run at 60fps at 4K from beginning to end on my XSX. I was previously playing it on my Xbox one x.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
PRVZMr2qEbX5f32CiAJnM8-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

Brandon Sanderson says the Game of Thrones author doesn't even know video games

“Let me be salty,” Sanderson said. “FromSoftware decides to make a fantasy game and partner with a fantasy novelist, and they choose someone who spends his days blogging about the NFL rather than the person who has played their games since King’s Field and has listed their games as among his top 10 consistently over time.”

“What are you thinking people,” he adds, rather tongue-in-cheek. 

“They went to George and made a game with George, and I’m like, George doesn’t play video games. George has no idea.”

Geeze, Brandon - don't hold back! :p

• Haha 1