~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

6 hours ago, johnny said:

Going through the visual dictionary, Dominic Monaghan’s character has two whole pages dedicated to him. Rose has barely half a page lol. 

I mean, she was never that great of a character (though neither was Monaghan's character), and very few actually care that she was barely used for this movie. 

I really don't get why a  mostly poorly written character who was completely extraneous to the plot, aside from one good line, is such a sore spot for you. She certainly didn't deserve the hate she got, but the most memorable part of her character is that her whole side plot with Finn should have never existed. She is one of the few parts of TLJ that really didn't need to exist. She adds nothing to the plot, and has one line that could have been delivered by any number of characters, especially Luke to Leia before he faced down Kylo. 

On top of that, her and Finn had no chemistry and the whole kiss even seemed forced and one sided. In fact, the whole suicide run seems to have been created to give her that one line? It doesn't serve any part of the plot, much like the whole Canto Blight side quest, it felt unneeded. Most of the people who seem to want her the most, seem to want her to just directly spite everyone who hated her. Thats really not a good reason to shoehorn in a bad character. 

And im willing to listen to why you want more of her, but you haven't given a reason other than trying to claim, contrary to evidence that she was cut to appease haters, so the opposite should have happened?

20 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I mean, she was never that great of a character (though neither was Monaghan's character), and very few actually care that she was barely used for this movie. 

I really don't get why a  mostly poorly written character who was completely extraneous to the plot, aside from one good line, is such a sore spot for you. She certainly didn't deserve the hate she got, but the most memorable part of her character is that her whole side plot with Finn should have never existed. She is one of the few parts of TLJ that really didn't need to exist. She adds nothing to the plot, and has one line that could have been delivered by any number of characters, especially Luke to Leia before he faced down Kylo. 

On top of that, her and Finn had no chemistry and the whole kiss even seemed forced and one sided. In fact, the whole suicide run seems to have been created to give her that one line? It doesn't serve any part of the plot, much like the whole Canto Blight side quest, it felt unneeded. Most of the people who seem to want her the most, seem to want her to just directly spite everyone who hated her. Thats really not a good reason to shoehorn in a bad character. 

And im willing to listen to why you want more of her, but you haven't given a reason other than trying to claim, contrary to evidence that she was cut to appease haters, so the opposite should have happened?

Go to bed apoc

spacer.png

• Haha 1

"I think it would be a bad misreading to think that that was somehow me and J.J. having an argument with Rian."

One of the many questions going into The Rise of Skywalker was how it would interact with the divisive previous installment, Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi. Some Rise of Skywalker audience members have argued that Luke Skywalker's line — "A Jedi's weapon deserves more respect" — is a swipe at Johnson’s decision to have Luke toss his storied lightsaber aside in Last Jedi. Without hesitation, Terrio says otherwise.

That’s exactly it. Those people who see it as a meta-argument between J.J. and Rian are missing the point, I think. At the end of The Last Jedi, Luke has changed. When people look at that, I feel that they misread the ending of The Last Jedi. Throughout The Last Jedi, Luke is stuck, just as so many of the characters in The Empire Strikes Back were stuck. The Falcon’s hyperdrive is literally stuck. The Last Jedi is a really strong middle act because it seems like everyone is spinning their wheels and stuck in certain ways — just as they are in The Empire Strikes Back. I mean that in the sense of everyone is trying to move forward, but as in any middle act, they can’t quite get there.

When Luke says, “A Jedi’s weapon deserves more respect” in Episode IX, that’s Luke speaking. That’s his own character. He’s making fun of himself. He’s saying to Rey, “Please don’t make the same mistake that I did.” That’s another theme of the film. How do we learn from our ancestors? How do we learn from our parents? How do we learn from the previous generation? How do we learn from all the good things that they did but not repeat their mistakes? In that moment, it truly is a character moment because we quite deliberately set up the same situation of tossing a saber, but this time, Luke is there to save Rey from making a bad choice. I think it would be a bad misreading to think that that was somehow me and J.J. having an argument with Rian. It was more like we were in dialogue with Rian by using what Luke did at the beginning of The Last Jedi to now say that history will not repeat itself and all these characters have grown.

At the end of The Last Jedi, Luke sacrificed his life to save the Resistance, inspire the next generation of heroes (broom boys/girls) and spark the rest of the galaxy to rise up and fight. A year later in The Rise of Skywalker, Poe mentions twice how the galaxy is still afraid and in need of hope. Why did Luke’s sacrifice fail to provide the hope that the galaxy needed to join the fight, something Lando ultimately pulled off in the third act?

I don't want to over-explain our intentions in the film, and I'd leave it to the audience to draw causal connections between events. But, I will say this: there's no reason to think that Luke's sacrifice wasn't what inspired the galaxy. Lando rounded up the allies, but clearly something has changed in the galaxy since the Battle of Crait. The galaxy answers the call this time. I can't speak for anyone except myself, but in The Last Jedi, we are given a privileged moment with the children on Canto Bight. The audience understands — though perhaps the Resistance does not yet understand — that something is changing in the galaxy at that moment. In my mind at least, the legend of Skywalker and of his sacrifice is taking root in the consciousness of the galaxy. Again, I won't presume to decode the film, but when the galaxy answers this time around, I sure as hell wouldn't contradict anyone who draws a connection between the sacrifice of Skywalker, the final scene in TLJ, and the galaxy coming when called at the climax of TROS. It's all one story.

I'm not going to argue that Rose in TLJ is the most brilliant, essential character in the galaxy, but I enjoyed her. I don't think she needed to be a main character in ROS on the level of Rey, Kylo, and Finn, but here's an idea: the Resistance is down to like 3 ships at the start of this movie. The Falcon is super important. Maybe bring a mechanic on board. She can even stay on the ship when they go out adventuring. I think that makes a lot more sense for her character, and it would be an easy way to give her a slightly bigger role. Merry is already at the base looking at computer monitors, Rose doesn't need to be there too. 

10 hours ago, Brick said:

I don't think Disney caved and catered to the racists, do we really we really think Disney cares what a bunch of asshole white supremacists think?

This is the company that refuses to put gay characters in their movies for fear of losing money internationally, and goes as far as cutting gay character moments in ROS in Asian markets. So yes, I believe that they will cater to racists if it thinks it will make them more money.

41 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I'm not going to argue that Rose in TLJ is the most brilliant, essential character in the galaxy, but I enjoyed her. I don't think she needed to be a main character in ROS on the level of Rey, Kylo, and Finn, but here's an idea: the Resistance is down to like 3 ships at the start of this movie. The Falcon is super important. Maybe bring a mechanic on board. She can even stay on the ship when they go out adventuring. I think that makes a lot more sense for her character, and it would be an easy way to give her a slightly bigger role. Merry is already at the base looking at computer monitors, Rose doesn't need to be there too. 

The issue is, as I see it, and some may disagree, but Rose was a casting choice was to add diversity among the characters. She helps some feel more connected to the stories.  So even if it isn’t what it looks like, sidelining her can make people feel there is a message that if internet trolls make enough noise, bigotry will be rewarded. 

She could have been handled better if they really wanted to. 

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They had to reset the board because Rian killed Snoke and turned Hux into a bumbling boob. JJ had always planned for Kylo Ren to turn back to the light side.  He needed a villain.

People say this, but why? There are tonnes of great movies out there where one of the main characters struggles with their past, and turns back to the side of good without needing a larger threat to team up against. There is great story in internal conflict, and Driver is one of the best actors of his generation to show that conflict.

A (very simple) example of such a conflict would be: Have ROS take place a year or two after TLJ with a resurgent Resistance. Have Ben be completely obsessed with Rey and finding her, and turning her. Have Hux and others plan against Ben as they see him and his obsession as a liability to their new-found domination of the galaxy. Ben struggles to maintain command of the FO while needing to turn Rey. Have Rey fight him while the Resistance takes on the FO under Hux (while Hux also tries to kill Ben), and have Ben realize that he could have helped build a new order with Rey from the beginning if he'd just dropped the villain aspect. He can still save Rey and her friends by killing Hux, etc, but they don't need to be a giant threat. You could also still work in the dyad aspect by having Rey neuter him by taking away his (and her) force abilities or something, leaving him alive at the end but not a threat, and on the path towards redemption.

I realize that it's Star Wars and not Star Drama, but I think TLJ's popularity and high audience ratings shows that if you give people excellent character arcs you don't need giant space battles for the entire movie (still some though).

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

To be fair he was brought onto Batman v Superman very late in the process by Ben Affleck, who directed his screenplay Argo (it was a David S. Goyer written film before that, hence why it's so bad in a Goyer way). And we all know Justice League was a shit show from the start due to the attempt at a change in tone after Batman v Superman bombed from "grimdark" to something more akin to the MCU in an attempt to "right the ship" (shooting started just days after Batman v Superman opened theatrically) and the change in director from Snyder to Whedon late in the process and the massive reshoots. But I'd credit Terrio more at least to Justice League than Batman v Superman. Even with The Rise of Skywalker JJ Abrams co-wrote it and directed it (as he did with TFA) so how much of it falls on the main creative guy making the movie (Abrams) or just some co-writer in Chris Terrio (or both of them) is a matter of proportionality. I'd say 70% Abrams, 30% Terrio.

Either way, you definitely could say 0-3 in terms of credits. He's definitely proved he can't write genre fiction. 

Yeah that's pretty much my take on it. I'd be curious to see what he could do left to his own devices with no directors to fuck his work up.

36 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They had to reset the board because Rian killed Snoke and turned Hux into a bumbling boob. JJ had always planned for Kylo Ren to turn back to the light side.  He needed a villain.

Why do you need Snoke to be the main villain? Why does it matter what JJ originally planned since he was not originally planned to do 9? And who cares about Hux who was never a compelling main villain and was more memorable as the guy who got abused than the generic Nazi who gave that speech nobody could take seriously in TFA?

Kylo Ren's a great villain. I dunno, utilize the lonely, bitter soul who had the door shut on him and now commands an army to be the villain since you were perfectly set up for that and the Resistance has 30 people left by the end of TLJ?

I would wager that Palpatine is on screen for less than ten minutes in the OT. And he was rad. He’s not a thing in ANH at all, he’s barely seen / felt in ESB, he basically walks onto Jedi fully formed. The notion that we need some multi movie build up to the ultimate big bad is nonsense, and the notion that Snoke being killed necessarily made RoS weaker because of that is also kinda trashy.

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Why do you need Snoke to be the main villain? Why does it matter what JJ originally planned since he was not originally planned to do 9? And who cares about Hux who was never a compelling main villain and was more memorable as the guy who got abused than the generic Nazi who gave that speech nobody could take seriously in TFA?

Kylo Ren's a great villain. I dunno, utilize the lonely, bitter soul who had the door shut on him and now commands an army to be the villain since you were perfectly set up for that and the Resistance has 30 people left by the end of TLJ?

The idea that we should care about what JJ intended back in 2014/15 is not a good one, either. Lucas, even during the filming of ESB, intended to have ROTJ be the battle between Luke and Vader. The Emperor was going to be saved for 7 through 9, with a second Jedi helping Luke (no, there is another...). But his divorce and near-bankruptcy changed his mind, and he decided to wrap it up in ROTJ instead. Personally, I don't like the idea that the author's own intent doesn't matter. It does. But it also changes, so original intent matters less than what they finally settled on.

7 hours ago, Brick said:

He doesn't even have that many screenwriting credits. Seriously, go IMDb him. How he got something as big as Star Wars with such a spotty record is baffling. 

He has an Oscar man... that means something in Hollywood. So him getting these jobs is not surprising to me... he was hot shit after winning that Oscar and these deals are often made years in advance. Either way, I don't think he's the problem with these films as @Greatoneshere pointed out.

I will say that there really wasn't a big bad in the series left for the 3rd movie. Kylo/Ben should be in the throes of exacting revenge against the Resistance and also conflicted about his bond with Rey and trying to turn her. He just never felt like one that was a supreme leader of the galaxy. And I do think there needs to be a bad guy.

Hux was a fucking cartoon character from the moment he gave the speech on Starkiller. So I think he doesn't qualify.

Really, if I were doing it, I'd have Thrawn come out of the Unknown Regions (after disappearing to there in Rebels) with the Katana Fleet.

New ships in the Katana fleet (toys!), "new" character (People would go mad over Thrawn), and with this, the quest for dominance through the First Order with the most brilliant tactical mind in the galaxy would be an insanely good bad guy setup. 

It presents a real threat for the Resistance and any worlds that may be sympathetic to that cause. It's a tactical challenge that could present some moments for Lando to lead the Resistance with Poe in terms of tactics. AND it sets up an appropriate conflict in the leadership of the First Order to counter Kylo Ren's obsessive search for Rey. 

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I would wager that Palpatine is on screen for less than ten minutes in the OT. And he was rad. He’s not a thing in ANH at all, he’s barely seen / felt in ESB, he basically walks onto Jedi fully formed. The notion that we need some multi movie build up to the ultimate big bad is nonsense, and the notion that Snoke being killed necessarily made RoS weaker because of that is also kinda trashy.

Yeah, you just know he exists (The Emperor has dissolved the Senate) but that's it. "We needed Snoke!" No, you really didn't, unless writers have no imagination and can only repeat a story we've seen.

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

People say this, but why? There are tonnes of great movies out there where one of the main characters struggles with their past, and turns back to the side of good without needing a larger threat to team up against. There is great story in internal conflict, and Driver is one of the best actors of his generation to show that conflict.

A (very simple) example of such a conflict would be: Have ROS take place a year or two after TLJ with a resurgent Resistance. Have Ben be completely obsessed with Rey and finding her, and turning her. Have Hux and others plan against Ben as they see him and his obsession as a liability to their new-found domination of the galaxy. Ben struggles to maintain command of the FO while needing to turn Rey. Have Rey fight him while the Resistance takes on the FO under Hux (while Hux also tries to kill Ben), and have Ben realize that he could have helped build a new order with Rey from the beginning if he'd just dropped the villain aspect. He can still save Rey and her friends by killing Hux, etc, but they don't need to be a giant threat. You could also still work in the dyad aspect by having Rey neuter him by taking away his (and her) force abilities or something, leaving him alive at the end but not a threat, and on the path towards redemption.

I realize that it's Star Wars and not Star Drama, but I think TLJ's popularity and high audience ratings shows that if you give people excellent character arcs you don't need giant space battles for the entire movie (still some though).

I think you need a villain in a Star Wars movie.  There are ways of doing it without one, but IMHO, having a villain is integral to what I want out of one.

After the first scene in TLJ, where he was portrayed as an incompetent, Hux was never going to be "the" villain.

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Why do you need Snoke to be the main villain? Why does it matter what JJ originally planned since he was not originally planned to do 9? And who cares about Hux who was never a compelling main villain and was more memorable as the guy who got abused than the generic Nazi?

You don't need Snoke to be the main villain, JJ proved that in RoS.  I do, however, think that this trilogy would have been better (and certainly more cohesive) if Snoke had been the villain.

Kylo Ren was clearly always intended to have a similar character arc to Vader.  I think JJ cares what he originally intended, and since he made RoS, his opinion matters.

At its end, TLJ didn't leave an alternative for a compelling main villain other than Kylo Ren, or someone new. 

I, for one, would have been very disappointed if his character arc of redemption, that was clearly foreshadowed in TFA, didn't come to fruition.

13 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Yeah, you just know he exists (The Emperor has dissolved the Senate) but that's it. "We needed Snoke!" No, you really didn't, unless writers have no imagination and can only repeat a story we've seen.

Yeah you know he exists and you didn't even know he was a Force User until Empire. The way it's presented in A New Hope, you'd think Vader is the only Force user on the Empire's side. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah you know he exists and you didn't even know he was a Force User until Empire. The way it's presented in A New Hope, you'd think Vader is the only Force user on the Empire's side. 

Lucas originally did not intend the Emperor to be a Sith, merely a corrupt politician.  I've read that it wasn't until he decided that Vader and Anakin Skywalker were the same person (at some time during Empire's pre-production), that he made the change.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Lucas originally did not intend the Emperor to be a Sith, merely a corrupt politician.  I've read that it wasn't until he decided that Vader and Anakin Skywalker were the same person (at some time during Empire's pre-production), that he made the change.

And yet “They are clearly making it up as they go, this is why the sequel trilogy is bad” is bandied about all over the place :silly:

45 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The issue is, as I see it, and some may disagree, but Rose was a casting choice was to add diversity among the characters. She helps some feel more connected to the stories.  So even if it isn’t what it looks like, sidelining her can make people feel there is a message that if internet trolls make enough noise, bigotry will be rewarded. 

She could have been handled better if they really wanted to. 

Of course, that's a huge part of it. The character was added to give an "everyman" perspective to this grand adventure. Even if it was another white dude, dropping that character feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. But when it's one of the only non-white actors in your story (and the target of trolls), that definitely looks bad. And yeah, they could have easily handled her better. Like I said, she doesn't need a huge story arc of her own or anything. Put her on the Falcon, give her a character beat or two. One of her only lines in this movie is basically "hey I'm gonna sit this one out". It's rough. 

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

And yet “They are clearly making it up as they go, this is why the sequel trilogy is bad” is bandied about all over the place :silly:

Yeah, that's not a good opinion. I would agree with the following statement, however: Planning it ahead of time ensures a more consistent level of quality (in plot), but does not guarantee good quality. So a plan is probably safer, but the overally quality is not guaranteed either way. The PT was much more planned than the OT and it sucked. But then again, the ST was less planned than the OT and it wasn't as good as the OT.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

At least with the original trilogy, you had Lucas to ensure that all three movies had a consistent vision (even if he hadn't planned it all out to begin with).

I do think this trilogy would have been better with something similar.  Instead you have a middle movie that is clearly out of place with the other two.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

At least with the original trilogy, you had Lucas to ensure that all three movies had a consistent vision (even if he hadn't planned it all out to begin with).

I do think this trilogy would have been better with something similar.  Instead you have a middle movie that is clearly out of place with the other two.

Out of place in the sense that it was beautifully shot, consistent, and had a meaning greater than "this is fun."

44 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Out of place in the sense that it was beautifully shot, consistent, and had a meaning greater than "this is fun."

Out of place in that it portrayed the hero of the previous trilogy as an uncaring, grumpy old man, had the worst story arc in all of the movies (everything to do with finding the master codebreaker and the casino scene), was almost devoid of interesting action scenes (other than Rey/Kylo fighting the Praetorian guards), had large story components based on a confusing premise (why the FO couldn't send a star destroyer to "jump" close to the fleeing fleet), killing what we all thought was the main villain (Snoke) in a way that wasn't even climactic to the scene in which it happened.

It may very well be a "better" movie in the theory of "film craft" -- but I certainly enjoyed it a lot less than the original trilogy and TFA/RoS largely because of the plot choices made in those films.  (But hey, at least it wasn't a bad movie like Revenge of the Sith.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I can totally see that. There was ZERO indication in A New Hope that the Emperor had any connection to The Force. Tarkin explicitly says to Vader that he is "the last remnant of a forgotten religion" or something to that effect. BUT, I will say that after watching Revenge of The Sith yesterday, I don't think most people knew that Palpatine was a Sith Lord. He tells everyone that he was disfigured in an attempted assasination by the Jedi. So I can totally see most in The Empire thinking that Vader was the last one left.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

No you don't. You have a middle movie that took what was established in the first movie and built on it. Then you had a creatively bankrupt and cowardly decision to play it safe with the third movie to appease mouth breathing internet trolls. JJ could have built on what Rian set up in the second movie and went in whatever direction he wanted to. He didn't. And let's not forget that The Force Awakens (which I am watching as I type this) is the movie that established that Luke went into self imposed exile after losing Ben to The Dark Side. Rian took that ball and ran with it and did a great job in my opnion.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Out of place in that it portrayed the hero of the previous trilogy as an uncaring, grumpy old man, had the worst story arc in all of the movies (everything to do with finding the master codebreaker and the casino scene), was almost devoid of interesting action scenes (other than Rey/Kylo fighting the Praetorian guards), had large story components based on a confusing premise (why the FO couldn't send a star destroyer to "jump" close to the fleeing fleet), killing what we all thought was the main villain (Snoke) in a way that wasn't even climactic to the scene in which it happened.

It may very well be a "better" movie in the theory of "film craft" -- but I certainly enjoyed it a lot less than the original trilogy and TFA/RoS largely because of the plot choices made in those films.  (But hey, at least it wasn't a bad movie like Revenge of the Sith.)

No one thought Snoke was the main villain.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No you don't. You have a middle movie that took what was established in the first movie and built on it. Then you had a creatively bankrupt and cowardly decision to play it safe with the third movie to appease mouth breathing internet trolls. JJ could have built on what Rian set up in the second movie and went in whatever direction he wanted to. He didn't. And let's not forget that The Force Awakens (which I am watching as I type this) is the movie that established that Luke went into self imposed exile after losing Ben to The Dark Side. Rian took that ball and ran with it and did a great job in my opnion.

Luke's motivations for going into exile were unknown.  There were ways that could have been handled without turning him into a grumpy old man.

IMHO, Rian subverted expectations from the first movie.  Some people liked what he did, others did not.

JJ could have done a lot of things.

18 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

No one thought Snoke was the main villain.

:shrug:  All of the internet theories of Snoke being Darth Plagueis run counter to that.

10 hours ago, Brick said:

He doesn't even have that many screenwriting credits. Seriously, go IMDb him. How he got something as big as Star Wars with such a spotty record is baffling. 

It's because he won an oscar for writing Argo and when Affleck brought him on to do on-set rewrites of Batman v Superman and then brought him on to write Justice League that was that, he was a blockbuster movie screenwriter. That's how it happened. :) 

The reason so many blockbuster movies are bad is because almost always, the writers have a very spotty track record, but they are writers who don't care so they'll take studio and producer notes and make a safe, stupid movie. That's why we get so few truly excellent Hollywood blockbuster films like Logan, Blade Runner 2049, The Dark Knight and Mad Max: Fury Road (you know, the standard mainline Star Wars films should be going for, yet people are accepting Rise of Skywalker as "good" lol).

It all starts with writers, and Hollywood blockbuster films usually hire trash writers.