The Boys OT - Getting the Band Back Together (Update: Season 2 premiering Sept. 4)

Slug

11 hours ago, Jason said:

So is this quiet because everyone is waiting for the complete season to be put and then binge it? 

There’s also just not a lot to say about this season so far? It’s been 4 episodes, only about 1.5 episodes of stuff has happened, and everyone other than MM is behaving like a complete moron at all times.

Unless I’m forgetting something, even in-show stuff doesn’t make sense.

Spoiler

Edgar blamed Stillwell for the whole Compound V thing, but if Liberty was active 70 years ago and was known as a superhero, how does that explanation even pass a sniff test?

17 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

There’s also just not a lot to say about this season so far? It’s been 4 episodes, only about 1.5 episodes of stuff has happened, and everyone other than MM is behaving like a complete moron at all times.

Unless I’m forgetting something, even in-show stuff doesn’t make sense.

Hide contents

Edgar blamed Stillwell for the whole Compound V thing, but if Liberty was active 70 years ago and was known as a superhero, how does that explanation even pass a sniff test?

This is what's annoying me the most.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

So is this quiet because everyone is waiting for the complete season to be put and then binge it? 

Yeah, I like to do one show at a time. I decided to start with Lovecraft County... and now I guess I'm watching Silicon Valley for the first time too. More entertaining than I was expecting. Looking forward to it.

I'll start Boys when Lovecraft County is done.

5 hours ago, Dre801 said:

If Deep and his so far, asinine storyline were completely subtracted from the show, I don't  think any of that would be missed. . . .unless this is really building up to something that makes me go, "Holy shit" by the end of the season.

I think it’s more to do with introducing that church than it is about “redeeming” The Deep.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think it’s more to do with introducing that church than it is about “redeeming” The Deep.

You're probably right, and perhaps the church as a whole will become interesting down the line; seems they want an agent who's in the Seven for whatever reason.

8 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

You're probably right, and perhaps the church as a whole will become interesting down the line; seems they want an agent who's in the Seven for whatever reason.

The church is basically Scientology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

Tom Cruise ‘absolutely’ had Scientology audition girlfriends for him, says defector

12 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

The Deep is so stupid that it's hard to care about anything that happens to him and using his enrollment in the church as a way for them to sneak into The Seven seems like it's double dipping in the idea that The Seven is closely tied in with religion already.

Homelander NEEDS an Emmy or something. This guy is stealing the show... Homelander was nowhere near this inetresting in the comic. His Homelander is closer to another Superman analog from the 80's named Public Spirit who was the antagonist in Marshal Law. In fact I'm pretty certain alot of the inspiration for The Boys came from THAT comic.

On 9/18/2020 at 5:57 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Homelander NEEDS an Emmy or something. This guy is stealing the show... Homelander was nowhere near this inetresting in the comic. His Homelander is closer to another Superman analog from the 80's named Public Spirit who was the antagonist in Marshal Law. In fact I'm pretty certain alot of the inspiration for The Boys came from THAT comic.

He's really the bright spot of the season, I just wish that they were giving him and the rest of the characters something better to do.

Black Noir getting trapped on a roof by a potential gas leak then having the fucking house blow up while nobody else in the neighborhood gave a shit at all, and then him slow walking his way to kill Butcher after establishing that Noir is too fast for them to escape is one of the dumbest things in a very dumb season so far. Why on earth would Butcher's plan to blackmail Vought work at all? From the public's POV, Butcher is a wanted terrorist and Storm Front's entire arc is about how easily the public can be manipulated. Frenchie has literally nothing to do other than follow and surprise kiss Kimiko. Unlike last season, Starlight isn't being manipulated by someone she trusts, she's just dumb as hell. Maeve had Homelander overhear her phone conversation earlier this season and in this episode she's just... openly talking about planning to take out Homelander on the set of a movie that he's a part of???

This show is in a really weird spot because The Boys have no powers at all and any confrontation between them and their targets is incredibly lopsided. There's no trickery like there was with Translucent, they're outclassed by literally everyone they want to fuck with. There are three episodes left in this season and the only thread they have to tug on is that Storm Front used to be Liberty. If Storm Front didn't seem to care when she was confronted with that, why the hell should we care?

Other than Karl Urban chewing scenery and Anthony Starr killing it every time he's on screen, this is a really bizarre season thus far.

Hopefully The Boys get some compound V by the end of the season... having them be normal dudes in this world made ZERO sense to me because in the comics, even though they were all strong, it was clearly stated that none of them were at "Seven levels" of strength and that the only supe in their world that was even CLOSE to Homelander was possibly Stormfront (who was a Shazam/Thor knockoff). I've seen it said that they wanted The Boys to be underdogs which is why they didn't give them powers, but they made them TOO lopsidedly underpowered compared to the Seven in my opinion. I think that's why The Boys seem like supporting characters in their own show compared to The Seven. They don't even have the protection of the government in the show. That said I do enjoy the characters for the most part and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season pans out.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is definitely true... same thing happened to the Mandalorian last year too. It's like folks forgot how to watch TV. 

Ahh good point. I forgot how brain dead people got after the few character based episodes they did. Then by then end...what do you know!?!? They all fit into the greater narrative and in the context of the whole season they were really good. 

1 minute ago, NeoJoe said:

I think I missed something in the episode last night...

Hide contents

Spoiler

Why was the CIA lady so mad at Lamplighter at the end of the episode? He double crossed her in the past when he was spying for her?

Spoiler

He killed her kids.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We sure about that?

Hide contents

I thought it was some crime boss' kids he killed. Somebody close to her died but I don't think it was her kid.

I’m pretty sure they established it in the first season. 

Spoiler

LL even stated that he thought she was in the bed