Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

Speaking of reviews-in-progress:

a2VTTHmPCkxp88HjyieCM4-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Larian's latest is off to a great start and might be worth the 20-year wait.

The good news, however, is that so far this is an absurdly impressive CRPG. My dream CRPG, really. As I've fought, stolen and sang—yes, I'm a Bard—my way through the Forgotten Realms it's felt like I've been playing the Greatest Hits: the best parts of Ultima, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin… all the heavy hitters. 

Performance has largely been very good, too, but I'm playing on a beefy rig with an RTX 4090 GPU and an i9 13900K CPU, which demolishes pretty much everything. I've streamed it to my Steam Deck as well, however, and I'm impressed by how well it suits the handheld system. I intend to see how it performs natively on the Steam Deck, too, but I'm just steeling myself for the incredibly long download time first. It's not a small game.

I've encountered a few very minor bugs, like the screen going black for 30 seconds after a cutscene, but that's very rare. The worst issue was a crucial dialogue sequence that cut out early, on multiple attempts, which isn't too bad for a game of this scope.

So! I might not be ready to give it a score yet, but if it wasn't immediately obvious: Baldur's Gate 3 is utterly brilliant. So far. Let's see if it can keep this up for the next 80 hours. And I'll be updating this review-in-progress in the meantime, so come back for my thoughts on things like co-op and the titular city. Pretty much all of us at PCG are playing, too, so expect plenty of takes, features and guides on every aspect of this mammoth RPG. 

baldurs-gate-3-the-gang-1-1.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Our Baldur’s Gate 3 review tells of an RPG that gives you the tools to be the adventurer you’re meant to be - even if that is a bit of a pain sometimes.

While I do stay on the safe side when it comes to combat, the freedom of choice I’m afforded when it comes to my own character, my companions, and how I interact with the world has made Baldur’s Gate 3 a truly special experience so far. You never quite know what will happen when you wake up in your camp and head out, but, for better or worse, it’s always interesting. At the time of writing, I’ve just reached the city of Baldur’s Gate, which, as you’d expect, is a sprawling mess of buildings old and new. It astounds me just how much effort has gone into creating these areas, as even the smallest cave seems to house some kind of story element or mystery, and the larger areas are layered with their own secrets. There are times you’ll wander from the beaten path, meet somebody, and wonder just how easily you could’ve missed out on that experience – like the time I held a drinking competition with someone until they burst, or accidentally wandered into a barn, where I was greeted by a bugbear and an ogre having intimate relations. They didn’t appreciate my intrusion.

Yep, I’ll tell you, I’ve seen some things in my first 30 hours of Baldur’s Gate 3. The first act had a bit of everything, and I harbour my own regrets for missed opportunities, but I’m looking forward to seeing where my gang will go – and the glaring mistakes I’ll inevitably make in an effort to save everyone from the tadpole menace. Baldur’s Gate 3’s world is beautiful, layered and complex, and challenges you to attack it how you want. And though this is what makes it a little daunting, it’s also what makes me eager to dive back in and see where the adventure is going.

baldursgate3-reviewinprogress-blogroll-1
WWW.IGN.COM

Early impressions: There's a lot to love about Larian's latest high fantasy behemoth.

One issue video games often run into when trying to adapt the experience of playing Dungeons & Dragons on the tabletop is the freedom and imagination you get to express in overcoming problems using real-world logic. And while no game will probably ever match that level of freedom, Baldur's Gate 3 is a big step forward from the likes of Skyrim or Dragon Age. And that goes such a long way toward making the world feel more real and making me feel really smart for coming up with unconventional solutions.

The writing is strong so far, as well. (My biggest criticism of Larian's Divinity: Original Sin games was that they didn't really succeed in making me care about the plot.) Baldur's Gate 3 starts with an appropriately epic intro featuring a squid-like spaceship being chased through magic portals by dragons, and the player characters becoming infected by mind parasites that will slowly turn them all into brain-eating cthulhu monsters called mind flayers if they can't find a cure. The voice acting across the board has been excellent, too. And while I don't exactly like all of my traveling companions, they’re all very interesting with lots of secrets and rich backgrounds I've only begun to unfurl.

On the whole, I really am loving Baldur's Gate 3 so far. It definitely has some blemishes, from minor bugs to a combat system that I don't exactly adore at lower levels. But I’ve been waiting 14 years for another alignment of the planets like Dragon Age: Origins, when an old-school CRPG got a big enough budget to look like a high quality animated movie – but the design hadn't been completely steered in the wrong direction in a misguided attempt to reach a different market like the later two Dragon Ages. This is the closest anyone has ever come to recapturing that magic.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III (PC - August 3, PS5 - September 6, Xbox Series - 2024?) - Information Thread, update: reviews-in-progress posted
KPRwgRqVtPyZo46S2eqen-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

The socket stares back at me, empty. I found my way to this part of Baldur's Gate 3 almost by accident, a combination of a fight gone wrong, an ingenious solution to a puzzle, and a couple of dis

The game's scope means it's also currently proving difficult to level anything like a final verdict on Baldur's Gate 3. More than 30 hours in, and the titular city is still well over the horizon. Larian's teasing it, and not particularly gently - almost every other quest seems to end with a character who says that I should catch up with them when I make it to the city. That's a smart way of seeding what's to come, as well as gently outlining the fact that your actions (or inaction) will have consequences down the road.

For now, suffice to say that Baldur's Gate 3 feels a little bit like Larian has accomplished the impossible. This is an entire, years-long pen-and-paper roleplaying campaign realized in beautiful fidelity, in a way that brings every tiny detail of your mind's eye to life. It's a Witcher-style elevation of its source material, a game that lives and breathes its tabletop origins so deeply that to see it transfer them so completely from the page to the screen almost feels wrong. At a time when Dungeons & Dragons boasts a popularity almost unknown within its five-decade history, Baldur's Gate 3 feels primed to be held up with the best of the best, with the likes of Critical Role, Curse of Strahd, and the classic D&D CRPGs of the past; Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, and, of course, with the original Baldur's Gate. 

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

Download started! I’ll be playing hopefully in a day or two!

10mb/s here, says 17 hours left :(

wuLX9Dr3mxSN73QuuzBqkd-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Some users are reporting slowdowns, but overall, it seems to be going well.

baldurs-gate-3-crash-steam.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

As Baldur’s Gate 3 hits launch, a huge spike in Steam outages is reported, suggesting the Larian RPG is so popular it is wreaking havoc on Valve’s store.

astarion-1688033271552.png?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Baldur's Gate 3's launch is finally here and, as preloading wasn't an option, Steam is having a bit of a wobble as players race to download it.

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

wuLX9Dr3mxSN73QuuzBqkd-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Some users are reporting slowdowns, but overall, it seems to be going well.

baldurs-gate-3-crash-steam.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

As Baldur’s Gate 3 hits launch, a huge spike in Steam outages is reported, suggesting the Larian RPG is so popular it is wreaking havoc on Valve’s store.

astarion-1688033271552.png?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Baldur's Gate 3's launch is finally here and, as preloading wasn't an option, Steam is having a bit of a wobble as players race to download it.

okay maybe not the hotel then and it’ll get better later!

38 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Personally, I'm really curious as to what happens when reviewers/players get to the post-Act I content that was NOT extensively playtested during the Early Access period.

"This was the Game of the Decade until I got into Act II and it caused my house to explode."

Jokes on you: game is basically Groundhogs Day and it time loops you back to the beginning of Act 1 until you have a perfect act :sickos:

• Haha 1

Took me 58 minutes to Download.

Spent 1h19m in creating my High half-elf storm sorc.

Performance is not so good for me.

The version number thing is a HUGE mistake.

Already saved scummed because I got a critical failure on my second dice roll.

I laughed at the ending of the intro cuz

Spoiler

character got smacked by a rock and fell out of a space ship.

I also touched every button. Oops.

My Character

Spoiler

b4adcaad8fb8c21a16519e8a0b6803d4.jpg

9a5842a79e1b65946463f1c3704d3043.jpg