E3 Hype Check

crispy4000

Looking forward to FFVII.  It may not have a traditional battle system, but it's still as close as we'll get to a classic Final Fantasy from Square Enix.  Can't remember the last time Square Enix put out a FF game that lived up to the name for me.  Enjoyed FFXV, warts and all, but by the series standards it was a bit of a mess.

Even though I always think, eh who cares not that excited, I still really do enjoy sitting down each day to watch each briefing.  I know that nothing is going to blow me away or really excite me, but its just fun to sit back and watch a few hours worth of video game news presented to you.

49 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Even though I always think, eh who cares not that excited, I still really do enjoy sitting down each day to watch each briefing.  I know that nothing is going to blow me away or really excite me, but its just fun to sit back and watch a few hours worth of video game news presented to you.

Plus the bad E3's are often the memorable ones, haha.

M$ is in great hands. just look at past Phil Spencer interviews he told you what his plan was and he is executing it with basically an unlimited budget.  First thing he wanted to do was fix the hardware division. He did and they brought us the Marvelous Xbox 1x.  His second step was to fix the software.  He realized with the budget cuts of the previous leadership and their focus on multimedia instead of gaming hurt the brand.  So he went about fixing the first party situation by more then doubling the first party studios and he's not done yet.  I'm damn excited to see what they have to show.  This e3 should be just a stepping stone for next year when the culmination of all of Phil's efforts will be in full effect.

Told yall Phil was about to let his nuts hang. Get ready for Sunday

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

It aint an E3 Hype thread until @TomCatposts....

people aint paying attention to what Phil is doing behind the seens.  All of Ms studios were hiring some of them doubling thier staff.  He is also poaching top talent to the brand new studio 

2 hours ago, TomCat said:

people aint paying attention to what Phil is doing behind the seens.  All of Ms studios were hiring some of them doubling thier staff.  He is also poaching top talent to the brand new studio 

2 hours ago, TomCat said:

M$ is in great hands. just look at past Phil Spencer interviews he told you what his plan was and he is executing it with basically an unlimited budget.  First thing he wanted to do was fix the hardware division. He did and they brought us the Marvelous Xbox 1x.  His second step was to fix the software.  He realized with the budget cuts of the previous leadership and their focus on multimedia instead of gaming hurt the brand.  So he went about fixing the first party situation by more then doubling the first party studios and he's not done yet.  I'm damn excited to see what they have to show.  This e3 should be just a stepping stone for next year when the culmination of all of Phil's efforts will be in full effect.

Told yall Phil was about to let his nuts hang. Get ready for Sunday

I think we've been waiting to see the meat.  A console generation is the time to change market trajectory, but Sony and MS haven't even shown their cards yet.

Does fixing the hardware division mean having less than half the installed base of the market leader and probably being within 18 months of having a smaller installed based than Nintendo (despite being on the market for 3.5 years less)?

They were doing great with Hardware until the Xbox One S with no disc drive for however much it was.  

I think its fairly obvious that MS isn’t as concerned with selling hardware as they are building up the Xbox Brand in general.  If they really were concerned with moving consoles they wouldn’t be putting all exclusives on PC.

They were doing great with hardware until the Xbox One was first revealed.  Most of this generation has been spent trying to recover from the position the end of the Mattrick era left them in.

Like Nintendo with the Switch, I think Microsoft feels added pressure to lead with a bang.  If there's still another year+ before the launch, I don’t expect this E3 to be as heavy as the next, first party-wise.

Games Pass and xCloud does change the equation a bit, but not enough to make their hopes to sell new hardware irrelevant IMO.  I think we’ll see that in the games they show.  Lots of end-cycle stuff instead of new-gen ground up projects.  Leaks say Halo Infinite will be demoed on PC; that says how much they're willing to tip their hat this year.  I suppose we could see something tech demo-ish for xCloud and some light teasers for later, fuller next-gen reveals.

3rd parties, maybe we’ll see more next-gen teasers from them?  I’m thinking about when Ubisoft first unveiled Watch Dogs.  Downgrades aside.

20 hours ago, mikechorney said:

I think we've been waiting to see the meat.  A console generation is the time to change market trajectory, but Sony and MS haven't even shown their cards yet.

Does fixing the hardware division mean having less than half the installed base of the market leader and probably being within 18 months of having a smaller installed based than Nintendo (despite being on the market for 3.5 years less)?

Ms is not to concerned with hardware sales they know that money is made in the software thats why Phil is making a concerted effort to increase the software. This e3 will be just a taste next e3 will be the major blowout.  Not sure how you can say the hardware division wasnt fixed. Look at how great the 1x turned out People give them shit about the controllers but its cool as hell to be able to create a custom one.   Hopefully next gen we will get Custom Elite controllers

6 minutes ago, TomCat said:

Ms is not to concerned with hardware sales they know that money is made in the software thats why Phil is making a concerted effort to increase the software. This e3 will be just a taste next e3 will be the major blowout.  Not sure how you can say the hardware division wasnt fixed. Look at how great the 1x turned out People give them shit about the controllers but its cool as hell to be able to create a custom one.   Hopefully next gen we will get Custom Elite controllers

The hardware division being "fixed" would imply the hardware was selling well -- when compared to it's competitors, it is not. Even with the 1X, their install base is less than half of Sony.  Who gives them shit about their controllers?  My Elite controller is my "go to controller".

If MS has a strategy that will actually drive subscription/3rd party royalty revenue without hardware sales, it will be interesting to see.  I don't believe there has yet been a rush to either the Windows store to buy games, or buy PC based Xbox subscriptions.  So their revenue is still largely tied to hardware.

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

The hardware division being "fixed" would imply the hardware was selling well -- when compared to it's competitors, it is not. Even with the 1X, their install base is less than half of Sony.  Who gives them shit about their controllers?  My Elite controller is my "go to controller".

If MS has a strategy that will actually drive subscription/3rd party royalty revenue without hardware sales, it will be interesting to see.  I don't believe there has yet been a rush to either the Windows store to buy games, or buy PC based Xbox subscriptions.  So their revenue is still largely tied to hardware.

Fixed in my book means putting out a great product.  the regular x was not a great piece of hardware cause it was more expensive then the more powerful ps4.  MS has made the most money ever in the gaming division even trailing thier competitor by 40 million consoles.  GamePass is just printing money for them and its only going to get better.  

6 minutes ago, TomCat said:

Fixed in my book means putting out a great product.  the regular x was not a great piece of hardware cause it was more expensive then the more powerful ps4.  MS has made the most money ever in the gaming division even trailing thier competitor by 40 million consoles.  GamePass is just printing money for them and its only going to get better.  

How do you know how much money MS is making in their gaming division?  They are not breaking our gaming profits in their financial statements.  If you have insider information, please share.  I would love to see the data comparing their current profits to the height of the X360 era.

Can you share the data you have on GamePass revenue -- and what their margins look like?  I would love to see the detail, I would love to understand how many subs they have, and whether the revenue is covering the costs of licensing the games.

Only info I saw in their 2018 financials was that they called out their higher gaming revenue in 2018 vs. 2017 was "mainly from third-party title strength" (of course their 2017 revenue was down from 2016).  Of course, they also talked about their operating costs being up significantly due to gaming engineering costs.

Just now, mikechorney said:

How do you know how much money MS is making in their gaming division?  They are not breaking our gaming profits in their financial statements.  If you have insider information, please share.  I would love to see the data comparing their current profits to the height of the X360 era.

Can you share the data you have on GamePass revenue -- and what their margins look like?  I would love to see the detail, I would love to understand how many subs they have, and whether the revenue is covering the costs of licensing the games.

Only info I saw in their 2018 financials was that they called out their higher gaming revenue in 2018 vs. 2017 was "mainly from third-party title strength" (of course their 2017 revenue was down from 2016).  Of course, they also talked about their operating costs being up significantly due to gaming engineering costs.

Brad Sams

• Haha 1