Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

PC Gamer seems to be "all-in" on BGIII:

RvqeVhTzrR5RKFcBFGCsFF-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Whether you're all about enormous druid guys who can turn into bears or going on dates with hellspawn, there seems to be something in Baldur's Gate 3 for everyone.

tZegp6poPfUDw5fZbDU7jE-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I don't think anyone's tried doing something quite like this in a big RPG in over 20 years.

qQrge93xA7dVaZGTRHVozU-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Larian confirmed that respec is on during today’s BG3 livestream.

On 7/8/2023 at 3:52 PM, stepee said:

ok I wasn’t in before but now things are looking promising

Larian is pretty famous for their humor in games and wacky gameplay. Their games--at least since Divinity Original Sin 1--always come across as passion projects from people who love gaming and the gaming community. Prior to TotK I would have given Divinity Original Sin 2 the nod for the most fun systems allowing for emergent gameplay. Even if you're not into turn-based games, it might be worth giving their games a try sometime. 

• Halal 2

baldurs-gate-3-bear-scene-steam-sale-bg3
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Baldur’s Gate 3 has rapidly ascended the Steam sale charts after a Larian livestream showed a sexual tryst between a vampire and a Druid in bear form.

The Baldur’s Gate 3 bear scene has immediately become one of the best examples of why I choose to spend my life writing about videogames. It’s romantic, it’s imaginative, it’s funny – following its reveal at the Larian Panel from Hell showcase, frankly, the Baldur’s Gate 3 release date cannot get here soon enough. And it seems like the rest of the RPG game world agrees. Following the showcase, and the tender love scene between Astarion and Halsin, Baldur’s Gate 3 has leapt up the Steam sale charts to sit comfortably above the likes of Call of Duty, Cyberpunk 2077, and Grand Theft Auto 5.

Based on all the Baldur’s Gate 3 Astarion information that we’ve gathered so far, he’s a High Elf Rogue with a vampiric past, who also boasts high constitution and intelligence stats. In the Panel from Hell showcase, broadcast on Friday, July 7, we see Astarion become intimately acquainted with another of the Baldur’s Gate 3 classes, in the form of the Druid, Halsin.

What could be an awkward or played-for-laughs sequence in other games becomes a well-written, passionate love scene in Baldur’s Gate 3. Eventually, Halsin loses his composure and involuntarily transforms into a bear.

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

8 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
LaGpdKfSG6ioAHM3jQCbvE-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

How many playthroughs can you squeeze in between now and the day you die?

As much as I love Larian, this won't be that meaningful.

If there are only 14 independent outcomes featured in the ending that each can only go one of two ways, then you're up to 16384 possible endings and you'd only have to play the game twice to see the resolution to each of those 14 outcomes (once with them all in one state and once with them all in the other).

BG3 probably has some interaction between choice and it may be more than 2 ways for each to go, but the point is cross products make big numbers from small numbers.

• True 1

Just now, legend said:

If there are only 14 independent outcomes featured in the ending that each can only go one of two ways, then you're up to 16384 possible endings and you'd only have to play the game twice to see the resolution to each of those 14 outcomes (once with them all in one state and once with them all in the other).

BG3 probably has some interaction between choice and it may be more than 2 ways for each to go, but the point is cross products make big numbers from small numbers.

Calculating Zach Galifianakis GIF by filmeditor

Playing early access and loving it. I'm not a huge D&D/TT player (I've done a few small campaigns with friends), but this is great. Love the RP element and just ignoring min/maxing stuff. Larian has definitely made it fun to actually interact with people and think about how you want to converse.

7 hours ago, legend said:

There's only so much you can write narratively & code for... what we're getting is already fairly generous. I'd also say this is about at much as we can reasonably expect until games are able to be programed on the fly by a generative AI that mimics voice actors.

3 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

There's only so much you can write narratively & code for... what we're getting is already fairly generous. I'd also say this is about at much as we can reasonably expect until games are able to be programed on the fly by a generative AI that mimics voice actors.

To be clear, I didn't mean what I said to be a criticism of the game. Just a warning to keep expectations in check.

14 minutes ago, legend said:

To be clear, I didn't mean what I said to be a criticism of the game. Just a warning to keep expectations in check.

All good. People keep expecting a lot, especially with the recent hype that the game has gotten so you are on point with that. If anything it's irresponsible reporting/marketing if they are saying that. In my book, if they are anywhere near what Witcher 3 had for ending variety (main game, especially) with where  the story ended up we're in for a treat. 

Heck, I just played the very first section of the EA game and was already interested in the side characters. I had to make myself stop playing since the save file won't be compatible and I didn't want to waste hours, spoil, or burn out on the game. Really looking forward to Aug 3 after burning myself on D4.

• Like 2

Just now, Dexterryu said:

All good. People keep expecting a lot, especially with the recent hype that the game has gotten so you are on point with that. If anything it's irresponsible reporting/marketing if they are saying that. In my book, if they are anywhere near what Witcher 3 had for ending variety (main game, especially) with where  the story ended up we're in for a treat. 

Heck, I just played the very first section of the EA game and was already interested in the side characters. I had to make myself stop playing since the save file won't be compatible and I didn't want to waste hours, spoil, or burn out on the game. Really looking forward to Aug 3 after burning myself on D4.

Yeah I played through all of the early access when EA first released. But I deliberately haven't played any of the massive updates since then because I already played enough to know it will be great and I didn't want to feel like I was retreading ground when the full release came out.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III (PC - August 3, PS5 - September 6, Xbox Series - ?) - Information Thread, update: Class informational videos posted

I've never played a BG, I'm not too interested in this cuz I kinda don't like the characters I have seen so far, but I have heard you can kill off anyone you don't like immediately so that raises my interest. Definitely one of those games where I'm waiting for spoilers so can make an ideal play-thru should the spoilers make the game seem worth playing at all.

Never played Baldur Gate games, but if it is using 5E there are not much drawbacks to the various races.

Dragonborn get a bump in strength and charisma. They get to pick a breath weapon like fire or acid to use in combat and then you are resistant to that damage.

The one drawback is they don’t get dark vision, but not sure how the game handles that. 

I do love a Dragonborn paladin since they use strength and charisma for their abilities. 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I know very little of D&D, what's the downside of making my character a Dragonborn? They seem neat.

In classic D&D rules, different races have different starting bonuses. For the full list, it's worth checking out DnD Beyond which has all the rules for everything. The race bonuses can be found here (mostly just look at the first section for the races from the standard 5e handbook)

og-character.png
WWW.DNDBEYOND.COM

Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) Fifth Edition (5e) Races. A comprehensive list of all official character races for Fifth Edition.

However, in the DnD expansion Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, they introduced the "Custom Lineage" race where you can basically decide what race you want and choose your own bonuses. I believe BGIII is also supporting a form of custom lineage in which case you can be pretty flexible to your race choice without it compromising gameplay style. This article seems to support that, but I haven't seen anything definitive.

baldurs-gate-3-racial-bonuses-character-
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

A Baldur’s Gate 3 screenshot seemingly suggests that the popular Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything ruleset might allow for more customizable racial attributes.

• Hugs 1