The Boys OT - Getting the Band Back Together (Update: Season 2 premiering Sept. 4)

Slug

Minor nitpick, but I still don't get why they didn't just change Butcher to being Kiwi if Urban can't consistently do an English accent. Being specifically English isn't particularly important to Butcher's character, right?

Same shit with Lena in Supergirl and McGrath not being able to avoid slipping back to her Irish accent...I mean hell, Lena's supposed to be adopted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Not a fan of this The Deep storyline so far.  

Trying to do any kind of redemptive / self-improvement arc on the character introduced to us as someone who coerces someone else into blowing him is a weird fucking play. Also it's odd that Stormfront is played by a Jewish actress and her two main traits seem to be virulent racism and being a feminist? This show may be badly written. :p

I'm interested in seeing where the rest of season 2 ends up but after the first three episodes, I'm not sure this show knows what it wants to be? Season 1 cashed in on good casting, shock value, and slick production. We're used to the cast and the show looking good, but when the shocking stuff becomes expected, I don't know that there's enough substance there to carry things forward? Everyone in this season so far seems to be doing the stupidest thing possible at every moment with the exception of Storm Front.

Then again, what's out so far is more highly rated on metacritic than the first season, so what the fuck do I know about anything.

• Thanks 1

I liked the first 3 episodes. Seems like a lot going on and I'm not really understanding the boys' endgame now other than helping Butcher. Yeah, The Deep story is not interesting. Seems an odd pick for a redemption arc.

Questions:

Is it just me or is Maeve severely underused? She's supposed to be the second toughest hero second only to Homelander but I can't even remember her doing anything cool other than stopping that truck one time in S1.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I think I missed it but went back to watch and still didn't get it but who killed that lady by blowing her head up?

57 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Trying to do any kind of redemptive / self-improvement arc on the character introduced to us as someone who coerces someone else into blowing him is a weird fucking play. Also it's odd that Stormfront is played by a Jewish actress and her two main traits seem to be virulent racism and being a feminist? This show may be badly written. :p

Potential comic spoilers that I accidentally came across when reading about the characters way back when:

Spoiler

Apparently Stormfront is a Neo Nazi which makes her casting that much more perplexing.

9 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Potential comic spoilers that I accidentally came across when reading about the characters way back when:

Spoiler
  Hide contents

Apparently Stormfront is a Neo Nazi which makes her casting that much more perplexing.

I mean...

Spoiler

She went out of her way to hurt black people in that apartment building and called the Asian dude she killed a slur, so they're leaning into it here, too. The name is such an odd choice given that The Seven are outwardly portrayed as very heroic and Storm Front is an obviously problematic name. :p

17 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Is it just me or is Maeve severely underused? She's supposed to be the second toughest hero second only to Homelander but I can't even remember her doing anything cool other than stopping that truck one time in S1.

Hide contents
Spoiler

I think I missed it but went back to watch and still didn't get it but who killed that lady by blowing her head up?

Maeve is pissing me off a bit too. I know Homelander hadn't been around for a little while at that point, but taking a call from the person she's trying to protect in the meeting room is fucking dumb.

Also I don't think we know who did the thing in your spoiler.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I mean...

Hide contents

She went out of her way to hurt black people in that apartment building and called the Asian dude she killed a slur, so they're leaning into it here, too. The name is such an odd choice given that The Seven are outwardly portrayed as very heroic and Storm Front is an obviously problematic name. :p

Maeve is pissing me off a bit too. I know Homelander hadn't been around for a little while at that point, but taking a call from the person she's trying to protect in the meeting room is fucking dumb.

Also I don't think we know who did the thing in your spoiler.

Totally agreed on the Maeve thing. I wonder if she can even hold her own to Homelander? I assume not from the way she acts behind his back. Where as Stormfront gives me zap Homelander into the next dimension vibes. lol

And thank you for that answer on the spoiler thing. Kept feeling like I was dumb for missing something. 

On 9/5/2020 at 11:08 PM, Dre801 said:

Butcher is more likable in the graphic novels.  He's such a cynical dick on the show.

He's a cynical dick in the comics too... I mean did you read the whole story and see how it ended?

I'm watching the first episode of season 2 right now...

Spoiler

The blind character Blindspot.  Marvel had a character named Blindspot who was almost identical, Blind, Asian, MArtial artist... he was Daredevil's protege not too long ago.

I wonder how they got around that legally.