Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

I wouldn't really be interested in min-maxing with racials, and since this is a video game it is probably pretty safe to pick your favorite race + class I'd imagine. Interested in either a human barb or human/half-elf storm sorc. Warlock seems like it has melee potential, and I'd be more interested in playing a type of unholy paladin so to speak. Tho, a half-elf wizard seems very cool too. The Dark Urge seems very interesting and I might be inclined to pick that rather than a full of custom character. Not really sure how much story a custom character gets and I will always care more about my custom PC than some premade.

e:

Spoiler

As long as The Dark Urge isn't a pre-existing or reincarnated character, it looks to be a solid choice for me. Also wouldn't want the game to do something like, "Oh you are actually this guy named Steven Lars and you have a wife and kid back home." That's the kind of stuff I need to get spoiled on.

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I wouldn't really be interested in min-maxing with racials, and since this is a video game it is probably pretty safe to pick your favorite race + class I'd imagine.

DkoTzAAHUMeTBHDzocVS54-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

For this one, let's all spend less time checking our maths and more time enjoying the adventure.

There's something about D&D videogames in particular that drives that urge to min-max, to pursue the perfect build. I can already see you all gearing up to do it in Baldur's Gate 3, and I get it. With a couple of weeks left til launch, what else is there to do but pore over skills and feats? But I'm telling you now: you'll have way more fun in Baldur's Gate 3 if you don't min-max your character. Let me tell you why.

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I wouldn't really be interested in min-maxing with racials, and since this is a video game it is probably pretty safe to pick your favorite race + class I'd imagine. Interested in either a human barb or human/half-elf storm sorc. Warlock seems like it has melee potential, and I'd be more interested in playing a type of unholy paladin so to speak. Tho, a half-elf wizard seems very cool too. The Dark Urge seems very interesting and I might be inclined to pick that rather than a full of custom character. Not really sure how much story a custom character gets and I will always care more about my custom PC than some premade.

e:

Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

You can get away with not minmaxing your race, but I would not pick Warlock if you want to be a melee character. If you want an unholy paladin do an Oath-breaker Paladin.

Or multiclass with Warlock -- that can be legit and very powerful.

• Halal 1

On 7/19/2023 at 10:33 AM, Firewithin said:

Im never going to finish this game and will spend 3 hours in character creator when it fully releases lol

My experience with basically every game in this genre:

1. Get overwhelmed with the character creator, marvel at all the different possibilities, spend way too much time creating my character(s)
  2. Trudge through the opening lore dump/tutorial, get overwhelmed by all the fiddly bits of the UI, controls, and game mechanics 
  3. Once I’m a couple hours into the game, decide I hate my character, but there’s no way I’m going to go through all that again
  4. Think “I’m still interested in this style of game, but this one juuust isn’t for me”
  • True 1

I've put about 20hrs into the early access over the past week, and this game is legit. Possible GOTY contender for me, even just the EA. Like...the things you can do and the choices you can make and the game just keeps going in a new direction...it's crazy. Tired of helping the druids (good guys)? Just make a deal with the Goblin camp leader and join their side. Amazing game so far.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've put about 20hrs into the early access over the past week, and this game is legit. Possible GOTY contender for me, even just the EA. Like...the things you can do and the choices you can make and the game just keeps going in a new direction...it's crazy. Tired of helping the druids (good guys)? Just make a deal with the Goblin camp leader and join their side. Amazing game so far.

I didn't really enjoy divinity original sin 2. Is there no hope for me with this one? 

13 hours ago, Hurricane Game said:

I didn't really enjoy divinity original sin 2. Is there no hope for me with this one? 

There's enough "Divinity DNA" in BGIII that I'd say that there probably is very little hope for you :p

However, I'm sure that there will be many comparison videos highlighting the similarities/differences between D:OSII and BGIII after release to make a more informed decision!

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

17 hours ago, TheLeon said:

My experience with basically every game in this genre:

1. Get overwhelmed with the character creator, marvel at all the different possibilities, spend way too much time creating my character(s)
  2. Trudge through the opening lore dump/tutorial, get overwhelmed by all the fiddly bits of the UI, controls, and game mechanics 
  3. Once I’m a couple hours into the game, decide I hate my character, but there’s no way I’m going to go through all that again
  4. Think “I’m still interested in this style of game, but this one juuust isn’t for me”

Good thing they allow for a full respec/reclass... especially for your #3. 

I recall enjoying DOS1's combat, but I could not get into the story and I hated the dual main character thing. I just wanted my created character to be the special boy with the powers. I didn't bother getting DOS2 because it didn't seem like your created character had any relevance and that ugly lizard was the real MC. This is why The Dark Urge appears like it might be right up my alley.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I recall enjoying DOS1's combat, but I could not get into the story and I hated the dual main character thing. I just wanted my created character to be the special boy with the powers. I didn't bother getting DOS2 because it didn't seem like your created character had any relevance and that ugly lizard was the real MC. This is why The Dark Urge appears like it might be right up my alley.

FWIW, The Red Prince was not the "real MC" in DOS2. In fact, you can completely abandon him or any of the possible party members in the very first act. All of the party members can also be made your main, or you can create a custom one. You probably could have just mained Ifan and been happy.

The story and presentation of it in DOS2 was improved over DOS1, but the story presentation is BGIII is going to trounce both. It's much more immersive this time around.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I haven't watched this one, but just a PSA for people new to DnD: the Fighter class in 5e is pretty awesome. In plenty of other RPGs (even older DnD), the fighter was tough but boring with very few things to do other than attack. Not so in 5e. Take the Battle Master subclass and you get a shit ton of different strategic skills for combat. There are other good fighter subclasses, but Battle Master is so good just in terms of giving you different ways to do things, it's hard for me to recommend anything else.

43 minutes ago, legend said:

Take the Battle Master subclass and you get a shit ton of different strategic skills for combat. There are other good fighter subclasses, but Battle Master is so good just in terms of giving you different ways to do things, it's hard for me to recommend anything else.

The video specifically references the Battle Master subclass and the presenters says that it's a "personal favorite" of his.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I was thinking of going Rogue...but strangely, it kind of seems like Rangers are the better stealth/assassin class in BG3.

Monk Way of the Shadow is also pretty great for an assassin build. At 6th level you can fucking teleport to the shadows and with the right feats (e.g., Mobile) you can hit and run without provoking an opportunity attack.