Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (05/21): Shadow of the Erdtree "Story Trailer"

8 hours ago, legend said:

This would be a game changer for me if true. My issue with the Souls games was never that they were hard, but that they made you retread ground before you could practice the hard part. (This is similarly why very few Rogue Likes click with me).

This was why I never got into the series before bloodborne. I hated the idea of going through complete levels to get to a boss. Then I saw BB, and fell in love. Then I played DS3 and Sekiro (hardest game I've ever played), and realized they aren't as hard as some people pretend.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's the retread/enemy location memorization that always killed it for me. Walk down hallway, kill enemy A, turn right, Kill enemy B, take three steps, dodge enemy C, etc. etc.

That's why I'm so interested in Elden Ring, because I get to experience a Souls world without feeling like I'm playing the game in my head before playing it on screen.

9 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Yeah, it's the retread/enemy location memorization that always killed it for me. Walk down hallway, kill enemy A, turn right, Kill enemy B, take three steps, dodge enemy C, etc. etc.

That's why I'm so interested in Elden Ring, because I get to experience a Souls world without feeling like I'm playing the game in my head before playing it on screen.

And I love that stuff, but it just feels mechanical and boring after a while, especially when you're banging your head against a boss for hours on end, having to trek back to him on top of losing all progress just got grating after while.  

The first boss in Bloodborne almost made me quit when I started these games. I'd do it a few times, get frustrated, rage quit, rinse and repeat. Then one day I beat him and I was hooked. 

This does a better job of giving rewarding but simple content, or at least the network test did.

My other rage quit was Orphan of Kos. 

Then the Ape in Sekiro.

Then the Drunkard.

Then the final boss. That took me months.

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is aexactly what they addressed in this game to make it more accessible.

The way I interpreted it in one of the reviews I listened to was that there's a certain item or something that you can use wherever to create essentially a "save point". A bonfire or whatever they are in this game. I have no idea if I heard it 100% right, if it's a limited use item or what but yeah, there's some mechanic beyond the bonfire system of previous Souls games. 

39 minutes ago, The def star said:

I tried getting into Dark Souls like 2 years ago but it just didn't click. Going to give it a go again with Elden Ring. Like that it is open world.

Glad you have an open mind. It's handling some issues with the Souls game differently so you may have a good time with this. 

• True 1

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think that's the main thing to keep in mind for beginners. Just have an open mind, explore and see which direction the world steers you.

Yea and I just read if you get stuck at a certain "boss" you can just move on and explore somewhere else which is rad.

• Like 1

Elden-Ring-Patch-Notes-Ver102-1280x720.j
EN.BANDAINAMCOENT.EU

ELDEN RING Update: we have started distributing an update file to improve the stability of the gameplay. We apologize for the inconvenience, but please apply the latest update file before playing the game. App Ver. 1.02 Regulation Ver. 1.02.1

App Ver. 1.02
Regulation Ver. 1.02.1

Major items included in the latest update:

•     Improved player controls
  •     Addition and adjustment of BGM
  •     Text adjustments
  •     Balance adjustments
  •     NPC event fixes and adjustments
  •     Fixed frame rate drops under certain conditions
  •     Fixed text bug in some languages
  •     Fixed a bug that prevented the Xbox wireless headset from working properly

* Timing for the implementation of ray tracing, which is planned to be supported after the launch, will be revealed in future announcements.

Between Horizon and Witch Queen, I wouldn't be playing this particularly soon anyways, but I'm still divided as to if I'll give it a try. It does sound like it's more accessible and less punishing than other souls games, but that's not saying much. I read articles like this one explaining why Sous skeptics should give Elden Ring a try, and to me it sounds like "well, this game has slightly fewer things that will make you hate it."

Then I read things like this suggesting that I keep a journal, and that just sounds like a decision designed to frustrate me. Even if the people saying those things claim that having a quest log would be a bad thing for the game, I just have a hard time believing that kind of decision would make me have a better time with the game.

It's hard not to get caught up in all the hype, especially when it seems that this game is delivering exactly what it promised, but unfortunately it's difficult to accept that it's probably still not something for me.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I find the notion that a game needs to be beaten or finished before it’s reviewed to be one of the silliest expectations that gamers have.

Why? Would you trust a movie reviewer who only watched part of a movie or a book reviewer who only read part of a book? What if the game has a difficulty spike in the end? or if it starts out slow but picks up later. Or if the story took a different direction in the end of the game for all of you guys that care about the story? It's the reviewer's JOB to know what they're talking about regarding a game. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Why? Would you trust a movie reviewer who only watched part of a movie or a book reviewer who only read part of a book? What if the game has a difficulty spike in the end? or if it starts out slow but picks up later. Or if the story took a different direction in the end of the game for all of you guys that care about the story? It's the reviewer's JOB to know what they're talking about regarding a game. 

In general I think that stuff is overstated. If you have an awesome 50 hours with a game and the wheels fall off at the end, that’s still 50 solid hours. And I don’t think that happens all that often; the exceptions are memorable. I also think that “finishing” a game doesn’t mean all that much depending on the genre. If you finish the main quest line in something like Horizon and do no side content, and finish the game in 20 hours, do you know the game better than someone who dumped 40 hours into it and got halfway through the main story? Or on the other side, if a game is a complete slog but has a rad twist at the end, I don’t know that the slickest ending hook is going to make up for a bland game leading up into it. If a game takes many hours to get good, I think it’s equally valuable to know that someone bounced off it for a long period.

Books are just a horse of a different color. I have a couple friends who are authors and my impression is that the review industry / machine is meaningfully different to the point where it’s an apples to oranges comparison… but I’m not claiming to be an expert.

TL;DR… I feel like I’ve been playing games long enough to make informed decisions about a game much earlier than they end in the majority of circumstances and I’d wager most reviewers can probably do the same. And I think that a couple dozen hours in a game is enough to make an informed decision about whether or not it’s worth the investment, again, in the majority of circumstances.