The Boys OT - Getting the Band Back Together (Update: Season 2 premiering Sept. 4)

Slug

8 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Just watched episode one and really enjoyed it. Given the warnings at the beginning of the show I thought the assault was gonna be really uncomfortable. I take it in the book that scene was a lot more gratuitous?

Book spoilers I guess

Spoiler

It was actually Homelander she had to go down on. Initially. Then A-Train and Black Noir showed up, dropped trou.

I prefer the way the show handled it. Homelander is already enough of an asshole so it gave a bit of character to The Deep.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:44 PM, Kal-El814 said:

The book was every single indulgent, “edgy,” “dark,” trope masquerading as a realistic / deep take on superheroes. It’s peak Ennis / aughts / bro comic writing and I’m kind of flabbergasted it got made into a 2019 show given how problematic almost every single aspect of it is. Are you ready for the umpteenth male take on how a woman responds to sexual assault... but this time she has POWERS? The Boys has you covered. It’s never more insightful than, “what if superheroes but BAD?”

Preacher had stuff to say. The Boys never did. The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen started coming out 31 years ago, I can’t believe people continue to be amused by worse versions of those. 

I'm going to assume that you haven't seen it yet.  

I don't necessarily disagree with anyone you're saying (although I have not read the comics), but the first season was solid.  Certainly not worth comparing to any higher-minded material, but it's free of pretension, somewhat self-aware in all the right ways, and is a downright blast at times.  It looks like Urban is having a blast in leaning into Butcher's scenery-chewing bluster, and he's not alone - I'm not terribly familiar with most of the main characters, but they really nailed the casting from top to bottom.

Glad to hear that the show was picked up for a second season; looking forward to seeing the direction the story takes based upon the first season ended.

And yes, the episode descriptions in Amazon are amazing.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

I don't necessarily disagree with anyone you're saying (although I have not read the comics), but the first season was solid.  Certainly not worth comparing to any higher-minded material, but it's free of pretension, somewhat self-aware in all the right ways, and is a downright blast at times.  It looks like Urban is having a blast in leaning into Butcher's scenery-chewing bluster, and he's not alone - I'm not terribly familiar with most of the main characters, but they really nailed the casting from top to bottom.

Glad to hear that the show was picked up for a second season; looking forward to seeing the direction the story takes based upon the first season ended.

I'm only 3 episodes in but the comic was WAY edgier/try hard trash than the show. Every change they have made so far has been for the better. 

7 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

I’ve seen it. I think it’s fine. Urban does seem to enjoy saying diabolical a lot, and he’s quite good at it. Shue does a great job. Most of the performances and the direction are really good. 

Some spoilers below...

Spoiler

That said, I think the characters and their relationships are kind of very badly and / or lazily realized? I think flipping The Deep from a sexual assaulting gaslighter to an attempted sympathetic joke in the span of a few episodes is kind of lousy. There are 6 female characters of consequence in this season. One is fridged in the first 10 minutes, another is fridged halfway through, one is sexually assaulted almost immediately, one is traumatized to the point of silence, one has her face meted off, and Maeve has almost nothing to do. The main “good” relationship in the show involves Hughie gaslighting Starlight for most of the season and at the end it’s just... fine? What’s Butcher’s main motivation? He believed his wife was raped. 

It’s just every single late 90s / early aughts dark comic cliche. Which... Garth Ennis, I get it. Again it’s fine and I get why people like it but I think it’s pretty non-self aware, actually. 

On 7/31/2019 at 12:55 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Just finished it... man that was surprisingly good. They changed A LOT from the comics, the majority of it for the better and I look forward to the next season if there is one. The villains are just as interesting as the good guys in this. Homelander is fucking awesome.

After finishing the season, I love this show and it inspired me to pick up the comics (13 issues in, and it's also very good, though very different). Homelander, for all his douchiness, is the fucking bomb on this show. And Bradley Cooper, er, uh, I mean, this actor who totally looks related to Bradley Cooper does an outstanding job in the role in being both terrifying and gross. 

"I can do whatever the fuck I want." And he does lol 

The Seven are so damn interesting here that I kinda want a prequel show just all about them, no 'Boys'. I want to see these assholes sitting around chatting, posing for social media pictures, and begrudgingly saving the day at the behest of

Gus Fring

. Each character is done that well. 

In season 2, I'd like to see more of Queen Mauve(sp?), she just kinda disappears for most of the plot. I'd like to see more Black Noir as well, really get into the Superman/Wonder Woman/Batman "Trinity" aspect of the group. 

Restarting the season now...

4 minutes ago, TheRealSmallville said:

After finishing the season, I love this show and it inspired me to pick up the comics (13 issues in, and it's also very good, though very different). Homelander, for all his douchiness, is the fucking bomb on this show. And Bradley Cooper, er, uh, I mean, this actor who totally looks related to Bradley Cooper does an outstanding job in the role in being both terrifying and gross. 

"I can do whatever the fuck I want." And he does lol 

The Seven are so damn interesting here that I kinda want a prequel show just all about them, no 'Boys'. I want to see these assholes sitting around chatting, posing for social media pictures, and begrudgingly saving the day. Each character is done that well. 

In season 2, I'd like to see more of Queen Mauve(sp?), she just kinda disappears for most of the plot. I'd like to see more Black Noir as well, really get into the Superman/Wonder Woman/Batman "Trinity" aspect of the group. 

Restarting the season now...

Wait until you finish the comic to see where it goes... it's fucking nuts. I'm proud to say I own the entire run including spin offs.

Just finished it last night and LOVED it!!! As someone else said, I’d love a series with just the Seven. They were all so interesting and I loved all their stories. And Homelander. My god. He’s gotta be up their for one of my favorite characters of all time.

Spoiler

That final move, to save Butchers life just to completely mind fuck him, was absolutely incredible 😂

Finished it tonight. Homelander is the scariest character I have seen in a long while, every time he was on screen I had an overwhelming sense of dread. It is kind of surprising this has not been explored in live action before, what do you do when confronted with an unstoppable character that can do anything he wants. It is not just that he all powerful physically and a completely amoral psychopath it is that he is smart too and not your typical I have 6 doctorates by the time I am 20 usual comicbook smart but the planning ahead and seeing the big picture type of smart.

Based on the very limited things we have seen in this season I do not think they are going to handle him the same way he ends up in the comic which is for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked it. Kinda predictable in a lot of ways--e.g. A-Train killing his girlfriend, Homelander lasering Stillwell's face off at the end--but the characters were more than interesting enough to carry things through any plot weaknesses.

One thing I couldn't help but notice: Butcher is actually supposed to be English, right? It was kind of weird because Urban's accent was all over the place, and doubly weird because he can hold an American accent just find. Maybe he gets thrown off by English and New Zealand accents being a bit closer to each other than English and American accents? But whatever the problem was, they should have just made the character Kiwi and let Urban use his natural accent.

30 minutes ago, johnny said:

Karl Urban is from New Zealand so I assumed they just decided to make Butcher from there as well. 

There was a moment where someone, I think M.M., called him a limey. I actually didn't realize the character wasn't Kiwi until that moment.

On 8/18/2019 at 1:34 PM, johnny said:

Karl Urban is from New Zealand so I assumed they just decided to make Butcher from there as well. 

I assumed the same thing. That’s why I got a laugh when Homelander says “I love the accent” That actor also happens to be a Kiwi himself

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...